WoE: "Futuristic" Island
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  21:14:39  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What on Earth? #50: "Futuristic" Island

This exercise marks the 50th in the series. (After this, a new contest of the same sort will commence.)

The winner overall of this series of 50 may choose any combination of prizes, priced under a total value of $25, from the Skeptic Friends Network Gift Shop. I will pay for this and have it delivered to the winner.

Originally built as a harbor defense fortress in the mid-1800's, this large artificial island is now the site of a cargo handling facility, as well as (in my opinion) one of the most absurdly-named communities on earth. This community was originally planned to have a population of over 100,000, but fell far short of this goal.

Once again, for two points for each of these three questions:

1. What's the name of the island?

2. What's the silly, unrealistic sci-fi name that has been given to the community there?

Extra credit question:

3. What leader originally oversaw the construction of this island?

Click for larger version

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/08/2009 22:34:52

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  23:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Odaiba Island

2. Tokyo Teleport Town

3. The Tokugawa shogunate - Tokugawa

The Tokugawa shogunate, was a feudalism regime of Japan established by Tokugawa Ieyasu and ruled by the shoguns of the Tokugawa family

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

1. Odaiba Island

2. Tokyo Teleport Town

3. The Tokugawa shogunate - Tokugawa

The Tokugawa shogunate, was a feudalism regime of Japan established by Tokugawa Ieyasu and ruled by the shoguns of the Tokugawa family

Correct, correct, and correct enough for three points, doubled! Congratulations, Bill! You really showed a spurt of extra strength in the final lap. Please email me with your prize selection, and mailing details.

The name I was looking for was that of a man who more personally had the island made than did the Shogun. That man was Egawa Hidetatsu Tarozaemon. But of course, neither Egawa nor the Tokugawa Shogun exactly got their fingernails dirty with the work. Probably a commoner named something like Ichiro Ito got a lot more up close and personal with the work. But that the Tokugawa Shogunate made the island is a legitimate answer.

Final results for this series of 50:
  1. bngbuck, 38 points
  2. Dave W., 22 points
  3. tw101356, 22 points
  4. lorddix, 9 points
  5. Hal, 7 points
  6. Moakley, 4 points
  7. Steinhenge, 4 points
  8. Hawks, 3 points
  9. Simon, 3 points
  10. astropin, 1 point
  11. Dude, 1 point
  12. Filthy, 1 point
(Ties above are listed in alphabetical order.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/09/2009 00:21:56
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Addendum

The leader you may be looking for was Egawa Hidetatsu, a 19th Century Daikan in charge of several Shogunal domains.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:21:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Addendum

The leader you may be looking for was Egawa Hidetatsu, a 19th Century Daikan in charge of several Shogunal domains.
Thank you. That came in right after my posting, but your original answer was good enough, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:29:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner.....

My last post was made before I read your last response - I was still reading the fascinating history of that strange place. As to the $25.00 prize, I have a better idea. Donate $25.00 to SFN via PayPal and I will match it with my $25.00 donation.

Also, with anybody that beats me in the next contest.

I am sorry that I missed many of the games while I was out of town, but I was too damn busy to sit down with the laptop!
Edited by - bngbuck on 09/09/2009 00:32:12
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  04:45:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill, that was a wonderful and generous idea, thank you. I have now made a $25.00 payment to SFN via PayPal. For confirmation, you may email atomic (at) skepticfriends (dot) org.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner.....

Atomic said: "Thanks for the two bits, but where's Buck's Buggati?"

I'm just sayin'.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, for one, welcome our new Googling overlord.

Congratulation on your masterful victory Bngbuck!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  11:31:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, if I'd known that cash were on the line, I would have worked harder.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  12:45:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon.....

Worship is at noon and 3:00 AM weekdays, and nonstop on weekends.
I will bless you as soon as I finish will all the rest.

By the way, Google had nothing to do with it. I carry most of that stuff around in my head. Mooner pays me to blurt out the rest of it just so folks will pay attention to him!
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  14:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Simon.....

Worship is at noon and 3:00 AM weekdays, and nonstop on weekends.
I will bless you as soon as I finish will all the rest.

By the way, Google had nothing to do with it. I carry most of that stuff around in my head. Mooner pays me to blurt out the rest of it just so folks will pay attention to him!

3 AM!

No; I need my beauty sleep, and, hence, will have to stick to the old time religion...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.