WoE # 52: Syncretic Silliness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  02:16:14  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What on Earth? #52: Syncretic Silliness

This image shows the "Vatican" of a religion so wildly syncretic that it leaves my sides aching from laughter. There are some wildly weird religions out there, but this one deserves a special prize for its absurdity.

For one point for each question:

1. What's the name of the religion?

2. What's the name of the city in which it is headquartered?

Click for larger version

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/10/2009 02:32:47

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  06:45:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's a drastically different image than the one I saw at 5:30 this morning. What gives?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hey, that's a drastically different image than the one I saw at 5:30 this morning. What gives?
Oh, you caught that, eh?

I discovered that Google Earth markers had marked the wrong place. I finally found the right one a few minutes later, by comparing a ground photo with the aerial imaging. This one I'm sure about. The other was way different indeed.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/10/2009 07:24:25
Go to Top of Page

lorddix

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:41:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lorddix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Cao Dai

2. Tây Ninh

The full name of the religion is Dai Dao Tam Ky Pho Do or in english - Great religion of the third period of revelation and salvation

For more information on Cao Dai.
Edited by - lorddix on 09/10/2009 07:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  09:17:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good find Lorddix!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  18:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by lorddix

1. Cao Dai

2. Tây Ninh

The full name of the religion is Dai Dao Tam Ky Pho Do or in english - Great religion of the third period of revelation and salvation

For more information on Cao Dai.
Correct on each, lorddix! That's two points for you.

The building is the Holy See of Cao Dai. They believe that the Tao existed forever, then the Big Bang created God. Among those the Cao Dai revere are Jesus, Muhammad, Victor Hugo, the Buddha, and Joan of Arc.

The standings:
  1. bngbuck, 2 points
  2. lorddix, 2 points

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/10/2009 18:20:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.