Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  20:06:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

No offense to our american friends, but I am so glad I do not live there! This is just comedy to us in the rest of the world, but imagine having to deal with such people when you have no choice, like poor Obama does!
No offense taken. Clearly, we yanks are playing catch-up with the rest of the "First World" (and even with some of the Third World) in the vital matter of universal health care.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  02:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's a confirmed idiot.
In December 2003, when Essie Mae Washington-Williams acknowledged that she was the illegitimate daughter of the recently-deceased South Carolina Senator Storm Thurmond, Joe “You Lie” Wilson said he didn't believe her.

Rep. Wilson, a former page of Thurmond's, immediately told The State newspaper that he didn't believe Williams. He deemed the revelation “unseemly.” And he added that even if she was telling the truth, she should have kept the inconvenient facts to herself:

If anyone needs to learn to keep their stupid gob shut, it's Wilson.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  03:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As might be expected, Keith Olbermann has a few, choice words on the matter, not many of them kind words
Keith lets Rep. "Wrong-Way" Wilson have it in this Special Comment.

And finally, as promised, a Special Comment about the shout of "You Lie" during the presidential address to the joint session of Congress last night on the matter of health care reform.

The 43rd president of the United States lied the nation into the war, lied 4,343 of his fellow citizens to death in that war, lied about upholding the constitution, and lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction.

He lied about how he reacted to Al-Qaeda before 9/11 and he lied about how he reacted to Al-Qaeda after 9/11.

He lied about getting Bin Laden, and he lied about not getting Bin Laden.

He lied about nation-building in Iraq, lied about the appearance of new buildings **in** the nation **of** Iraq, and lied about embassy buildings in nations like Iraq.

He lied about trailers with mobile weapons labs in them, and he lied about trailers with Cuban prostitutes in them.

He and his administration lied -- by the counting of one non-profit group -- 532 times about links between Al-Qaeda and Iraq. Only 28 of those were by that President, but he made up for that by lying 231 times about W-M-D.

And yet not once did an elected Democratic official shout out during one of George W. Bush's speeches and call him a "liar."

Even when the president was George W. Bush, even when he was assailed from sidelines like mine, even when the lies came down so thick the nation needed a hat... he was still the President and if he didn't earn any respect, the office he held demanded respect.

More over, that President and his Congressional tools like Congressman Addison Graves "Joe" Wilson of South Carolina insisted not just unquestioned respect for the office; they wanted unanimous lock-step compliance with the man.

And when the blasphemy of mere respectful criticism somehow came anyway -- say by, or built on that by, the real Joe Wilson -- lord help he who might have made the slightest factual error in that criticism.

Congressman Wilson and his masters and the flying monkeys of right-wing media would pursue the erroneous critic to the ends of their careers, firing hot accusations of moral or intellectual confusion and incompetence at the unbelievers.

And that is the line Congressman Wilson crossed last night when he shouted "you lie" at this President of the United States.

I am also reading that Wilson is a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a once patriotic organization dedicated to public service, which has since been taken over by secessionist looney toons.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  04:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I am also reading that Wilson is a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a once patriotic organization dedicated to public service, which has since been taken over by secessionist looney toons.
A number of years back, when I was researching my genealogy, I was invited by a lady (who'd provided some data about my great-grandfather) to attend a meeting of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The meeting took place in a meeting hall proved to them by and within Travis Air Force Base.

The main things that that I recall that took place were the display of the Confederate battle flag, and the singing of pro-Confederacy songs. I never knew so many existed!

The fifty to a hundred attendees of all ages (all but one white -- one black man was there for some reason) seemed to know these songs by heart. Talking to attendees, I found that most of them thought Southern secession was still both possible and desirable. The overall effect upon me was that it all gave me the creeps. I never again attended an SCV event, and stopped replying to the email of the lady who'd invited me.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2009 04:36:38
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  05:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the Keith Olbermann commentary. It was absolutely spot on with this in my opinion being the most significant.
But this nation cannot survive the continued acceptance, the continued endorsement, the continued encouragement, the continued institutionalization… of stupidity.
Having just completed "Idiot America" by Charles Pierce stupidity is out of control in this country and has been for some time.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  08:31:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now -- wouldn't you know it? -- Adolf Hitler weighs in on the speech.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2009 08:32:04
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  12:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Apocalypse is upon us!

Why oh why, OH WHY didn't I spend more time praisin' Jesus and getting a gay hooker to feed me meth, and raping choir-boys like a devoted Christian? The end is nigh and I haven't regretted committing nearly enough sins!
When Bill O'Reilly starts correcting you, and you're a conservative, your star may be fading.

Appearing on O'Reilly's “O'Reilly Factor” Thursday, conservative author Ann Coulter told Fox News' Bill O'Reilly that she approved of the congressman that disrupted President Barack Obama's speech. O'Reilly, however, repeatedly corrected Coulter's misstatements about President Obama's healthcare plans and told the perpetual saber-rattler she had gone “too far.”

Oh, whatever shall I do?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  19:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If anyone needs to learn to keep their stupid gob shut, it's Wilson.

Actually I would prefer that bigoted assholes like that keep flapping their lips so that we can readily identify them.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  22:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Apocalypse is upon us!

Why oh why, OH WHY didn't I spend more time praisin' Jesus and getting a gay hooker to feed me meth, and raping choir-boys like a devoted Christian? The end is nigh and I haven't regretted committing nearly enough sins!
When Bill O'Reilly starts correcting you, and you're a conservative, your star may be fading.

Appearing on O'Reilly's “O'Reilly Factor” Thursday, conservative author Ann Coulter told Fox News' Bill O'Reilly that she approved of the congressman that disrupted President Barack Obama's speech. O'Reilly, however, repeatedly corrected Coulter's misstatements about President Obama's healthcare plans and told the perpetual saber-rattler she had gone “too far.”

Oh, whatever shall I do?

When did O'Reilly start to have standards? I imagine he would love to call Obama on the things Coulter said are in the bill, but to say it isn't? Since when does he have a fact-checker?

Or does he sense a change in the wind?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  04:04:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a wrap-up of sorts:
Media Matters: The tea party teapot tempest rages on
September 11, 2009 9:20 pm ET

It's fitting that a week that began with conservatives warning about the president indoctrinating schoolchildren would end with those same conservatives acting like schoolchildren in the face of perceived indoctrination. Leading up to President Obama's September 8 back-to-school address to our nation's students, the conservative media loudly voiced their opposition to the speech, insisting that the president was recruiting children to his political goals and conscripting them into his civilian army. Of course, when none of that happened and Obama delivered the speech he intended to deliver, conservatives still managed to declare victory, claiming -- with an admitted lack of evidence and an implied lack of sense -- that the White House had secretly changed the speech in response to their heroic exposé of Obama's attempt to corrupt the minds of the youth.

But conservatives wouldn't have to wait long for some genuine "indoctrination," as the president took to the dais of the House of Representatives on September 9 to restate the case for health care reform. And they reacted in true playground fashion. "You lie," screamed Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) in the middle of Obama's address, much to the shock and chagrin of the assembled legislature. While Wilson's Republican colleagues upbraided him in public and private and Wilson himself apologized, the conservative media got busy enshrining a new hero. Rush Limbaugh "was ecstatic when he heard" Wilson's shout and wished he hadn't apologized. "Joe Wilson simply articulated what millions of Americans were saying," said Limbaugh. Hot Air blogger Allahpundit responded by calling the president a "jackass." Obama wasn't the only "jackass" of the evening, as Red State's Erick Erickson, in the midst of lauding Wilson "a great American hero," called Sen. Bob Bennett (R-UT) a "jackass" for "clap[ing] when Barack Obama bashed Sarah Palin over the death panels."
I'm sure there are some Republicans out there who are honest and intelligent, but I declare, I am having a degree of difficulty recalling any, and at the moment, it seems to be the party of stupidity. Small wonder then, that Rush Limbaugh is it's titular leader.

Edited to add this:
Saturday, September 12, 2009
My take on the teabaggers: Very white, older and very, very angry
by Joe Sudbay (DC) on 9/12/2009 07:20:00 PM
Today, as we all know, was Teabagger day in D.C. This morning, my running partner, Courtney and I did our long run along the Mall so we could check out the scene. We were among them.

Early on, the organizers had predicted millions would attend. Not even close. I was at the inauguration and saw what millions looked like. This was very far from it. Very far. The Washington Post reported there were "tens of thousands." Teabaggers have been tweeting a fake picture (of a sunny day and today wasn't sunny) apparently to claim they had a bigger crowd. Mike Stark has a video showing the size of the crowd, which really didn't extend too far down the Mall. In fact, the National Black Family Reunion took up most of the mall today. Yes, that event was taking place at the same time the teabaggers were protesting. (At 14 seconds into Mike Stark's video, you can see the white tents for the family reunion on the other side of a big patch of empty lawn.) Quite a juxtaposition.

I didn't know they were teabagging on the Mall but I suppose I should have, the day being the one it is and all. It's interesting to see that the idiots are still inflating their numbers.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/13/2009 04:28:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds.