Locating Bigfoot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  06:52:39  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting method for locating the hairy one himself.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, for a minute there, I thought you were referring those grotesque appendages hanging off Dave_W's ankles. Silly me!

Quite a good article, actually. But I think that all Bigfoot sightings, like Nessie, were made either through the optical effects caused by the bottoms of beer bottles, overactive imaginations, or spun from the whole cloth.

Sorry 'bout that, Dave -- couldn't resist.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
S'okay, filthy. I'm sure you know that you'll get yours, someday...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes good sense. It reminds me of when I was taking my mother and sister for a tour of Washington's Olympic Peninsula when they visited me in 2003. We were on a long straight stretch of two-lane road in a flat, densely forested area. About a quarter mile ahead, a large animal ran across the road. My first (silent) mental identification was A gorilla! A second later, I chuckled and thought, No, of course not, this isn't Africa! I told my kin, "Look, a black bear!"

I've always thought since then that my brief but absurd initial identification was strange. But maybe it wasn't so different from mistakes made by other in Sasquatch Country. If someone thinks Bigfoot is a reasonable sighting, it might be easy to see a distant black bear as Bigfoot.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  09:07:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum, their point was that spurious data will produce spurious results.

But, the correlation between the produced model and that of a black bear, is logically identified by the authors as meaning that many Bigfoot sighting were actually Black bear sightings.

But that also means that the data was not so spurious after all.
They were the produced of the sighting (and misinterpretation) of a REAL specie, the black bear.
This sort of defeat their whole point, no?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:02:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

S'okay, filthy. I'm sure you know that you'll get yours, someday...
Heh, yeah. But yer gonna take a number and have a seat in the waiting room......
I've always thought since then that my brief but absurd initial identification was strange. But maybe it wasn't so different from mistakes made by other in Sasquatch Country. If someone thinks Bigfoot is a reasnable sighting, it might be easy to see a distant black bear as Bigfoot.

Oh yes. What with all of the Bigfoot/Yeti hype floating around, the image is stuck in our minds, and we all know the treachery that wretched organ is capable of.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole thing started as a practical joke back in the 50s? If so, well done!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  15:47:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole thing started as a practical joke back in the 50s? If so, well done!

I think you may be confusing Bigfoot with crop circles.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  16:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I think you may be confusing Bigfoot with crop circles.
No, no, I seem to recall a fuzzy home movie of some guy in a monkey suit that eventually confessed to the hoax. I think I'll look it up.

Edit: Ok, got it. I had the decade wrong, and they did not confess the hoax, but the flick is called the Patterson-Gimlin film.

The Patterson-Gimlin film (also referred to as simply the Patterson film) is a short motion picture of an unidentified subject filmed on October 20, 1967 by Roger Patterson (Wall, South Dakota, February 14, 1926 – January 15, 1972) and Robert Gimlin (Missouri, October 18, 1931) who claimed the film was a genuine recording of a Bigfoot. The film has been subjected to many attempts both to debunk and authenticate it. Some qualified scientists have judged the film a hoax with a man in an ape suit, but other scientists contend the film depicts an animal unknown to science, or cryptid, claiming it would be virtually impossible for a human to replicate the subject's gait and muscle movement.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/06/2009 16:28:31
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  17:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Penn & Teller did a bigfoot spoof video for their show Bullshit a couple seasons back too.

Released it on youtube, started a buz about it, and had "experts" saying it was everything from good to amazing evidence for bigfoot!

It was, in fact (duh), a guy in a monkey suit walking around in the woods.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

No, no, I seem to recall a fuzzy home movie of some guy in a monkey suit that eventually confessed to the hoax. I think I'll look it up.

Edit: Ok, got it. I had the decade wrong, and they did not confess the hoax, but the flick is called the Patterson-Gimlin film.
No, you got a different person. Ray Wallace was stomping around in fake feet in 1957, at least according to his family. They also claim he had some involvement in the Patterson-Gimlin film, but other researchers dispute that. Wallace's fake feet were big news in late 2002 and early 2003. See also Wallace's own Wikipedia entry.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that one of the two Peterson or Gimli might also have confessed.

There is a thread on the subject on the JREF fora with plenty of knowledgeable people.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  02:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by filthy

No, you got a different person. Ray Wallace was stomping around in fake feet in 1957, at least according to his family. They also claim he had some involvement in the Patterson-Gimlin film, but other researchers dispute that. Wallace's fake feet were big news in late 2002 and early 2003. See also Wallace's own Wikipedia entry.
Now I've got it straight. I think. I declare, this Bigfoot nonsense gets so tangled that the only claim with any credence at all is that the beastie ain't. Thanks for the info.

Edit: We've discussed it in here a few times with some true believers, but it's ben a while.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/07/2009 02:41:36
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  18:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wildest 'hypothesis' I ever heard proposed with a straight face was that they are shape-shifting interdimensional aliens.

I ask you, how the hell can any scientific investigation falsify that?! Some times you just have to chuckle, shake your head, and move on.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.