Republican Site Crashes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  09:01:43  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love The Onion

"GOP.com, the new social networking site for Republicans, crashed hours after it was launched on Tuesday. What do you think?"

Dave Nowak,
Campus Activities Director
"No site structure can possibly withstand that many people typing in all caps."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  12:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Coincidently, I have just returned from a harrowing safari into the wilds of GOP.com, the new and improved website for the RNC. It was quite interesting because there I found a page of Republican heroes. There really aren't very many of them, and I, and others, wonder what poor Jacky Robinson did to deserve such disrespect. One suspects that they were just scrambling for names and found the guy who not only broke the color barrier in pro baseball, but was a damned fine second baseman as well. Don't recall hearing that he was a Republican, though.

The Rude Pundit did me the favor of researching some of the more doubtful of these folks (scroll down), and lo & behold:
10/14/2009
Fun Facts About Great and Achieving Republicans (A Corrective to GOP.com's Historical Whitewash):

The cool thing about the people discussed at the shiny new nickel of a site, GOP.com, is that if you tell only part of the story, you can make anyone seem just awesome. You may have already heard about the absurdity of citing Jackie Robinson as a Republican "hero." Well, the whole damn site is filled with historical myopia. To wit:

Samuel Curtis, cited at GOP.com for writing the Pacific Railway Act while an Iowa congressman, was also a general in the Union army. He sent the following message in a telegram in 1864 to Colonel John Chivington, who was fighting Native Americans in Colorado: "I want no peace till the Indians suffer more...No peace must be made without my directions." This led directly to the Sand Creek Massacre of a large group of Cheyenne. (Fun side note: Chivington loved to give lectures where he showed off the dozens of scalps he collected.)
And so forth. The mal-accomplishments of some of these “heroes” is remarkable,

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  14:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too freakin' much:
RNC Web Site Pays Tribute To Ronaldus Magnus
Eric Kleefeld | October 14, 2009, 3:26PM

The new Republican National Committee Web site has been derided for its "GOP Heroes" section -- which teaches us that almost all of the great Republicans lived in the 1800's, and about half of them were black -- but there's another illustrious name on the list: Ronaldus Magnus.

The site's page on Ronald Reagan includes this citation of the party's great hero, giving him a stylized name we might see on a Roman emperor:
No, it ain't The Onion, but the RNC site is in the running. What a bunch of mooks...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.