Who sez the right is out of ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  14:53:41  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the really sad part of this is that I don't find it all that hard believe. It just seem so appalling typical.
Who Says The Right Is Out Of Ideas?

by digby

Maha found this gem at the Cato Institute:

I have discovered a proposal for “fixing” health care on the Cato Institute website that is an absolute hoot.

The plan (see PDF) is to eliminate employee health benefit insurance and all government health care support, and throw everyone into the private insurance market. Insurance companies would be allowed to risk-rate premiums, so that as people got older and/or sicker their premiums would go up.

However, Cato says, this doesn't have to be a problem. The solution is … wait for it … insurance insurance. They call it “health status insurance,” but essentially it's insurance insurance. It's a separate policy you take that will insure you against catastrophic increases in your health insurance.

I'm not kidding. That's the brilliant plan.
No wonder the economy's in the pissoir; this is the mindset we've had to put up with since that senile, old, fart-sack Reagan shot down federal regulations.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  15:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cato Institue's solution to the medical woes of the poor and/or elderly is simple: Die, you worthless deadbeats!

Roy Zimmerman sang it best.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  16:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, Cato says, this doesn't have to be a problem. The solution is … wait for it … insurance insurance. They call it “health status insurance,” but essentially it's insurance insurance. It's a separate policy you take that will insure you against catastrophic increases in your health insurance.

Hmmm. How long would it be before these were be risk-rated?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  17:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

And the really sad part of this is that I don't find it all that hard believe. It just seem so appalling typical.

by digby

Maha found this gem at the Cato Institute:

I have discovered a proposal for “fixing” health care on the Cato Institute website that is an absolute hoot.

The plan (see PDF) is to eliminate employee health benefit insurance and all government health care support, and throw everyone into the private insurance market. Insurance companies would be allowed to risk-rate premiums, so that as people got older and/or sicker their premiums would go up.

I'm not kidding. That's the brilliant plan.
No wonder the economy's in the pissoir; this is the mindset we've had to put up with since that senile, old, fart-sack Reagan shot down federal regulations.

That's like something that you would expect to find in The Onion. Apparently, the Cato Institute has taken to doing parodies of themselves.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  18:44:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So.....people are expected to pay more for health insurance to make sure they don't pay more for health insurance?

Super geniuses.

It's not that they've run out of ideas, it's that they've run out of *original* ideas.

After all, no less an authority than Dr. Ebeneezer Scrooge said, "If they are like to die, they had better do it...decrease the surplus population".
Edited by - podcat on 07/18/2009 18:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  23:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

...this is the mindset we've had to put up with since that senile, old, fart-sack Reagan shot down federal regulations...

Behind the plan the Cato Institute is actually negotiating a supply deal of uninsured deceased bodies with the Soylent Green Corporation.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  00:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
That's like something that you would expect to find in The Onion. Apparently, the Cato Institute has taken to doing parodies of themselves.

That's what I thought as well. It's stupid and will not actually bring about a better system than now. An entirely privatised system is going to be there with the goal of making a profit. However, I have this idea that a healthcare system should have as its primary goal to provide... healthcare. It's crazy, I know, but it's worth a shot.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Edited by - Maverick on 07/19/2009 00:28:35
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  07:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mom is on a fixed income. She had a liver transplant back in 2001 and will have to take anti-rejection meds for the rest of her life. She's also a diabetic and injects insulin once a day. My wife's nephew will be 10 in November and gets shots 4 times a day (5 if he runs around outside and plays) plus he's autistic. Her parents have custody of him and don't make a lot of money. If it wasn't for their health coverage, neither would be able to get the medicine they need. Nor could they afford private health insurance, let alone insurance insurance. When Mikey (wife's nephew) turns 17, he loses his medical card. He can get insurance because of his autism, but no one will touch him because of his diabetes.

I've always thought the health care system was screwy and needs some work, but, as stated above, privatizing the system would shoot the costs up at the expense of people like my mom and Mikey.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  16:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The Cato Institue's solution to the medical woes of the poor and/or elderly is simple: Die, you worthless deadbeats!

Roy Zimmerman sang it best.

And why wouldn't this be the tack of Cato Institutes.

After all, they did make it an unprosecutable crime with ERISA.

Thanks to Regan and Bush 41, for this bit of deregulation for HMO's through the court system.

And these guys call Obama a Commie.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.