Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  17:13:59  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine directed me to this book. It isn't published yet (October 19th release date), but it looks as if it coould be an interesting read.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  19:45:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this, Dude. Atheism isn't a religion and so people who end up accepting that there are no supernatural forces in the universe not only come from all walks of life but also end up all over the political/moral spectrum. So while it's hard (at least for me) to identify with a current atheist figure (e.g. I couldn't care less what Richard Dawkins or whomever thinks about how I should live my life), it is always interesting to hear how others came to arrive at the same place I have...
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we have plenty of room over here in the anuminist section and it only requires one belief: That Barry Sanders is the greatest running back ever, amen.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  08:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are we atheists? For a lack of anything better to believe -- simple as that.

Could indeed be a pretty good read.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  09:13:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Well we have plenty of room over here in the anuminist section and it only requires one belief: That Barry Sanders is the greatest running back ever, amen.

Didn't Barry Sanders play for that team in powderpuff blue that never wins? Seems that referring to anything related to that team as being anything even approaching mediocre has to be an act of some kind of irrational faith...

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've made an enemy for life!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

Didn't Barry Sanders play for that team in powderpuff blue that never wins? Seems that referring to anything related to that team as being anything even approaching mediocre has to be an act of some kind of irrational faith...

Hey watch it now.....them's fightin words! (Lions Fan for life.....how sad for me).

And yes Barry was the greatest EVER....even if his team did stink. In fact it only highlights how good he really was.

Why are we Atheists? Because it's the default position and I have yet to come across a logical reason to change.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 09/10/2009 11:45:56
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are we Atheists? Because it's the default position and I have yet to come across a logical reason to change.
Ah yes, Filthy, but you will as soon as you "pass" and "go" to your "reward"!

"Pass"? Pass what? Gas?, a truck?, a poker bid? Shit, dying has got to be complicated!

"Go"? There's travel involved? Where? What locomotion?

"Reward"? Is this just a big game of some sort? Con game?

What the fuck?
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are really as many different reasons for being atheists as there are atheists to have reasons. This is evidenced by the degrees of outspokenness of different atheists. Some will try to restrict the reasons to a very few in order to try to paint them as isolated examples of deviance, but I am personally delighted to see so many different people from so many different backgrounds "coming out" as atheists. So many life experiences leading to the rejection of the single horrific God delusion.

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:08:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a moment I forgot what it was like to be a Pats fan when they wore the horrific butt-pirate logo, and lost to your average schoolyard of kindergarten children.

Sanders was very, very good.

My humblest and profoundest apologies.

If it makes you feel any better I am a life-long Habs fan and they've been stinking pretty high for 20 years now.

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:13:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We WalterPaytonists beg to differ. Hail Sweetness!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  20:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Sweetness was sweet....and my all time 2nd favorite back.

Are we officially O.T. now? Must be football season

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  19:27:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin

Originally posted by R.Wreck

Sweetness was sweet....and my all time 2nd favorite back.

Are we officially O.T. now? Must be football season

Definitely way O.T., but what the hell.

If you ever find yourself in the Chicago area, specifically southwest of the city, check out Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora. Pretty good food, good beer, and a nice little museum. Just be careful if you order a shot and a beer.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  08:50:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are we atheists? Lack of evidence!

A friend of my father once told me when I was very young "If I said to you the world was created and controlled by an invisible, all powerful superbeing who knows everything and listens in to everyone's thoughts, so give me money, you'd laugh at me, but the church does that every Sunday." It had quite an effect on me.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  16:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bob Lloyd

A friend of my father once told me when I was very young "If I said to you the world was created and controlled by an invisible, all powerful superbeing who knows everything and listens in to everyone's thoughts, so give me money, you'd laugh at me, but the church does that every Sunday." It had quite an effect on me.
I always wonder how (if at all) it would have effected my life if I'd been raised atheist, versus growing up in a Church and only gradually coming to my atheist stance in my early 20's. Perhaps it would have changed nothing. But I'm certainly curious.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  00:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bob Lloyd

Great one-liner summary-cum-eyeopener about organized religion, Bob Lloyd - did you ever get a chance to thank that guy?

I've ordered the book mentioned in the OP - it looks good. (Plus I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.