New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  14:54:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Filthy, where are you coming from and what route are you taking to get there? I live right on 64 between Charleston and Lexington. If you're driving by and want someone to help pay for some of that gas, pick me up on your way. This sounds to good to pass up!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  15:29:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by knightmare

Hey Filthy, where are you coming from and what route are you taking to get there? I live right on 64 between Charleston and Lexington. If you're driving by and want someone to help pay for some of that gas, pick me up on your way. This sounds to good to pass up!
I'll be coming up from Oxford, NC on the 6th, some 580 miles, if I've figured it right. My route is I-85s, I-40w, I-77n, I-64w, I-75n, hammer down. I'd planned to grab a cheap motel room somewhere around Petersburg and have my sneering snarling smiling face at the gate when they open it.

At this point, I still haven't ruled the bike (a lot less money & a lot faster than the tired, old, slush-box Chevy) out so I can promise nothing, but we'll see.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  16:31:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's cool. I'll look into other options for getting myself there, but I'll leave that one open, just in case.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  16:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by knightmare

That's cool. I'll look into other options for getting myself there, but I'll leave that one open, just in case.

Laters
Yeah, me too, and it's a good idea provided you're not so far away as to not make the "museum" by by 10am. I can simply stop sooner than I'd planned, I've looked it up and can't seem to find Charleston, KY in the atlas. Is it close to Lexington? Not WVA, I hope; that's a lot of road, there to Lexington.

Shoot me a PM on it.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  06:56:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's off....

The only thing that could have stopped me from going to the "museum" has happened. My eldest grandson, River Otter's boy, rolled his pickup at high speed and is in the hospital with head and hip injuries. She is a single parent and I will be needed.

Phillip's hip isn't as bad as first thought, but the head injury is worrisome. He has partial paralysis in the muscles in his right eye, although the vision itself is ok. This might or might not correct itself. The hip is probably going to be a long time healing.

On the bright side, it's a wonder he survived it, and I suspect that he'll slow down a bit in the future. And, I can wear the new Coelacanth Rescue Mission tee I ordered to get in Ham's face, when I cripple-sit.

Knightmare, if you make it there, say "hey from Duvenoy" for me....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  08:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frack-static that does suck monkey balls.

My deepest sympathies to you, Otter and Phillip and best wishes for his prompt and complete recovery.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  09:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It's off....

The only thing that could have stopped me from going to the "museum" has happened. My eldest grandson, River Otter's boy, rolled his pickup at high speed and is in the hospital with head and hip injuries. She is a single parent and I will be needed.

Phillip's hip isn't as bad as first thought, but the head injury is worrisome. He has partial paralysis in the muscles in his right eye, although the vision itself is ok. This might or might not correct itself. The hip is probably going to be a long time healing.

On the bright side, it's a wonder he survived it, and I suspect that he'll slow down a bit in the future. And, I can wear the new Coelacanth Rescue Mission tee I ordered to get in Ham's face, when I cripple-sit.

Knightmare, if you make it there, say "hey from Duvenoy" for me....

I sure am sorry that this happened to your grandson, and I feel for River Otter and yourself, as well. Much as it would have been nice to piss all over Ham's freak show exhibits in Kaintuck, I'm sure that little pleasure pales in comparison to matters of real atheist family values.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  10:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, by my count you've got 22 days to fix your grandkid and get some skeptical testing done, at the same time. How? Simple: line up faith healers and other juju-men to come heal your grandkid. If it doesn't work, you'll have reams more data about their dishonesty.

If someone's magic does work, though, not only will g-kid be spared lots of pain and recovery, and not only will you get megabucks as an advance for your memoirs, but you'll also get to go meet PZ at Ken Ham's misnomer on August 7th!

Looks to me like it's win-win!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  11:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

filthy, by my count you've got 22 days to fix your grandkid and get some skeptical testing done, at the same time. How? Simple: line up faith healers and other juju-men to come heal your grandkid. If it doesn't work, you'll have reams more data about their dishonesty.

If someone's magic does work, though, not only will g-kid be spared lots of pain and recovery, and not only will you get megabucks as an advance for your memoirs, but you'll also get to go meet PZ at Ken Ham's misnomer on August 7th!

Looks to me like it's win-win!
Yes, it's certainly an excellent thought. One problem: neither Otter nor Phillip would let any part of that freak show anywhere near them. I suppose there is a downside to having a skeptical family.

Maybe, one day, we can load up the whole, rowdy bunch and visit Big Money en masse, disagreeable in our attitudes and resplendent in our fine Coelacanth Rescue Mission tee-shirts.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  13:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The second problem is that none of these 'healers' does so out of goodness sake.
You'd have to spend quite a bit of good money for their bad theatricals...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  14:58:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope he gets to feelin' better. If I make it to the museum, I'll be sure pass along your "hey from Duvenoy" to anyone who will listen to me. Here's to a speedy recovery (you can't see me, but I'm holding up a drink as if to say "cheers").
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  18:03:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy guacamole! At least 70 people are expected to show up!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  01:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the risk of sounding like a Democratic politician, it might be back on. Phillip's prognosis is a lot better. The orthopedics aren't nearly as bad as first thought and he should be fairly mobile with a walker (I've given him mine). Still not sure about the eye yet, but his brains aren't scrambled, at least no more scrambled than any kid's that age.

knightmare, if I do go, it will have to be on the Shovel. I can't afford to run anything else, and may have to borrow some $$ at that. Fixed income is another bummer.

Gonna try.....
Holy guacamole! At least 70 people are expected to show up!
And that's just the current estiment. How many more are there that simply said: "This I gotta see!" and quietly made plans? And not to mention the usual customers.

The downside of that is that Ham'll rake the gelt on this one and most of it will be from those who normally wouldn't give him the time of day.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  09:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... That's all pretty good news!

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  23:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

And that's just the current estiment. How many more are there that simply said: "This I gotta see!" and quietly made plans? And not to mention the usual customers.

The downside of that is that Ham'll rake the gelt on this one and most of it will be from those who normally wouldn't give him the time of day.
Actually, I predict that the downside is going to be that one or two people will act like dumbasses and get the whole lot with armbands thrown out, no refunds. And then Ham will ham it up (haha!) about how tremendously rude, vulgar and/or violent those horrible atheists were, regardless of whatever actually transpired.

This, much more than CrackerGate, is a public relations nightmare just waiting to happen. The creationists have no ethical qualms about lying for Jesus, so I think it's quite likely that at least one person is going to show up, broadcast his/her fake atheism loudly, and harrass or even assault an innocent museum patron. This person (or people) will "take one for the team" in order to further the creationist cause, and without any direction from Ham about it (or buttloads of plausible deniability).

I think PZ should have tried to keep this on the down-low. Statements like "You should also tell them [the creationists] that all the people with armbands are laughing at them" will just prompt "them" towards false-flag operations, based on how "they" think atheists behave (badly).

After all, given the "this I gotta see" crowd that you mention, it's quite likely that PZ isn't going to be able to identify any particular troublemaker as being "with" him, so at best he'll likely say, "I have no idea who Joe Schmoe the dumbass was." And the liars-for-Jesus are going to claim that without God's guidance, PZ has no basis for morality and so is a likely liar who really told Mr. Schmoe to be a dickhead on purpose.

Back in the old Usenet days, the rule-of-thumb was that for every person who posted messages to a Usenet group, there were 10 people who read but never posted (lurkers). The idea that this rule would hold for real-life meet-ups suggests that PZ is going to find himself surrounded by nearly 800 armbands, which I find unlikely. But 140 doesn't seem out-of-the-question, given 70 RSVPs. But even an extra 35 or so would be ungovernable when the only "authority figure" is PZ himself.

Think about it: on organized tours, people generally listen to the tour guides' instructions about where to go and what to do, and the tour organizers make sure to have enough tour guides to cover however many people are going on the tour, and as with teachers in grade school, the ratio tends to be one guide for every 20 or 30 people, to ensure managable groups. PZ's thing, however, is only really going to have one tour guide (PZ hisownself), and he's not going to be able to maintain order.

I certainly hope that my predictions here are wrong, but I've been in more than one situation where I mistakenly thought that the people around me shared my sense of appropriate behavior. All that's really needed is for one free-thinker to get a tiny bit uppity with a fundamentalist security guard (all employees of the museum have to sign a "statement of faith") for the whole thing to come a nasty and abrupt end, with the local cops arresting dozens and spending the whole weekend trying to figure out who did what to whom.

Were I able to go, I'd decline to wear an armband just to have some plausible deniability, myself. (My SFN button and t-shirt would probably give it away, though.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds.