Updated version of the Nigerian Scam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  22:02:21  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For your edification, I just received the following:
Dear ***,

I am captain Bob Wood Young, a UK army officer at Iraq war. I am looking for a good person to make deal with him. I have a box contains 5 million dollars and I got this box of money in one area where bomb blasted and killed all the people in the entire area. When I saw the box, I thought it was a dangerous war weapon but as I opened it and money inside the box then I took the box of money to my office without letting my boys to be aware or any other officer. I have only two weeks to stay in Iraq and I can not go out of Iraq with the box as I must go with military plane and no way can? enter into the military plane with the box of money.

I need to move the box out of Iraq first before next week to a trustable person who will receive the box and keep it until we meet. I have been here in Iraq for the past eight months now and will be retired in next two weeks time. I will arrange with a diplomatic missionary here in Iraq to move the box of money out through their diplomat to any of your choice destination .However, the diplomatic missionary organization will not know the real content of the box to be money for security purposes as I will declare the content of the box to be family valuables for export to my friend as owner and I will pay for the non-inspection certificate of the box here with the organization to enable the box get to it destination without inspection by any authority.

Take care,

Captain Bob Wood Young.
It was sent via the email system of a web service I use, so the IP wouldn't help me. I sent the following to the site's administrators, along with the forwarded email:
Greetings:

I wanted to report the following criminal scam email I received from one of your members. This looks to be a variation of the Nigerian email scam.

Please let me know of the actions you may take.
Due to its errors and oddities, I think the person who wrote the scam email does not have English as his native language.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  22:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should forward it to the Secret Service, too, Mooner. They've got a special email address for 419 scams somewhere on their site. This kind of thing is in their jurisdiction.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  22:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

You should forward it to the Secret Service, too, Mooner. They've got a special email address for 419 scams somewhere on their site. This kind of thing is in their jurisdiction.
Thanks! I'll do just that.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  00:26:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, at the Secret Service site, I have only been able to find directions of what do do if you have been seriously victimized by a 419 (or "Nigerian") scheme. You are supposed to contact a local field office of the Secret Service:
Advance Fee Fraud- The perpetrators of advance fee fraud, known internationally as "4-1-9 fraud" (after the section of the Nigerian penal code which addresses these schemes), are often very creative and innovative. A large number of victims are enticed into believing they have been singled out from the masses to share in multi-million dollar windfall profits for no apparent reason.

If you have received an e-mail or fax from someone you do not know requesting your assistance in a financial transaction, such as the transfer of a large sum of money into an account, or claiming you are the next of kin to an wealthy person who has died, or the winner of some obscure lottery, DO NOT respond. These requests are typically sent through public servers via a generic "spammed" e-mail message. Usually, the sender does not yet know your personal e-mail address and is depending on you to respond. Once you reply, whether you intend to string them along or tell them you are not interested, they will often continue to e-mail you in an attempt to harass or intimidate you. If you receive an unsolicited e-mail of this nature, the best course is to simply delete the message.

Due to a number of aggravating circumstances -- the use of false names, addresses, stolen/cloned/prepaid cell phones and remote e-mail addresses -- verifying the location of and subsequent prosecution of these persons or groups is difficult. The act of sending an e-mail soliciting your assistance in a financial transaction is not a crime in itself. The installation of a credible spam filter and contacting your Internet Service Provider may help deter these unsolicited e-mails. However, there is currently no available program to completely block these types of messages.

If you have suffered a significant financial loss related to advance fee fraud, please contact your local Secret Service field office. Telephone numbers are available in the Field Office Directory on this website or may also be found on the inside cover of your local telephone directory. Any investigation regarding this type of fraud will be conducted on a case by case basis at the discretion of the local Secret Service office and U.S. Attorney's Office.
I have not been victimized, only randomly targeted. Weirdly enough, soliciting help in "transferring money" is itself not a crime.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  03:40:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the SS has changed its policies since last I checked (years ago).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  06:06:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably because there is no way to keep track of or track down the sheer volume of emails they'd recieve. My spam filter gets several of those things a week, anyone with an established email address is probably getting them regularly.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.