Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  13:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What Simon said, filthy. Typing "Erich von Däniken" results in "Erich von Däniken"

Try alt+132 (i.e. hold the alt key while pressing previously mentioned numbers on the numerical keyboard). It might seem sad that I know this by heart, but there you have it.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Science Pricktion

Originally posted by filthy

Someone explain how the pyramids in Egypt were built please.
Why, with the period versions of backhoes, bucket loaders and cranes, of course. What kind of a lame-assed question is that? Are you an Erich von Daniken fan?
Wow, a punctuation Nazi.

If you'd learn to write and behave in an appropriate manner, you wouldn't stir them up, now would you?

I don't know how to do an umlaut on a computer. Comments?

Where did I "misbehave" or punctuate incorrectly? What is the deal with the black "8" in all your posts? Are you racist? Are you hinting towards a stereotype? Or are you black? I am confused.

That von Daniken seems like a cool cat. You folks don't believe that the Egyptians built the pyramids do you?
Your postings are obviously intended to to be contentious rather than merely in disagreement, your spelling and punctuation are sloppy, and you are not at all confused. I am caucasian, mostly, and if you cannot figure out the , please don't take up pool, snooker or billiards. You will be skinned alive by the hustlers, who will laugh when they do it. I tell you this as a friend and former hustler.

Do you have a better explanation for the Pyramids? If not the Egyptians, then who? Or what? Please present your arguments, if you have them.

von Däniken is just another woo-artist, up from petty criminal & tax cheat, writing books that impress the ignorant and the dewy-eyed, wishful dreamers. He's done quite well at it. You don't really believe that the drivers of the Chariots of the Gods built the Pyramids, do you?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:31:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

What Simon said, filthy. Typing "Erich von Däniken" results in "Erich von Däniken"

Try alt+132 (i.e. hold the alt key while pressing previously mentioned numbers on the numerical keyboard). It might seem sad that I know this by heart, but there you have it.
Thanks, bro. I'll try it. The link Simon posted has all sorts on neat wiggles that I'm going to try out as well, whether I actually use them or not. A man likes to right write, rite?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he a tax-cheat too? Like Ken Ham?

Also, that's a good question. Does the 8 ball have a special meaning? I don't remember you mentioning snooker before.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:53:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Also, that's a good question. Does the 8 ball have a special meaning? I don't remember you mentioning snooker before.
"Behind the eightball" refers to a situation where a player has no shot and shoots in such a way that the cue ball hits the proper ball, so as not to incur a penalty, and then goes behind another, blocking his opponent's shot. It is also referred to as "snookered."

At one time, many years ago, snooker was my game. I loved the delicacy and precision of it. I used to shoot a lot of eightball in the waterfront bars. Sailors and bikers are the world's biggest suckers when it comes to the table. They all think they're Minnesota Fats.

I gave my cue away when I left the service. Pretty much gave up cards as well. Going to work will do that to you.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  15:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I was familiar with the concept, not the expression to describe it...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  19:10:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kent Hovind is the tax-cheat.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  19:40:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, you are right. My apologies to Ken Ham.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  20:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, you are right. My apologies to Ken Ham.
One could argue that Ken Ham knows what's he's doing is all a scam, and so he'd be a tax cheat, too (just harder to prosecute).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Landrew

44 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:03:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Landrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Landrew

I have faith in things that stand up to questioning, critical testing and are derived from rational arguments and good evidence.
The only way that is "faith" is if you begin with a firm footing in solipsism. It's possible to climb out of that philosphical cess pool without needing to have faith in reality.
I'm no solipsist; I think you can get crushed by the tree falling in the forest that you didn't hear. By the same token things could be real that we may believe don't exist. You can't explain all the unknowns by declaring "X=0."

However, I should clarify that I have faith in the methods that deliver assertions that stand up to questioning and critical testing.

God bless women, for without them there would be no cookies.
Edited by - Landrew on 06/30/2009 22:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Science Pricktion

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  08:46:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Science Pricktion a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why, with the period versions of backhoes, bucket loaders and cranes, of course. What kind of a lame-assed question is that? Are you an Erich von Daniken fan?
Wow, a punctuation Nazi.

If you'd learn to write and behave in an appropriate manner, you wouldn't stir them up, now would you?

Where did I "misbehave" or punctuate incorrectly? What is the deal with the black "8" in all your posts? Are you racist? Are you hinting towards a stereotype? Or are you black? I am confused.

That von Daniken seems like a cool cat. You folks don't believe that the Egyptians built the pyramids do you?
Your postings are obviously intended to to be contentious rather than merely in disagreement, your spelling and punctuation are sloppy, and you are not at all confused. I am caucasian, mostly, and if you cannot figure out the , please don't take up pool, snooker or billiards. You will be skinned alive by the hustlers, who will laugh when they do it. I tell you this as a friend and former hustler.

Do you have a better explanation for the Pyramids? If not the Egyptians, then who? Or what? Please present your arguments, if you have them.

von Däniken is just another woo-artist, up from petty criminal & tax cheat, writing books that impress the ignorant and the dewy-eyed, wishful dreamers. He's done quite well at it. You don't really believe that the drivers of the Chariots of the Gods built the Pyramids, do you?

Sure thing, cue ball.

Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  08:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, how do you pronounce Glück?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  09:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a better explanation for the Pyramids? If not the Egyptians, then who?
Slaves that Egyptians imported from other thier surroundings, like the valley of River Jordan?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:30:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow, a punctuation Nazi.

Sure thing, cue ball.
Sorry, but that is not an acceptable answer to the question of who built the Pyramids and how. I have posted a link to the current theory in answer to your question, now, in common courtsy, you are called upon to respond in kind. Are you capable of that? Do you have any pertenant information, or are you just another ignoramous trying to be a smartass?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:53:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Landrew

I'm no solipsist; I think you can get crushed by the tree falling in the forest that you didn't hear. By the same token things could be real that we may believe don't exist. You can't explain all the unknowns by declaring "X=0."

However, I should clarify that I have faith in the methods that deliver assertions that stand up to questioning and critical testing.
There's no reason for faith there, either. Those methods have had centuries of practice behind them, demonstrating their reliability.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.