The Apollo hoax talk went well.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  18:14:19  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how many of the audience may have come believing in the hoax crap, but I kept them entertained for about two hours. One person seems to have fallen for the unbelievable notion, which he got from who-the-hell-knows-where, that it would take an entire oil tanker full of fuel to get the Saturn V rocket to the Moon. We had to explain to him that only a small portion of the vehicle even left Earth orbit and an even smaller component returned from the Moon.

One of our executive members, who teaches physics at the university level, said that some of his students were discussing it and by his estimation about 10% of them are deniers. Astounding, and very worrisome.

There is obviously a lot more work ahead of us.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  06:14:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite ignorant about science and Physics. However, I always tell deniers about the moon landing and such, to imagine if in the wild space race, where two super-powers were competing, if the US would have faked anything, wouldn´t the top Soviet scientists, physics, etc. called the hoax and try to prove it was fake? Which if it was, it wouldn´t have been too difficult for top brains like that to expose.

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  09:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So upwards of 10% of university level physics students are complete morons.....simply amazing.

I really don't understand how this can happen in this day and age. Christ it only happened 40 years ago! If your going to question something question whether or not Jesus ever existed.

So just how dumb is the general public?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

lorddix

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  10:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lorddix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course the top Soviet scientists would not have called the hoax out, that would go against the orders of the Alien Lizard Overlords who are trying to guide us into a One World Government so they can harvest the natives like so much cattle.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  10:31:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is amazing the multiple layers of dumbness that hoax believers dwell in. One of the many inane arguments is that "we've never been back to the moon" in all these years, (overlooking the other missions after Apollo 11.)

Human history is full of initial achievements done once or several times at first and then not again for a long time. On January 23, 1960, Lt. Don Walsh, U.S. Navy and a scientist, Jacques Piccard from Switzerland descended in the Trieste, a bathyscaphe, to the very bottom of the Challenger Deep region in the Marianas Trench, which is the deepest spot on Earth. They set a record depth of 35,800 feet and no human being has ever gone back to that depth since. Yet there are no Deep Sea Hoax Believers – the reasons? Not as well-known as Apollo. Perhaps no 'big government' associations, or perhaps hoax believers are simply ignorant.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  12:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by lorddix

Of course the top Soviet scientists would not have called the hoax out, that would go against the orders of the Alien Lizard Overlords who are trying to guide us into a One World Government so they can harvest the natives like so much cattle.

Ah! But of course! How could I´ve been so blind!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  03:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you work at it, and not all that hard, really, you can find lots of people who will readly and firmly believe any sort of lame bullshit you'd care to lay on them. Thus it has always been; thus it shall remain until our species evolves a lot farther.

Until then, we can only laugh; it is too pathetic to cry over.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  19:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I worked with a gentleman who actually drafted some of the parts for the Apollo missions and was worried that we might not really have gone to the moon. Of course in the interest of national security he only knew the parts he was designing and not exactly how or where they fit in the overall design. So I can see where he might be worried not having seen the overall design in his time. Fortunately it wasn't that difficult to to convince him that the hoax was really the hoax and not the moon landings thanks to Bad Astronomy.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.