It has begun…
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  05:49:07  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was to be an embittered and profane rant about the Michael Jackson memorial, that promises to go on until the second coming of Quetzalcoatl, but it turns out that even I failed to realize just how insane it is -- Barnum and Bailey are bringing elephants, fucking elephants!, to this extravaganza of foul taste, and there is a movement afoot to get the state of CA to pay for it -- and sadly, as a skeptic, I should have seen it all.

According to PZ, and I firmly believe every word of it, Winfrey, Williams, and all of the other idiots on the toob are rounding up "psychics" who are claiming to be bosom buds with Jackson's ghost, including the shameless charlatans van Praagh and Sylvia Browne.

Ok, it is an embittered and profane rant, so sue me! A kind and decent person such as Farah Fawcett dies after a valiant struggle with a horrible disease and receives squat for coverage but Jackson is treated like a saint? Gimmie a fucking break!

On second thought, perhaps there's the better send-off; a quiet funeral attended by loving family and friends, rather than the obscene orgy beginning today. Rest in peace, dear Farah.

When will this garbage finally end? Every stinking news anchor in the frigging country is promoting this putrid event like it was the god-damned Olympics, and the end is not yet in sight.

Jackson is fucking dead, folks! He's yesterday's pork chop and he ain't coming back in any form that you might find appealing, no matter how much you delude yourselves into thinking that a great noise will line him up with the Christ and they'll return together, skipping happily along, hand in hand, and singing One Toke Over the Line. Dead is it, there is no coming back, so fucking suck it up imbeciles, it's all you're fucking getting.

I gotta go take my blood pressure meds....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  06:01:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Words worthy of The Rude One, Filthy. I agree entirely.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  07:49:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But wouldn't it be cool if he came back as a zombie to dance "Thriller"?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  07:53:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a pop icon, MJ was right up there with Elvis. Perhaps more so because he was able to do the cross culture thing, plus he was far weirder than Elvis ever was. I fully expect MJ sightings and MJ impersonators competing with the Elvis impersonators in Vegas. Hell, MJ's image has already shown up on a trimmed tree branch.

I'm not letting my knickers get in a bind over this. Overdoing it, for select individuals, is a part of our culture. I'm watching the show as an anthropologist might. Just like the way I collect new age crap, I am intrigued by by it.

Bring on the jugglers and the clowns. Have at it...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  08:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Words worthy of The Rude One, Filthy. I agree entirely.

High praise indeed; thank you!

That should not be considered a slap at Michael Jackson. He was quite a talented entertainer, albeit not to my taste. And he was something of a whacko who needed professional help that evidently he never received, or ignored.

No, my beef is with the imbecile segment of his fans who are showing themselves to be even bigger whackos than he, and the scumbag media, who never gave a syphilitic rat's ass about Jackson, dead or alive, but now see the opportunity to blow his death up into an international clusterfuck, no orifices, actual or figurative, unplumbed to their very depths.

And then, then they'll wring their hands and moan of the cost in gelt, and quite possibly crimes committed and lives lost in the partying. They'll whine tearfully of morality even as they cut to their equally culpable sponsors. Hypocritical assholes!

And then, there's the family -- Jackson left behind a considerable fortune, so why do I get the feeling that his children are going to be lawyerly and royally screwed? Oh, right.....

I'm disgusted by every minute of it.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  09:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that the elephants are there because the circus occupying the same venue....AFTER the funeral.

Still, it is a HUGE farce.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  13:04:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

My understanding is that the elephants are there because the circus occupying the same venue....AFTER the funeral.

Still, it is a HUGE farce.
Hmph. That's what I get for paying any attention at all the the morning news. Worse yet, I know better.

I don't get cable or satellite (and feel no loss over most of it), so I don't know what transpired over the course of the day. But I'm sure I'll almost find out tonight.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  13:34:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

...Hell, MJ's image has already shown up on a trimmed tree branch....

Yeah, I saw the news clip today on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/07/06/ca.im.image.in.tree.kovr

Geez! Anyone can see its an image of Mike Baillie - you know, the famous Dendrologist!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Baillie

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  15:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I saw on the news this evening, the service (private) at least had a bit of dignity to it in spite of the gold! coffin. The expected celebrity crowd was there looking solemn, as the occasion called for.

I presume the blowout has by now started.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  06:31:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh-huh, and now, the fallout.
Officials in cash-strapped Los Angeles appealed to Michael Jackson fans for donations to cover the extraordinary security costs of Tuesday's public homage for the deceased pop star.

"We are asking Michael Jackson fans to help be a part of this event. We are asking them to contribute online and actually literally support this great memorial that you see behind us," Matt Szabo, press secretary to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, told CNN television.

"We are asking fans of Michael Jackson to help contribute to a world-class memorial for a world-class superstar by helping contribute to keeping this place safe," said Szabo, noting that the extravagant memorial service honoring the King of Pop comes at a time when the city already is down on its luck
Guess who's most likely to end up paying for the great bulk of it, if not the whole shitaree?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  23:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, The Way of the Master is to lie. Don't click the link. Just get this: Ray Comfort posts a video on YouTube titled "Michael Jackson's REAL cause of death! [OFFICIAL]" which after five minutes of mostly street envangelizing of "sinners," tells us that the real reason MJ died was becuase he sinned, period.

This is the first I knew that Australia had vultures.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  03:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Apparently, The Way of the Master is to lie. Don't click the link. Just get this: Ray Comfort posts a video on YouTube titled "Michael Jackson's REAL cause of death! [OFFICIAL]" which after five minutes of mostly street envangelizing of "sinners," tells us that the real reason MJ died was becuase he sinned, period.

This is the first I knew that Australia had vultures.
What a ghoul he is, that Comfort!

"OFFICIAL," is it? Since everyone dies, there sure must OFFICIALLY be a lot of that "sin" stuff going around.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/03/2009 03:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  09:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerry Falwell dies before Mickael Jackson, so he probably was a worse sinner.
Dawkins and Hitchens are still alive, though, it should tell us something.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.