Thomas Paine, Common Sense, and a sad Hack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  14:35:21  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems Glenn Beck, everyone's favorite, FOX NOOZ whiner has a brand new book out. Me, I wasn't all that sure he could read and comprehend a book, let alone write one. Hell, I'm still not...

Last week I put up a post mocking Glenn Beck (redundant I know) claiming that his "book", if that's what you want to call it, is dedicated to and inspired by Thomas Paine -- and Beck obviously thinks he is the modern day Paine.

Um, bullshit, and here's a few Paine quotes to demonstrate it:
This is worth a read if only for the Paine quotes.

"When I contemplate the natural dignity of man; when I feel (for Nature has not been kind enough to me to blunt my feelings) for the honor and happiness of its character, I become irritated at the attempt to govern mankind by force and fraud, as if they were all knaves and fools, and can scarcely avoid disgust at those who are thus imposed upon." ~~ Thomas Paine

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  00:26:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are beautiful Paine quotes. Thomas Paine, who may indeed be better read in Europe and elsewhere than in his own land. I especially liked this one of Paine's, which assures me that at least one of the Founding Fathers would understand that our age needs its own way of achieving its freedoms:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead?
Thanks, Thom! (You, too, Fil.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:40:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glen Beck is reaching new heights of retardation.

He basically takes all of Paine's book, puts it in his own book (so he has to write less, I guess), and then vomits up a few paragraphs of his own that inevitably miss the point of Paine's words entirely.

Glen Beck, your writing is dreck!

Possibly the best example of Beck's retardation is the fact that he uses Paine's book as a basis for his book then goes on TV and says that he is not calling for armed insurection, but peacefull Ghandi-like protest! Paine and Ghandi would never have been friends...

This guy is a total whackjob.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:48:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish someone would put him out of our misery.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.