A Baptist history of Harry Potter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  05:32:01  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever since J.K. Rowlings' first Harry Potter novel in the series hit the stands, fundamentalist fundaments have been puckered up so tightly that they can scarcely breath. The ensuing books and the staggering box office recipes for the movies haven't helped matters any, from their point of view anyway. So, what follows is an history written piecemeal at the moment of occurrence and then added to an ever-expanding article. I am assured that the time-lines are accurate.
Our ongoing battle against the forces of evil, manifest through J.K. Rowling and her homosexual hero, Harry Potter, are documented and updated on this page when the Lord Jesus calls us to do so.

The Make Believe World of Harry Potter Is Driving Children to the Edge of Insanity!

Progress Reports in Our Battle Against the Forces of Darkness (for full memo and action alert - scroll down!):

Emergency JESUS YOUTH Memo Regarding Release of Half-Blood Prince - July 2009:

It is my understanding that Ms. Rowling is under intense, Christian scrutiny in the hopes of catching her in the act of, well, something -- anything really.

Me, I'm looking forward to seeing the flick. Book VI is one of the best!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:20:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I used to get the same crap when I was growing up for reading Stephen R. Donaldson and Piers Anthony books. I tried to explain to the preacher and my Mom that the demons always lost and good always prevailed over evil but I might as well have talked to the wall.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  14:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the root problem is that religionists can't discriminate between reality and fantacy.
That they believe the fiction found in the Bible as reality is symptomatic. If the Bible is true, then there must be some truth in all those other books too.
I met a woman once who actually believed that "Murder on the Orient Express" was part of the chronicles of the actual, real, Belgian private detective named Hercule Poirot. However, she was a bit skeptical about aliens though... "can we really be sure they exist?" she said.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  14:47:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Harry ain't gay! He is banging his best friend's little sister for God sake! (which is really low of him by the way. What kind of values are we teaching our kids?).

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  13:18:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

What? Harry ain't gay! He is banging his best friend's little sister for God sake! (which is really low of him by the way. What kind of values are we teaching our kids?).

I don't know for sure about Harry but I hear that one little teletubby Tinky Winky is...

http://www.rightgrrl.com/carolyn/teletubbies.html
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  13:47:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Agita

Originally posted by Simon

I don't know for sure about Harry but I hear that one little teletubby Tinky Winky is...

http://www.rightgrrl.com/carolyn/teletubbies.html
Old news; Jerry Falwell, who is even now Satan's loving bride, beat you to it.
FALWELL ATTACKS TELETUBBIES!
Funny And Serious Implications

February 10, 1999

Today right-wing political activist (disguised as stage-named conservative Christian preacher) Jerry Falwell made the preposterous claim that a popular children's TV character is a homosexual.

Writing in the February 1999 issue of his grossly misnamed publication "National Liberty Journal", Falwell claimed that one of the Teletubbies, that quazy quartet of rotund, fuzzy, antenna-headed British oddballs with ecstatic and vapid faces that look like a cross between a small child and an extraterrestrial, is secretly promoting homosexual lifestyles to unsuspecting toddlers. He leveled this foul "accusation" at beloved Teletubby troupe member Tinky Winky.

Falwell's evidence? Tinky Winky, the Teletubby with the triangle-shaped antenna, is purple, has an antenna the same shape as the gay pride triangle, and speaks with a boy's voice yet carries a purse. These "subtle depictions" clinched it for the Right Reverend F..

"He is purple -- the gay-pride color," says Falwell in the article, "and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay-pride symbol."
However, Ms, Rowling has revealed that Albus Dumbledore was gay, and she should know.
There could hardly have been a bigger sensation if Russell Crowe, Rod Stewart or Sven-Goran Eriksson had come out of the closet. Millions of fans around the world were yesterday digesting the news that one of the main characters in the Harry Potter novels, Albus Dumbledore, is gay.
The revelation came from author JK Rowling during a question-and-answer session at New York's Carnegie Hall. It instantly hurtled around the internet and the world. News websites in China and Germany announced starkly: 'JK Rowling: "Dumbledore is gay".' One blogger wrote on a fansite: 'My head is spinning. Wow. One more reason to love gay men.'

After reading briefly from her mega-selling book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, on Friday night, Rowling took questions from an audience of 1,600 students. A 19-year-old from Colorado asked about the avuncular headmaster of Hogwarts School: 'Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?'

The author replied: 'My truthful answer to you...I always thought of Dumbledore as gay.' The audience reportedly fell silent - then erupted into prolonged applause.

Rowling, 42, continued: 'Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald [a bad wizard he defeated long ago], and that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent, but he met someone as brilliant as he was and, rather like Bellatrix, he was very drawn to this brilliant person and horribly, terribly let down by him.'

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/21/2009 17:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  17:23:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Jerry Deadwell materialized in this thread....here's a bit of old 'Top Five' archive. The subject is "Christian Coalition-Approved Nicknames for Breasts". Be sure to read the runner-up list on down the page. Some good chuckles there for sure.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.