Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:34:25  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180116.stm

I don't know how they can charge a man for something that was part of God's plan. This is the kind of thing you might expect in Sweden or something, not Wisconsin USA.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Behold the power of faith.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I don't know how they can charge a man for something that was part of God's plan. This is the kind of thing you might expect in Sweden or something, not Wisconsin USA.
Yeah, I read about that this morning.
During the trial, medical experts told the court that Neumann's daughter could have survived if she had received treatment, including insulin and fluids, before she stopped breathing.
But I ask; is it not more likely that "God's Plan" would be to avail her of modern medicines and thus save her to pray in some church or other? These folks should be glad there's no such thing as Hell.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if God had intended that he would've conveyed this to the father

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:02:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gawddamn secular laws.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think if God had intended that he would've conveyed this to the father
If that were true, then God becomes a vicious and capricious tyrant, delighting in the deaths of innocent children, no?

Oddly enough, or perhaps not, we seem to read about a couple of "faith healing" cases needlessly resulting in the deaths of children every year.

I think that hearing disembodied voices advising anything is never a good sign.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:32:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I can't believe that you're expressing shock that the guy was charged for KILLING HIS DAUGHTER! THAT is one of the main reasons why humanity does NOT NEED that superstitious crap of a mindset.

I used to have a little bit of respect for you since you were well-mannered and polite...but no more.

F**k that!

DAMN STRAIGHT that guy should be charged! Second-degree reckless homicide. All she needed was insulin shots and she'd be alive. Nope. He listened to his unjustified superstitious belief and as a result, a person died in the real world.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:56:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If everything is a part of God's plan, than charging him must be a part of the plan too, eh? Or is it that some things are not a part of the plan?

And if you think that some things are not a part of God's plan, how do you know what is or isn't a part of the plan?

Right about here, you either have to claim that you know the mind of God, or choose to be humble instead.

I don't have to deal with those kinds of conflicts. But you do.

Edited to add: Well darn. Even as confused as I was when I wrote the above, the basics of what I wrote still stand...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am praying for him and his family.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How precisely would you know what god's plan is?

Don't you find the parents' behaviour rather hypocritical? They did phone an ambulance in the end - albeit a tad too late.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's a good thing you're being ironic. Or is it sarcasm?

Anyway...
Sweden doesn't have a death-penalty for a crime such as this (or any kind of crime), but if we had, I sure would have considered flicking the switch if asked to help carry out the sentence.

On the other hand, the girl would probably not have died in Sweden. We don't have home-schooling and teachers would most probably have picked up on her not being well and got her to the hospital (that's our law). They do so regardless of religious faith, it's a humanitarian thing to help people get treatment.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored
I used to have a little bit of respect for you since you were well-mannered and polite...but no more.

Hey, the_ignored... Chill out, he's just pulling our legs.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/02/2009 13:27:12
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  13:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Keerist...now you tell me. I've a few posts to make elsewhere then!

eh heh heh

EDIT: Done.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 08/02/2009 13:41:27
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  14:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My wife and I were church going people when our daughter got sick. We rushed her to the hospital so the doctors could help her, THEN we prayed to god to help the doctors heal her. They worked for two weeks to shrink the tumor (cancer) and averted a couple of close calls, with god's help (or so we then believed). At the end of those two weeks, the tumor won and she died. In my opinion, this god that so many people believe in sure has some shitty plans. Any god whose plans include letting innocent children die to test the faith of his followers and prove how great he is, is not worthy of praise or worship, and any parent who forsakes medical treatment for their child in favor of letting this god take care of it, should be locked up a lot longer then 25 years.

Sorry for the rant but, for obvious reasons, this really pisses me off. Using their faith in god to justify the death of their child.... unbe-f*cking-lievable!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:19:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What an immoral thing to say! Of course, that's an example of how religion poisons morals.

I only wish the rotten, failed parent been given a more severe sentence.

[Edit: If your comment was meant ironically, On fire for Christ, I take back my snarky comment.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/02/2009 19:18:04
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by the_ignored

Hey, the_ignored... Chill out, he's just pulling our legs.

Is he?

Well, I'll refrain from commenting till I know more.

As for the convicted murderer in the OP article... he and his wife are getting off easy as far as I'm concerned. This should considered be an act of terrorism, torture, and premeditated murder. Fuck that guy, he needs to be imprisoned for life.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.