Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:58:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I belong to the largest non party out there? Cool.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  20:00:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no disagreement with the opinions stated, like by bngbuck, mooner, etc. I agree. Maybe I just have or prefer a narrower use or definition of stupid. I prefer to not equate lack of intelligence with being stupid, while it does appear the terms can be interchanged. However I contend, highly intelligent people are capable of stupid acts.
Isn't it strange how when the republicans controlled the presidency and congress they bulldozed anything they wanted through. Now the demo's are in the same place they can't hardly do shit. A depressing performance for the group elected by more intelligent voters. Could it be the difference between the republicans and democrats is, democrats with smarter voters elect dumber politicians, while the republicans with dumber voters elect smarter politicians. Ugh! I feel ill, it's depressing. Just like I said earlier, "highly intelligent people are capable of stupid acts". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  10:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So someone who is extremely intelligent in one area...say electrical engineering, but is seemingly a moron in most other aspects; are they stupid or not?

I would vote - stupid......unless I had an electrical engineering problem

A PhD does not mean someone is overall intelligent. They may very well be just narrowly defined intelligent.

Then again there are those out there who appear to be very well rounded intelligent but still maintain a number of Woo-Woo beliefs.....I don't understand it, but it appears to happen all the time.

I may simply boil down to the time they dedicated to educate themselves on these issues......for many it is very little to none at all. But again....that in itself can be seen as a form of stupidity.

The Ol "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'm going to give you an earful anyway".

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  20:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mooner......

I said:
I contend that, by and large, most Republican party line voters are stupid.
You said:
there is a strong tendency for intelligent people to self-select towards the other party.

These massive self-selections do significantly tilt the relative mean intelligence levels of the members of the political parties, I suspect.
I suspect that means that we agree strongly on the premise that most Republican party-line voters are stupid.
I also said:
I also contend that, by far for the most part, devout Christians, Muslims, and Jews are stupid people.
How do you feel about that?
I generally agree with all that, but I also want to make it clear that some of these people are very bright indeed. Though the bulk of the flock may be sheep-stupid, it would be very foolish to underestimate the leaders of one's opposition. (As a historical example: Think Jesuits.)

So I guess you might say I cautiously and partially agree with you, and cautiously and partially agree with Dude.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/18/2009 20:44:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.