Shallow end of the gene pool redux
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:16:43  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate tthis species of animal lover!

OURAY, Colo. -- An autopsy showed a 74-year-old Ouray County woman whose body was found being eaten by a bear was attacked and killed by that same bear after she attempted to help a smaller bear that had been hurt in a fight.

The son-in-law of Donna Munson told 7NEWS that Munson was trying to help a smaller bear that had gotten into a fight with an older bear on Aug 7. The smaller bear suffered broken teeth in the brawl, Munson told her family.

Munson told her brother by telephone that she was putting out hard-boiled eggs and milk for the younger bear to eat, said the victim's son-in-law, Bruce Milnes aid.

And what did this lamewit accomplish?

Later that day, a witness found a large bear feeding on Munson's body as it lay outside her home.

When deputies arrived to investigate the report of a mauling on Friday, they were approached by a 250-pound bear, which was actively sniffing the body. A deputy with the Ouray Sheriff's Office fired six rounds and killed the bear. A necropsy on that bear showed that it neither attacked nor fed on Munson.

On Saturday about 3 a.m., a second bear was acting aggressively towards investigators who were still at the house. A DOW investigator shot and killed that bear -- a 400-pound male bear.

A necropsy on that second bear revealed human tissue as well as remnants of a shirt that Munson was wearing, according to the Ouray Sherrif's Office.

Officials said the DOW had known for years that Munson routinely fed bears and would not stop, even after repeated requests from the DOW.

She accomplished getting herself killed as well as two bears. Idiot!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of that guy who loved and wrote about grizzly bears and got himself killed in Alaska, along with his girlfriend, because he had this idea that the bears were okay enough with him that he could camp near them... I don't have time to look up the case history now.

No shortage of people worthy of Darwin Awards.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  14:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stephen Colbert would never have done such a thing.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  17:05:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Reminds me of that guy who loved and wrote about grizzly bears and got himself killed in Alaska, along with his girlfriend, because he had this idea that the bears were okay enough with him that he could camp near them... I don't have time to look up the case history now.
Timothy Treadwell, whose story was featured in the documentary (mockumentary?) Grizzly Man.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  08:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like seeing bears just as much as the next guy, but as any bear-aware folder will tell you (and most zoos will, albeit for a different reason): DON'T FEED THE BEARS.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by Kil

Timothy Treadwell, whose story was featured in the documentary (mockumentary?) Grizzly Man.

Treadwell was a criminally insane fool who got the natural selection that he had coming to him. I'm provisionally sorry about his girlfriend, though. Maybe she didn't have it coming.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  11:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in Shallow End One, you do not fuck with bears. They are extraordinarily dangerous animals, and I know from extraordinarily dangerous. The lovely bear, and they are certainly lovely, that you think is so cute, might take you apart for trying to get friendly.

It is said that they are unpredictable but this is not entirely true. If the animal is feeding or on either gender side of in heat, or might feel that it's territory is threatened, or, hell, might be just having a bad hair day today, it could well attack. That's any bear.

I like bears. They are clowns with dignity; beasts with beauty. I plan a trip to the Smokey's this fall, arthritis, cash and pickup truck willing, and hope to see one or two as well as Timber Rattlers. But, call me stingy if you will, there is no way I will get close enough to share my lunch with any.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  10:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is absolutely no animal that scares me more than a grizzly.

You can not outrun it and you can not out climb it. If it wants you, it has you (unless your armed to the teeth....most handguns need not apply).

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  11:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing short of a hot-loaded .44 Maggie, is even worthy of consideration. Alas, it seems unlikely that I'll ever get to a place where I'd feel called upon to be packing such a hand-cannon. Would that it could be.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Saga

13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  09:53:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Saga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What amazes me is that people that OBVIOUSLY live in bear country are doing something so infantile and stupid.

Bears are personally my favorite animal. But I'm also very aware they have enough strength to part my head from my body in one half-attempted swoop.

Nice going lady.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Saga

What amazes me is that people that OBVIOUSLY live in bear country are doing something so infantile and stupid.

Bears are personally my favorite animal. But I'm also very aware they have enough strength to part my head from my body in one half-attempted swoop.

Nice going lady.
Bears can be delightful and entertaining, especally a sow with a cub or two in tow. But they are best observed from a respectful distance.

Welcome to SFN Saga!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  14:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why I like viewing my bears through a long lens rather than up close and personal. Did go bear hunting with a bow once. Um, closer to them than I like. Also didn't shoot any not enough poundage on my bow to do much more than piss them off.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.