'Futurama' getting new voices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  09:42:57  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Entertainment Week:
'Futurama' getting new voices for Fry, Leela, Bender, and others

Jul 17, 2009, 03:17 PM | by Margaret Lyons

Categories: Animation, Hell to the no!, News, Television, Things that are sad

Just when I was getting really excited for the revived Futurama, total bummer news emerges: The voice actors are going to be different. Who's going to Zoid my Zoidberg?

Twentieth Century Fox, which is still producing the series even though new episodes will air on Comedy Central, is recasting the major voice roles for the show. That means no more Billy West (Fry, Professor, and Ziodberg), Katey Sagal (Leela), John DiMaggio (Bender), Maurice LaMarche (Kif Kroker, among others), or Tress MacNeil (Mom, and several others). Worst!
Or, as Professor Farnsworth would say, "Good news, everyone! We're all being thrown out the airlock!"

The Daily What suggests writing in protest to the casting director.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  10:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My letter:

Well, look at the bright side. The new actors will probably never have the opportunity to ask for more money. That would require they be hired for at least one more season, which is hardly likely under current circumstances.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  11:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can all bite my lumpy fleshy ass!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  11:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Words fail me.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  11:11:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blasphemy!

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  20:32:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Reply:

This is an Automated Response:

Thank you for your submission for the casting of Futurama. Please note the following:

1. We will do our best to answer any emailed questions, but questions from agencies and managers will take priority.

2. If you are submitting an AUDIO AUDITION it MUST be a reading of the sides with your best match of the established characters, NOT a general VO Demo. Unfortunately, general VO demos will not be helpful for the re-casting of established characters.

3. Audio auditions MUST be in MP3 format. UPDATE: Good news everyone! I'll accept M4a auditions as well, due to overwhelming demand.

If you did not follow the above guidelines, no worries, just submit again following those guidlines.

The sides can be found on Sides Express or at the following link:

http://www.mysticla.com/Futurama/FuturamaSides.zip

The sides have links to clips of the show for use as reference.

When reading, please consider not only the voice, but the comedy as well. Auditions will be accepted until at least July 24th, 2009.

Thanks!!

Scott

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  06:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One news article suggested this is a negotiating tactic, and this was done before with The Simpsons...time will tell.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  06:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

One news article suggested this is a negotiating tactic, and this was done before with The Simpsons...time will tell.
It's possible that is Fox's tactic. If so, they may now find that it's badly backfiring.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  05:10:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epic Failure. Just a stupid, stupid move. If the voices don't match I'm not sure I can watch.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  14:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Epic Failure. Just a stupid, stupid move. If the voices don't match I'm not sure I can watch.

I agree.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  07:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://tv.ign.com/articles/100/1009858p1.html

YAY!!!

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:31:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

http://tv.ign.com/articles/100/1009858p1.html

YAY!!!
Yeah. The whole thing was a money negotiation and the producers decided to play hardball. It's not the first time that has happened either, by a long shot. I wonder if the studio ever expected to actually hire "new" voices as a possible outcome?

I doubt it.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  13:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wo0t! I'm on board! I've just inked my "I'll watch it all" contract.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  15:10:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received this email:

Futurama
to David

show details 1:39 PM (1 hour ago)

Follow up message

Dear Futurama Fan,

Thank you for voicing your strong support for Futurama and the original voice cast. We appreciate the time you took to fire off a thoughtful and/or concerned and/or homicidal e-mail message to our casting director, Scott Muller. (Rest assured, not a single one of these e-mails reached the actual decision-makers at 20th Century Fox Television. For future reference, please note that Scott Muller is in fact one of Futurama's biggest fans, and was instrumental in bringing about the return of the cast. Please hoist a bottle of Olde Fortran for Scott!)

Speaking of the cast returning... good news, everyone! The cast is returning! All of our series regulars are back in action for Season 6. Billy West, Katey Sagal, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr, and David Herman are all on board and have already begun delivering their customary virtuoso performances. The all-new Futurama episodes are slated to air on Comedy Central beginning in June, 2010.

We are extremely grateful for the outpouring of support for the series. Your loyalty over the years has kept the show going through its original four seasons on FOX, its subsequent reincarnations on Adult Swim and DVD, and now its Bendiferous return to life on Comedy Central. See you in the (near) future!

Sincerely,

David X. Cohen & Matt Groening

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  20:35:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So; it's no longer just the long films? It's back to the original format of an ongoing serie?

Good news, good news, indeed.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  02:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buying the DVDs is gonna bankrupt me yet.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.