Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Darwin rules, Discovery Institute drools!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  11:46:06  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that Richard Weikart has a new book out concerning the relationship of Hitler to Darwin, and Uncommon descent is all a'twitter over it -- are you paying attention, Mr. Godwin?
This should be interesting:

Book Description

In this book, Weikart helps unlock the mystery of Hitler's evil by vividly demonstrating the surprising conclusion that Hitler's immorality flowed from a coherent ethic. Hitler was inspired by evolutionary ethics to pursue the utopian project of biologically improving the human race. This ethic underlay or influenced almost every major feature of Nazi policy: eugenics (i.e., measures to improve human heredity, including compulsory sterilization), euthanasia, racism, population expansion, offensive warfare, and racial extermination.

More…
Don't bother to click the "More," it just takes you to the Amazon page from whence the above text was lifted.

I really must respond to this, quite briefly, and mercifully, and, as I can't do it over there, y'all will have to just grin and bear it in here.

Ok, it makes not the slightest bit of difference to Darwin's Theory of Evolution what Hitler or any other scumbag of the period did or did not believe. Is this not so?

Yes, it is so; beliefs change nothing. But that said, I'd like to toss a little shit in the game: did not the Nazi's eugenics programs, and the ghastly experiments carried out in their concentration camps more resemble attempts at intelligent design than evolution? Hmm?

I'd love to see someone shove that little gem up Dempski's narrow nose!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  15:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know filthy. When I think about Intelligent Design, I wonder since they have no labs can they do any experiments. Though what they do do is ghastly and abhorrent they do no experiments of any kind. That analogy doesn't work for me. That said what IDers do does closely resemble another aspect of Nazi Germany and Hitler. The Big Lie Though instead of Jews it's evolution.

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap." Richard Belzer

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  16:28:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Labs and science don't matter; it's the crap philosophy of it all. DI claims inspirational kinship between Darwin and the Nazis -- they've been doing it for years -- but yet the work of the Nazi's resembles intelligent design philosophy far more than anything to be found in Darwin's works. They were trying to "purify" the race to their own ideas as to what it should be, in short: design, even if the "intelligence" of it is open to severe question. Darwin, on the other hand, seemed content with the whole thing as it was.

At least with the Nazis, the "designers" were known rather than speculated upon with no evidential grounding at all.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.