Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Discovery channel has Ham's museum ads on it.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  07:52:30  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep...you've seen it here first.

Recently, one of our readers was watching Extreme Machines on the Science Channel with his son. The inevitable ads came on -- and he saw an advertisement for the Creation Museum, the anti-science young-earth creationist museum.

He couldn't believe his eyes. He had to rewind twice to make sure he wasn't seeing things. He also snapped a picture:

The picture can be seen at the link.

PZ Myers noted it as well:

It's annoying. Garbage is thriving: the Discovery Channel is running ads for the Creation "Museum", and our very own scienceblogs is intermittently running an ad for creationist literature. There are a couple of things to know about this. One is that the economy sucks, and the media, in particular are struggling. Science media especially are suffering, so everyone is scrambling to scrape up whatever revenues they can. The other thing to notice is that in a down economy, faith-based lies and wishful thinking are cheap to produce and continue to sell, so that's what's happening. There isn't much we can do other than to grab every penny we can from them.

He goes on to suggest just how to do that, at least in the instance of the ads on Scienceblogs. About the "Creation Museum" ads, I don't know...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 07/26/2009 08:37:22

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  09:24:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't oppose commercial science media allowing paid Creationist ads and commercials, even though they make me shudder. This is not the same as "promoting" these things, in my opinion. Most people have long ago learned to distinguish between sponsors and programming.

These advertisements are far preferable to woo, religion and pseudoscience programs being presented alongside science programming. Those are are outrageous, and we must loudly object to such, as they imply that woo is science.

Does anyone know: Has anyone placed skeptical roadside signs on the approaches of the Creation Museum?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  10:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen, the Discovery Channel leaves a little to be desired; but then, I'm something of a purist.

I agree with 'Mooner; let 'em. Really, it changes nothing and hands a little revenue to the DC, which, in spite of my misgivings, does have some excellent programing now & again.

I wonder; how likely is a regular DC watcher to go the Ham's Hootenanny?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  10:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that the ad was sold by some business school grad (or dropout) who studied as much science as he did ethics, little or none on either count, and approved, if there is any level of approval, by some soulless bean counter just happy to make the quarterly numbers look good. Sad, really, but that's what America Inc. has turned into.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.