Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  01:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doomar.....

I haven't yet heard from you what exactly you mean by the word "liberal" in your proposed name change for the SFN forums.

You said.....
The idea of being skeptical about people or powers that be in general is really not part of this forum or the majority of skeptics that peruse it.
What does that statement have to do with your meaning of the word "liberal"?

I see no logical continuity here. Please explain?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  02:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Doomar

I now see the fallacy of my thinking...skepticism is not really what this forum is about. It is more of a place for people to simply lash out and express themselves about whatever. Condescension and smart retorts with sarcasm are the norm and seemingly expected. Civility is low on the totem pole and definitely not a requirement, though some practice it. Unbelief in God is the norm, and the M.O. of behavior is rejection of all who dare to express such belief. Attacking the person rather than discussing the argument is most common. So this is more of a social club of unbelievers with a smattering of those who believe otherwise outside of a small clique of insiders: your basic club for the elitist liberal thinker who thinks a bit too highly of him or herself. Skepticism with independent, critical thinking, focusing on ideas rather than people, would be a large step above this forum and perhaps too great of goal to propose, though it should be considered a worthy ideal.

My original suggestion for a name change stands, but I am open to suggestions for the name that more clearly represents this club.

That reminds me; someone tell the Grand Skeptickal Draggin' that I'm a little short on my dues this month, but I'll make it up in September. Oh, and I need a new tinfoil hat; the point got busted off'n mine at the big conservative crucifixion last Tuesday. That was a good time, wasn't it? Isn't it just great to see them on the cross?

Ok Doomar, let's get down to where the rat dropped the raisin in the the butter dish; have you suddenly popped up after a long hiatus for no better reason than to toss insults and bitch about liberals, or what?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  03:18:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's something I just stumbled across; A day in the life of Joe, middle class Republican
Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.
And so forth. I hope you're paying attention to this, Doomar, because every word of it is true. Liberals got you a lot, probably most, of what you have today, and conservatives strive constantly to take it away.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  03:52:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if we do change the name of the site, I've got the beginnings of the new site graphics:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  04:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Those who call themselves skeptics tend to be skeptics only about those who generally oppose their viewpoints. The idea of being skeptical about people or powers that be in general is really not part of this forum or the majority of skeptics that peruse it. Therefore, I would suggest that this forum be renamed. Liberal Skeptic Friends Network.

"Reality has a known liberal bias" - Stephen Colbert

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  05:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I now see the fallacy of my thinking...skepticism is not really what this forum is about.
In your obviously not-so-humble opinion. I disagree.

Condescension and smart retorts with sarcasm are the norm and seemingly expected.
They are the norm when people like you posts opinions that are worthy of condescension etc. Write something interesting, noteworthy, intelligent, and thought-through, and we will respond differently.

Unbelief in God is the norm, and the M.O. of behavior is rejection of all who dare to express such belief.
Can you for the sake of argument substantiate the second part of that paragraph with a few links to examples of this behaviour, as evidence?
Unsubstantiated assertions are subject to skepticism.

Attacking the person rather than discussing the argument is most common.
Really?

Of course, is does happen from time to time, when the person being attacked is presenting an argument that has been proved bunk so many times that refuting it all over again is a waste of time and energy. Instead of re-inventing the wheel for the nth time, SFN spend energy being more creative, for example, making fun of Ken Ham, Bill Dumbski, Jack Chick, etc.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  09:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Well, if we do change the name of the site, I've got the beginnings of the new site graphics:

That's pretty cool.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  10:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a reason most skeptics tend to be more liberal. It matches a little closer with reality & reason.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Doomar
SFN Regular

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  20:11:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Doomar's Homepage Send Doomar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a man known to be a skeptic among the disciples of Jesus. His name was Thomas. He doubted that the Lord was risen from the dead and wanted proof. Nevertheless, he loved the Lord Jesus and was greatly distressed over his death on the cross.
"One of the disciples, Thomas, "The Twin," was not there at the time with the others. 25 When they kept telling him, "We have seen the Lord," he replied, "I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands—and put my fingers into them—and place my hand into his side."
26 Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them and greeting them.
27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger into my hands. Put your hand into my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!"
28 "My Lord and my God!" Thomas said.
29 Then Jesus told him, "You believe because you have seen me. But blessed are those who haven’t seen me and believe anyway."
John 20:24-29 (TLB)

This "skeptic" went on to serve the Lord Jesus on this earth till the day he was martyred. When the Lord comes back, he will reign with Christ, judging one of the tribes of Israel.

Mark 10:27 (NKJV) 27But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”

www.pastorsb.com.htm
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  20:26:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There was a man known to be a skeptic among the disciples of Jesus. His name was Thomas. He doubted that the Lord was risen from the dead and wanted proof. Nevertheless, he loved the Lord Jesus and was greatly distressed over his death on the cross.
"One of the disciples, Thomas, "The Twin," was not there at the time with the others. 25 When they kept telling him, "We have seen the Lord," he replied, "I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands—and put my fingers into them—and place my hand into his side."
26 Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them and greeting them.
27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger into my hands. Put your hand into my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!"
28 "My Lord and my God!" Thomas said.
29 Then Jesus told him, "You believe because you have seen me. But blessed are those who haven’t seen me and believe anyway."
John 20:24-29 (TLB)

This "skeptic" went on to serve the Lord Jesus on this earth till the day he was martyred. When the Lord comes back, he will reign with Christ, judging one of the tribes of Israel.
Nice seeing you too, Doomar.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  02:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From being a bitter enemy of X-Men, Magneto actually temporarily became the leader of the School for Gifted Children and X-Men.
Many fictional stories have people in them redeeming themselves in the eyes of the reader. The authors made the stories that way, so what's your point Doomar?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/07/2011 02:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  16:03:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

You are a theist parasite, Doormar. The world and this forum both have to many Charltans puking forth Bible quotes, just like you.

To Bad that your parents also didn't practice the Bible that you pathetically quote and obviously failed to practice too!

Psalm 137:9 (KJV) “Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.” SS
Hey SS. Can you cool it on the personal attacks please?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  19:16:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, ouch. That was a little too far. If Doomar was saying stuff like this guy then yeah, I'd see that.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  06:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK.SS

Edit: I removed it

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 08/08/2011 09:32:31
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  15:40:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read this thread and my impression from the first post was "troll alert". And then came the Bible quotes and talk of a christ that seriously tarnished any credibility of Doomar being at all interested in skepticism. A cursory skeptical look Christianity shows that its foundation is based on a Neolithic Age campfire story, Genesis, complete with contradictory creation stories, a talking snake, a magical fruit tree of knowledge (clearly a metaphor and not a real deciduous tree), and an immature psyco god.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.