Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  07:33:20  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am OK with his speech to schoolchildren if it's about encouraging kids to participate in education, voting and debate etc. Generally about being good citizens. I hope they will put a transcript out of his speech ahead of time. But I am worried about this:

Wow

I am also wondering why he couln't do this in the evening when parents can watch with the kids. We will see what he says.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  08:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, whaddahell. No matter how bad it might turn out to ne, it's still a cut above a reading of My Pet Goat. I think he's doing it this way because he's more likely to catch the kids; a captive audience, as it were. After all, there's no guarentee Mom & Dad will tune in to him in the evening.

I'm sure a transcript will be available, but probably after the speech. We'll see....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:24:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMFG, it's going to be horrible!
The President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens.
How dare he?! Doesn't he know that encouraging excellence in education is unconstitutional?

Seriously, people like Michelle Malkin (the source of Robb's video) are going insane over this, with screeching like, "the President is going to indoctrinate your kids!" Into what? Thinking that education is a responsibility for all of us? What's wrong with that?

Really, what they fear is that the the President will turn the kids into little Obamabots. But if the ads on TV haven't screwed their brains up already, this won't, either.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:32:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

I am also wondering why he couln't do this in the evening when parents can watch with the kids.
And why can't history teachers discuss the Civil War in the evening when parents can watch with the kids?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:37:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb, to what are you referring to when you say Barack's speech? The video you linked to was of a teacher and didn't have Barack Obama in it.

I don't think there is anything that Barack Obama can do about teachers who decide to cross the line of what is appropriate for their job. I had to work with a teacher similar to this woman (except she worked with high school students) who thought it was okay to wear a Barack Obama support pin while on the job and openly support his candidacy during class time. My dad is a journalist and because of his position, even though he might have strong personal political opinions on this or that, he would never ever supoprt partisan politics with, say, bumper stickers, because he saw that as an ethical conflict with his job. My car has donned many bumper stickers over the years, but because I teach I have never though it appropriate to support a particular party or candidate, and I would never set foot in a classroom with a pin supporting any candidate, even though I did support Obama and did own one of those pins. Teachers do need to know when they are crossing a line, and that teacher did cross it when she started making arguments against McCain and for Obama instead of simpily facilitating discussion about the election candidates and issues among the students.

Sadly, there will always be teachers who do this kind of crossing the line stuff. My 6th grade teacher hung up a picture of Sadam Hussein with a target over his face in his classroom and made pro-Iraq war (this was the first Iraq War, mind you) statements in a highly cavalier manner on a daily basis. He laughed and joked about "us" kicking "their" butt, and never even mentioned, much less acted respectfully toward the people who always inevitably die in any war. Ah, my Catholic school education.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the comment about the weekly speeches like Hitler, like every president doesnt give weekly speeches, Bush for example.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:41:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a link in Robb's original post get deleted or something? I feel like I'm completely missing some important connections from this conversation.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I just Googled "Obama, speech, students" and read about it in the news. I'm not sure why the idea of the President making an address to children would be so controversial. One speech that they watch on a screen isn't going to undermine anybody's parenting. If Bush had wanted to give a speech to children which would be broadcasted during the school day all over the nation and I had kids in schools, I wouldn't have worried about it. Hell, I would have seen it as an opportunity to talk to kids about politics. If public servants address children, maybe by the time these kids are voting age they'll actually have some inkling of what's going on in the world and an interest in voting, attending town meetings, writing letters, and otherwise involving themselves in our democracy.

In my Google search I saw a bunch of Hitler references, questions over whether Obama is a "fascist" and calling him "Our Beloved Dear Leader" (a reference to North Korea's Dictator Kim Jung Il.) What the hell? Obama hasn't even given his speech yet and people are already getting this insane? We live in nation where people have the freedom to shout this crap publically at town meetings, plaster it all over the Internet, and yet they think we're a step away from a Dictatorship? Do they even know what real fascism is like? I'd laugh at these people if there weren't so many of them and if we didn't have real problems to deal with and need as many people as possible to seriously, intelligently deal with those problems instead of imagined ones.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am OK with his speech to schoolchildren if it's about encouraging kids to participate in education, voting and debate etc. Generally about being good citizens. I hope they will put a transcript out of his speech ahead of time. But I am worried about this:

Wow

I am also wondering why he couln't do this in the evening when parents can watch with the kids. We will see what he says.
Two issues:

You're right, that teacher has no business browbeating a student in a partisan manner.

President Obama should try to reach out to all citizens. Talking to kids is tricky. Hope he has the knack.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  11:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is too tricky talking to kids. Lots of people don't give kids enough credit. Although, people seem to think kids learn more from being told things by adults rather than from observing and imitating adults.

The trick to talking to kids about politics and other matters which include lots of potential for controversy and subjective perspectives is to simply give them facts appropriate to their level of understanding, and when it comes to things which are matters of opinion, ask them questions without having expectations of what their answers "should" be. Easier said than done, but perfectly possible when teaching thinking is more important than teaching mindless obedience to a particular canon. When children say things which are false fact, gently correct them and present evidence. When children express opinions, resist acting in a manner which makes them feel rewarded or punished for simply agreeing or disagreeing with you.

I think it's really sad that so many parents will probably keep their kid from even watching the address. Children should be engaged by current leaders and events.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  11:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb. You really need to pause for a moment and take a deep breath.

Don't let the crazy, fear-mongering wingnuts make you paranoid, too. Barack Obama is President of the United States by virtue of having been overwhelmingly, democratically elected to the post less than a year ago. Barack Obama was not foisted upon the American people by a putsch. Also, he's not Michael Jackson, so the kids are safe that sense, too.

There is no need to think that his little pep talk to school kids is going to do them any damage. Watch it and see for yourself.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:14:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Did a link in Robb's original post get deleted or something? I feel like I'm completely missing some important connections from this conversation.
The link in Robb's post has within it another link to the Michelle Malkin piece that I linked to.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:23:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I want is a transcipt of the speech beforehand. Is that too much to ask? I said that I have no problem with him giving a citizen type speech, I would just like to be sure that's what it is.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:25:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

OMFG, it's going to be horrible!
The President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens.
How dare he?! Doesn't he know that encouraging excellence in education is unconstitutional?
you didn't read my post. I said in my post that if this is what he talks about I am ok with it. Don't try to lay this crap on me.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Wow

Two issues:

You're right, that teacher has no business browbeating a student in a partisan manner.

President Obama should try to reach out to all citizens. Talking to kids is tricky. Hope he has the knack.

I agree!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Robb. You really need to pause for a moment and take a deep breath.

Don't let the crazy, fear-mongering wingnuts make you paranoid, too. Barack Obama is President of the United States by virtue of having been overwhelmingly, democratically elected to the post less than a year ago. Barack Obama was not foisted upon the American people by a putsch. Also, he's not Michael Jackson, so the kids are safe that sense, too.

There is no need to think that his little pep talk to school kids is going to do them any damage. Watch it and see for yourself.

I am not freaking out. All I want is a transcript beforehand. I know everything my school teaches my children, why should this be different?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.