Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  20:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okay, Rosenau finally allowed my comment to be posted. Sometime in the last 24 hours (or about four days after I'd written it).
Oh, and apparently you didn't lose you're place in line. It came out of moderation in the original order you posted it, ahead of Dude. Of course, what that means is if someone is simply checking the last comment every so often and assuming it's the most recent (as I often do with SciBlog posts), then they won't notice your new contribution to the topic up-thread. Even if they happen to notice the comment count go up, trying to determine which comment is the new one might prove confusing.

So, overall, I'd say Rosenau's profanity filter is a pretty shitty system, especially if he isn't going to check comments stuck in moderation in a timely manner on a thread in which he makes a curse word a central theme. That's the kind of thing Mooney used to pull.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/26/2009 20:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  20:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Oh, and apparently you didn't lose you're place in line. It came out of moderation in the original order you posted it, ahead of Dude. Of course, what that means is if someone is simply checking the last comment every so often and assuming it's the most recent (as I often do with SciBlog posts), then they won't notice your new contribution to the topic up-thread. Even if they happen to notice the comment count go up, trying to determine which comment is the new one might prove confusing.
Right, but that's a problem with any moderation system.
So, overall, I'd say Rosenau's profanity filter is a pretty shitty system, especially if he isn't going to check comments stuck in moderation in a timely manner on a thread in which he makes a curse word a central theme.
If I were to ask him, I'm sure he'd use Netroots Nation as his excuse, as he has for other stuff.
That's the kind of thing Mooney used to pull.
Yeah, but this is, perhaps, just a bad coincidence.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  18:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
David Colquhoun reviews the book for the British Medical Journal. He's of the impression that M&K favor "corporate communications," or public-relations people, to be dishing out palatable science out to the masses:
I don't think this would work. They would, by and large, be outsiders, writing uncritical paeans, dictated by big name scientists. A new cadre of PR hangers-on does not sound like a great idea.
And he's got nothing good to say about chapter 8:
When it comes to young earth creationists we have a war on our hands, and nowhere more than in the USA. What's more it's a winnable war. Mooney & Kirshenbaum are all for appeasement, but appeasement won't work. It might please the more moderate wings of the church, but they already believe in evolution and are regarded by fundamentalists as being just as big an enemy as Myers and Dawkins. And, one must ask, who has done best at getting a wide public readership? P.Z Myers' blog, Pharyngula, has up to two million page views a month. Dawkins' book The God Delusion has sold three million copies. In comparison the bland and often rather condescending corporate science web sites get tiny numbers of hits.
He makes a big point of religion being "all but dead" in Europe, and so M&K's book winds up being (apparently) irritatingly Ameri-centric.

(Along those same lines, I heard a couple of months ago that Tony Blair had to hide his religious bent when campaigning for office, because if you're seen as too religious in the UK, voters will reject you.)

H/T: PZ.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  20:11:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another review pointed to by PZ, this one from Yun Xie at Ars Technica. The conclusion reads, in part:
But before we spend more time and energy to seriously consider Mooney and Kirshenbaum's proposed solution, they have to provide us with evidence that their plan can work. In the brief 132 pages of their book, they make grand, sweeping comments without taking the time to explain and substantiate their assertions.

To begin, they assume that we all know how scientific illiteracy will threaten our future, and they barely touch upon the reasons why we should be worried. More importantly, the authors must tell us what will improve if we have a new class of scientists trained to interact with the media, Hollywood, politicians, and the general public. Will we see faster research progress, better science funding, more scholarships for our children, more informed political debates that involve science? The payoff is never made clear.

Unscientific America has admirable goals, but it lacks substance. If you're interested in the topic, check this one out of the library or look through it at a bookstore before purchasing.
If M&K quote any of it, I predict it would likely include Xie's take on chapter 8:
They [M&K] sensibly recommend that moderation of tone is important in such debates. The most polarizing kinds of argument can cause immediate emotional reactions that make it more difficult to have sincere conversations about the development of science.
No word from them on this review, yet. Not that they've mentioned every one.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.