Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  16:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Originally posted by Dave W.

So who's lying?
They are politicians, so the safe answer is: All of them.
Turns out that his wife was lying for him. She's apparently known about the affair for five months, but when asked this weekend, she claimed that her philandering husband needed time away from the kids to write a book. It's understandable that she tried to protect him, but she sure didn't try very hard, did she?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  17:27:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she didn't try very hard because after five months of knowing (and being away from the family on Father's Day to see her), she didn't care if the story got out. Just a thought.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  22:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It is French to be with a woman, it is American to get caught"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  02:06:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As might be expected:
Governor Mark Sanford's admission that he has had an affair with a woman from Argentina, whom he met through the exchange of emails, promises to spark yet another round of reflection and debate over how significant a politician's personal life is when judging their professional conduct.

The South Carolina Republican, who apologized to his wife, family, staff and friends, said that he was willing to face the consequences of his actions. One of those was consequences was immediate, facing the judgment of the press, he said. Another was his resignation from the chairmanship of the Republican Governors Association. Whether the consequences extend to his resignation from the governor's chair remains to be seen.

The standard Sanford has set for other politicians over the years has been fairly high. A member of the House of Representatives during the heyday of the Clinton-Lewinsky affair, he was often a harsh critic of the president for his marital misconduct.

This is "very damaging stuff," Sanford declared at one point, when details of Clinton's conduct became known. "I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign)... I come from the business side," he said. "If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he'd be gone."

Explaining his decision to back impeachment articles against Clinton, he added, "I think what he did in this matter was reprehensible... I feel very comfortable with my vote."

Sanford's complaints were directed primarily, although not entirely, at Clinton's lying about the affair rather than the affair itself. At one point, however, he proclaimed that Clinton was likely to get away with his infidelities and indiscretion because he already had the perception of someone who was untrustworthy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  02:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When this story began, I was actually more than a little sympathetic, thinking Governor Sanford had the guts to just take off for a long hike on the Appalachian Trail to get his head together after his state's legislative session was complete. Deserting his post without putting the Lieutenant Governor in charge is inexcusable, but at least the "hike" seemed a very human and humble sort of thing to do. I thought Sanford was foolhardy, probably too foolhardy to allow him to retain his office, but I also felt the "hike" itself was anything but evil.

Alas (to paraphrase Oliver Hardy), that "hike" was a yet another fine myth a Republican has tried to get us into.

An international affair with transportation costs on the State's dime is definitely indefensible and a career-ender. The arrogance, corruption, and hypocrisy of this pro-family, tax-cutting, anti-state-spending man is astounding. And now, in one of the GOP's strongholds of the Deep South, even there, the Republican Party is coming unraveled.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  03:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apart from the schadenfreude & hypocrisy aspects of the situation, I really don't care what he was doing or with whom. His sex life is between himself and his family, and if they can live with it, I certainly can. What juices my ulcer is the blatant abdication of his responsibilities as governor of SC and, as you say, traveling on the state's dime to do it. For that, he should be removed from office forthwith.

I'm now reading that Sanford's aids were in the know, and they probably were, but have seen nothing solid to support the story.

The final question I have on this (for now) is: how long does it take to fly to Argentina, dump the extracurricular girlfriend, and fly back? He was gone nigh a week -- that long?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sanford claimed that Clinton's lying about Lewinski was "reprehensible." Now, perhaps Sanford himself didn't lie about the affair, but what is he going to do about his "reprehensible" wife and staff?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best part of this so far, other than the incredible hypocrisy, was when FAUX listed this guy as a democrat! (D)Mark Sanford!

FAUX ROCKS!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  09:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the emails: http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:22:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

Read the emails: http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html
There's poon under the moon in June, eh? Sorry, couldn't resist...

No, I only read a small part of the correspondence before getting slightly queasy. Second-hand voyeurism ain't my style -- first-hand is just so much better.

I dunno, this whole thing is on track from being startling, to really very funny, to becoming mildly disgusting. It's Clinton all over again, doubled up, and it will be a good long time before we finally and mercifully hear the last of it.

Y'see, it's not the lies nor the malfeasance that attracts all the attention, no. It's the sex, not that other boring shit. So it was with Clinton, so it will be with Sanford, whatever the sanctimonious posturing of our equally hypocritical, national media.

Hey, to hell with Sanford's love life -- we already know too much about that and it's nothing that anyone else is incapable of. You can't bust him for getting laid so bust him for what's illegal and let his family and his constituents take care of the rest.

The long and short of it is: "Stick a fork in him, he's done!"

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thoughts of The Rude Pundit. You knew there'd be some, didn't you?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  09:00:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed Brayton, Rush Limbaugh is blaming this on Obama!

The second commentator there shoots that idiot down:

Sorry Rush, but Sanford admits his relationship with Argentina-gal began 5 years ago, during the Bush administration!

Posted by: Ann Klein | June 26, 2009 9:36 AM

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 06/26/2009 09:01:44
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  12:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

The thoughts of The Rude Pundit. You knew there'd be some, didn't you?

Imagine that. The Rude Pundit's web site is block at the Wells County Public Library.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  20:02:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

"Don't cry for me Argentina," eh?

I doubt if even he is stupid enough to put his borderline treason (couldn't he at least philander American? ) on SC's dime. But should it come out that he did, the repercussions will be severe for him and the entire Republican Party. After all, Sanford was considered "Mr. Conservative." This also flenses the presidential field nearly to the bone. Who the hell is left than is not a proven idiot?

At the moment, it could be that Mitt Romney might get the elephant's call to be skinned alive by Obama. Of course, that could change and he goes with an unknown -- a better option, I think.

Ah Schadenfreude, thy kiss is so sweet, thy breath so soothing unto my soul....

Edit: Uh-oh....

Dammit!

Can't HE even put Americans to work?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.