New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finaly am (again) registered here at SFN.

Hello Kil and all!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:07:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you, Robert! I hear Kil met you at TAM. Good you're back here. One "strokie" to another, there were times we were very worried.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/01/2009 20:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi RSL. Welcome back to the SFN!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  01:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi RSL and welcome!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  04:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:06:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by RSLancastr

Well, I finaly am (again) registered here at SFN.

Hello Kil and all!

Welcome (back). Glad to have you on board!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back...when did you first register? I forget.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  15:29:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Robert guested at one of our chats. That was probably when he registered. I don't think he posted on the forum before now. I may be wrong about that.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:50:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Great to hear from you, Robert! I hear Kil met you at TAM. Good you're back here. One "strokie" to another, there were times we were very worried.
Thanks, HM! how long ago was your stroke? Any lasting effects?
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Probably around the time I guested in Chat, but I am not sure of that.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:23:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mine was almost 5 years ago. I was never unconscious, but suffered, at first, a nearly complete paralysis of the left side. I also had little feeling on my left side, and a loss of the sense of where those limbs were.

My speech was slurred, I was scared and confused, my attention span was shot, I had overconfidence in my own abilities. My ability to use nouns, especially names, was poor at first. I drooled from the left side of my mouth. I would babble on without much direction. Initially, I could not read. Individual words on a page were legible, but they all seemed to swim around independently on the page. Most of these symptoms reduced considerably within days, but the paralysis and memory problems took longer.

Inside of me the whole time was a rational core that was consciously and unconsciously trying to desperately patch together some repairs, and alternative ways of doing things.

Now I walk with a limp and usually with a cane. (When you start walking again, get yourself the snazziest cane you can afford, says I!) I can ride my motorscooter well enough to pass the tough Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I can touch type with both hands about at the same lousy level as pre-stroke. But all the other symptoms are still there, just vastly reduced. Both left limbs remain considerably less precise, and slower to respond, than those on my right. I will probably never be able to run again.

By being extremely active here at SFN, I actually believe my intellectual capability is better than before the stroke. One thing that really helped both my dexterity and morale was playing City of Heroes, a role-playing game that allowed me to fly like Superman at a time I was having difficulty just walking.

My memory of a few weeks or months ago is vaguer than it was pre-stroke.

Another couple of odd, lingering symptoms: I cry at any sad part of movies, news, operas, or books. Somehow, I'm more sentimental than before the stroke. Also, when startled, the limbs on my whole left side retract, rather awkward when standing or walking.

All in all, my lasting stroke symptoms are of far less concern to me than my growing poverty, which is unrelated. I'm amazed at how much the brain adapts and recovers. Some of this recovery is slow that one almost doesn't notice it, but, over time, it's huge.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/03/2009 12:01:57
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  09:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mine was almost 5 years ago. I was never unconscious, but suffered, at first, a nearly complete paralysis of the left side. I also had little feeling on my left side, and a loss of the sense of where those limbs were.

My speech was slurred, I was scared and confused, my attention span was shot, I had overconfidence in my own abilities. My ability to use nouns, especially names, was poor at first. I drooled from the left side of my mouth. I would babble on without much direction. Initially, I could not read. Individual words on a page were legible, but they all seemed to swim around independently on the page. Most of these symptoms reduced considerably within days, but the paralysis and memory problems took longer.

Inside of me the whole time was a rational core that was consciously and unconsciously trying to desperately patch together some repairs, and alternative ways of doing things.

Now I walk with a limp and usually with a cane. (When you start walking again, get yourself the snazziest cane you can afford, says I!) I can ride my motorscooter well enough to pass the tough Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I can touch type with both hands about at the same lousy level as pre-stroke. But all the other symptoms are still there, just vastly reduced. Both left limbs remain considerably less precise, and slower to respond, than those on my right. I will probably never be able to run again.

By being extremely active here at SFN, I actually believe my intellectual capability is better than before the stroke. One thing that really helped both my dexterity and morale was playing City of Heroes, a role-playing game that allowed me to fly like Superman at a time I was having difficulty just walking.

My memory of a few weeks or months ago is vaguer than it was pre-stroke.

Another couple of odd, lingering symptoms: I cry at any sad part of movies, news, operas, or books. Somehow, I'm more sentimental than before the stroke. Also, when startled, the limbs on my whole left side retract, rather awkward when standing or walking.

All in all, my lasting stroke symptoms are of far less concern to me than my growing poverty, which is unrelated. I'm amazed at how much the brain adapts and recovers. Some of this recovery is slow that one almost doesn't notice it, but, over time, it's huge.

Much of what you describe is very familiar to me. the highly emotional thing (crying more than you usd to) especially. I recently started a thread about it at JREF. I was told by a therapist that it is "emotional lability," and is fairly common among stroke victims and others who have suffered brain damage.
Go to Top of Page

RSLancastr

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  09:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RSLancastr's Homepage Send RSLancastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HalMooner, another therapist told me that I had recovred my cognitive abilities more rapidly and more thoroghly than any other stroke patient she had dealt with in more than 20 years as a therapist. She postulated that it might have been related to my being a critical thinker. I told her "I doubt it."
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  10:45:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well-met again, Robert. Glad to hear from you.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  12:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... She postulated that it might have been related to my being a critical thinker. I told her "I doubt it."

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  14:09:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Much of what you describe is very familiar to me. the highly emotional thing (crying more than you usd to) especially. I recently started a thread about it at JREF. I was told by a therapist that it is "emotional lability," and is fairly common among stroke victims and others who have suffered brain damage.
I looked that up in Wikipedia. Seems we have a rather mild version of that. It comes in much more spectacular versions than simply crying at movies.

HalMooner, another therapist told me that I had recovred my cognitive abilities more rapidly and more thoroghly than any other stroke patient she had dealt with in more than 20 years as a therapist. She postulated that it might have been related to my being a critical thinker. I told her "I doubt it."
But you know something? I think your therapist was onto something. But I think it's not being a skeptic so much as deliberately and habitually doing skeptical thinking that aids in cognitive recovery. The mental part of the old, "Use it or lose it" thing, just like being as physically active as possible aids in physical recovery.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.