Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am jealous of filthy's writing ability. For the record.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

typical left wing crap. Call people names because they disagree with your side.
Typical right-wing crap: claim that people are being called names only because they disagree, and not because they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by comparing Obama to Hitler and refusing to raise the level of debate above such childish fear-mongering.

Robb, did you read the "partial transcript" that Michelle Malkin offered for the video you linked to? Malkin is making fun of the teacher's accent by writing "axe" instead of "ask" and leaving lots of Gs off -ing words. She's not engaging with what the teacher is saying by doing that, she's ridiculing how the woman talks. If you want to claim the moral high ground, Robb, you're going to have to get people like Malkin to behave with courtesy instead of derision.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To make this modern, substitute "race mixing" with "gay marriage" or "health care reform".

Re-sized image - Ricky

by Filthy
Edited by - Ricky on 09/03/2009 09:09:57
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

typical left wing crap. Call people names because they disagree with your side.
Typical right-wing crap: claim that people are being called names only because they disagree, and not because they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by comparing Obama to Hitler and refusing to raise the level of debate above such childish fear-mongering.

Robb, did you read the "partial transcript" that Michelle Malkin offered for the video you linked to? Malkin is making fun of the teacher's accent by writing "axe" instead of "ask" and leaving lots of Gs off -ing words. She's not engaging with what the teacher is saying by doing that, she's ridiculing how the woman talks. If you want to claim the moral high ground, Robb, you're going to have to get people like Malkin to behave with courtesy instead of derision.
Both sides do it, I am not claiming any moral ground. But we can choose not to engage in it. Right?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:12:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Both sides do it, I am not claiming any moral ground.
Good thing, because you definitely lost it when you claimed that people were name-calling because they disagree with Malkin. You've been caught doing the same thing before, had it explained to you why it's wrong, and you either haven't learned or have chosen to continue to perpetrate the lie.
But we can choose not to engage in it. Right?
But you already have, with your "typical left wing crap" remark. Which, now that you've said "both sides do it," should be edited to say, "typical everyone crap" (even though that still wouldn't make it true), right? Face it, Robb: you knee-jerked your way into hypocrisy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, both sides do it...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and then you have the people who do it to themselves...

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 09/03/2009 08:21:11
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Yes, both sides do it...
I'd like to see some clips of left-wingers asking their Jewish Congresspeople why they support Bush's Nazi policies during a town-hall-type meeting. It's one thing to march in the streets with an Obama/Hitler sign, it's quite another to take up time with such stuff in a supposedly serious venue. I never had any patience with the protesters (left or right) who take their street activities into Q&A sessions, instead of leaving them at the door and acting like reasonable adults inside. The right wing has really gone way beyond that with the purposeful disruption of meetings, though.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:26:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, both sides do it...
I'd like to see some clips of left-wingers asking their Jewish Congresspeople why they support Bush's Nazi policies during a town-hall-type meeting. It's one thing to march in the streets with an Obama/Hitler sign, it's quite another to take up time with such stuff in a supposedly serious venue. I never had any patience with the protesters (left or right) who take their street activities into Q&A sessions, instead of leaving them at the door and acting like reasonable adults inside. The right wing has really gone way beyond that with the purposeful disruption of meetings, though.

I don't recall any modern town hall meetings in the past that were interrupted by left wingers/Democrats to the extent that teabaggers (heh) do it, but it wouldn't surprise me either. But even it has happened, it is quite obvious that the teabaggers are quite organized and well funded, just follow the money...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:27:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if were going to get into this kind of discussion, I'm gonna tell it like I see it. The left is not nearly as organized as the right is. There are simply too many factions on the left to get the kind of dirty tricks the right does, together. To say that both sides do it might be true if you don't take into consideration how much less often and how weakly the kinds of protests that we have seen at town hall meetings by the right that the left actually engages in.

All things are not equal. And sure there are nutballs on both sides. But unless you consider being for, say, a public option in the debate for health care as being a nutball position, the argument that both sides are being disruptive fails.

When Bush took us to Iraq, the anti war protests were held outside of federal buildings. The discussion went on.

Nope. The top of the right really does have a dirty trick mentality. A win at almost any cost mentality. Even most of the right who did not believe the claims of the "deathers" wouldn't weigh in because it was an effective campaign that has probably helped to kill the public option, even though it was/is based on demonstrable falsehoods.

Sorry, but the right really does play much dirtier than the left does.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:31:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Ed Brayton, we get a selection of overreaction to this speech. (Requoting) From Glenn Beck:
Gang, you have a system that is wildly, wildly out of control, and they are capturing your kids. As Van Jones himself has said, the earlier we get the kids, the earlier we make this adjustment with the youth, the easier this transition is going to be. Stand guard America. Your republic is under attack.
Mark Finkelstein:
Say, here's an idea. Pres. Obama's quotations on a variety of topics could be assembled in a small book, and every citizen given one--free of course--by the government. Citizens would then be encouraged to meet and discuss "what can we infer the President believes is important" in every aspect of life.

Naturally, those citizens who improperly interpret "what the president believes is important" will be given additional educational opportunities to learn and reflect on his message. They will be housed in special government schools for people of all ages, to be set up across the country in quiet, rural areas, free from the stress of everyday life that can cloud clear thinking.
Meredith Jessup:
...massive abuse of government power.
Pam Geller:
The fascist in chief is taking his special brand of brainwashing to the classroom. Keep your kids home.
Ed calls Michelle Malkin's claims "relatively mild."

Ed also singles out WND, but they're mostly just letting other people talk for them, like Free Republic:
He's recruiting his civilian army. His 'Hitler' youth brigade
Docstoc.com:
What's he going to do, tell the kids to report their parents to the Thought Police if they don't support Obamacare?
AmericanElephant.com:
I am not going to compare President Obama to Hitler. We'll leave that to others and you can form your own opinions about them and their analogies. ... However, we can learn a lot from the spread of propaganda in Europe that led to Hitler's power. A key ingredient in that spread of propaganda was through the youth
(As one commenter notes, that's, "I'm not going to compare Obama to Hitler, I'm just going to compare Obama to Hitler.")

And I didn't realize, when I posted the link to the "Daily Paul" earlier, that that's a site promoting Ron Paul. I am so very glad that I only thought of him as a viable candidate for about three seconds.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:48:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and here is the Department of Education's announcement.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we have persecution complex (both religious and political) combined with projection and a "manifest destiny" worldview plus plenty of money. Gives me the shivers.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am jealous of filthy's writing ability. For the record.
I am, too.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:36:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RE the disruption of town hall meetings:

Conservative pundits accross the board (Limbaugh, Orielly, Hannity, MAnn Coulter, Malking, and several others) ALL were complaining about the "don't taze me bro!" kid, saying he deserved to be tazed for disrupting.

Now it seems that the most noble thing you can do is go disrupt a town hall.

Robb, if you had just made this thread about the clearly inappropriate behavior of the teacher in the video you linked we'd probably all be nodding our heads with you and condeming it.

You have taken it a few steps further though. You go from that to complaining about the POTUS giving a speech (as if a 15-30 minute presentation is going to brainwash your fucking kids... fercryin out loud) and now you are defending Malkin et al. So I have to wonder what your motivation really is here.

I'll ask you again, what do you think can be said in a single short speech that has you so worried? Why do you disbelieve the announced content of the speech?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.