AiG's News to Note.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  17:28:24  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know; exercise in futility, really, but it seems to me that somebody should keep track of the Sacred Spin. This week's includes comments on the recently described Raptorex kriegsteini, a bit of a whine on the "Nones," something about Mars being red that I haven't figured out why they bothered to include, and wrapping up with some strenuous apologetics concerning the Flood and the beginning construction date of the Great Pyramid (August 23, 2470 BC). It's worth opening the link for this alone.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  18:16:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this from their article about the movie, Creation:
Furthermore, the point seems to be lost on some of the backers of Creation that showing the human side of Charles Darwin won’t alter creationists’ scientific and logical appraisal of his ideas. Creationists are aware of Darwin’s many struggles over religious issues, especially as they related to his family and his ideas (see Darwin’s Personal Struggle with Evil, for instance). But an idea that goes against the status quo or that has harsh social consequences is not therefore correct.
[Bolding added.]

Note that while drawing attention to the one hand that is making a valid point about Darwin's struggles having noting to do with the truth of his theories, the other hand slyly sneaks in an absurd claim that Young Earth Creationism is "scientific." Sleight of hand tricks, as usual.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/26/2009 18:17:41
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  20:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

...something about Mars being red that I haven't figured out why they bothered to include,...

Well, it's because it disproves evolution of course!

Somehow...

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  23:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Originally posted by filthy

...something about Mars being red that I haven't figured out why they bothered to include,...

Well, it's because it disproves evolution of course!

Somehow...
I think I understand what that was about. Like our own Bill, the Creationists at AiG think that any controversy or change in scientific thinking simply proves the fallibility of science.

Instead of it being a strength of science that it tests and reconsiders its hypotheses and theories, they see science's very self-correcting mechanism itself as a weakness. To them, science doesn't have anything "inerrant" like the Bible to test itself with. (Testing against reality doesn't count, as reality's a well-known atheist.)

Since science is essentially a system of self-correcting mechanisms for understanding the world, Creationists will always have the fool's gold of scientific controversy to mine. They take that nugget of pyrite, polish it up a bit and present it to their scientifically illiterate followers as proof that science may have facts, but has no Truths.

It's Change They Can't Believe In.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/27/2009 23:22:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  07:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I almost feel a little sorry for them. Almost. Due to their statement of faith, which is all but a vow of servitude, they are shackled together and must check their logic & reason at the door. That's a piss-poor way to run a railroad.

And I think that they are really getting worried about the numbers of kids getting into higher education and leaving the church.
What can church and parents do to stop our young people from leaving?
Mike Matthews, editor of Answers magazine, spoke with Al Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, about one of the most pressing questions in the church today: “With so many children leaving the church by their twenties, what are we doing wrong, and what solutions can the church and parents implement?”

Statistics indicate that around two-thirds of children who grew up in conservative churches are now leaving by the time they reach their twenties. What seems to be the problem?

The pattern of young people leaving the church is different than it was even in some recent generations, where it was more temporary. It now appears, in the lives of millions of young people raised in our churches, to be a rather permanent alienation from the church and from the truth claims of Christianity.

Their worldview [sic] was evidently not shaped adequately by biblical truths such that they were able to withstand the tide of the secular culture and the allure of the other worldviews [sic]] around them.
Cutting to the chase; it seems they're not brain-washing the young'ns clean enough. They're allowing them to think for themselves and that can be dangerous when the the kids come into the reality-based world.

I don't think that they can stop nor even slow down the exodus of the young. And even if they don't become atheist or agnostic, they still won't be donating time and wealth to Christianity and it's pious scammers.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  09:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's heartwarming news, Filthy. The funny thing is, I'll bet that the harder the fundies try to indoctrinate their young people to prevent this, the more certainly those young people reject them.

Fundies like Ham understand the problem, but their solution is to make it worse.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.