Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  06:10:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Holy cow. From Orac (yes, again), I've learned that Maher took the opportunity presented by his season finale to defend himself against the accusations that he's anti-science-based-medicine, and was taken to school this time by Chris Matthews, who had the good sense to compare Maher to Tom Cruise.

Unbelievably, Maher used the "it's not settled science" gambit, insisting that there's less evidence for the efficacy and safety of vaccines than there is for anthropogenic global warming, and further insisting that he's not as "crazy" as the people who argue against AGW or evolution. Yes, Bill, you are. When it comes to vaccines and "Western" medicine, you're every bit as nutty as our own Bill scott.

I can't even watch the clip that Orac's posted. I really liked the guy. But if he's parading his ignorance around, claiming that vaccination is giving someone "a little bit of the disease," I'm not going to give him even the itsy-bitsy amount of "support" that comes with an increased-by-one YouTube view count.

And what's he got against Jell-O?

Yeah, it was embarrassing to watch. I'm a fan of his HBO show (and him, mostly), but he has really put his own head on the block with vaccines, food, and drugs.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:50:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose it isn't right for me to do this, but I have have been saying for years that Bill Maher is a prime example of a guy who thinks he is smarter than he is. His show may be entertaining, but I doubt there has been a single episode that I have watched and didn't have to winced at something he has said that was anti-science or misogynistic or whatever... I don't care if he is an atheist. His movie wasn't even that good, unless you enjoy cheap shots and watching some smug asshole smoking a joint while trying to teach us a lesson. Brilliant it wasn't. So I don't even get the award on the grounds that his (sophomoric) movie mattered in any way.

Sigh...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  14:29:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the Politically Incorrect finale and it was painful to watch Bill talk about vaccinations as if he was well read on the subject yet still considers the subject controversial. When he muttered something about "western medicine" yadda yadda my ears perked right up at those woo woo keywords. I think Bill's lived in LA too long.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  05:59:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Martin Gardner's column in the Nov/Dec 2009 Skeptical Inquirer is titled "Bill Maher: Crank and Comic." Amusingly, Gardner's criticism of Maher's ideas about vaccines and the germ theory is just about all sourced from (guess who?) Orac.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  11:38:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems that just about everyone has a weak spot somewhere......what's yours?

Mine is wanting to really buy into Kurzweil's Technological Singularity.

That and the feasibility of cryonics.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  17:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Kurzweil's idea... but it can't really be anything but interesting conjecture. It's certainly an interesting idea, I just don't know if it's realistic.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  06:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill Maher thinks that vaccines compromise your immune system, so it's good for you to get a flu shot if you have a compromised immune system.

Orac has more, of course.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  15:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Michael Shermer schools Bill Maher. On HuffPo, believe it or not.

H/T Orac (of course).

Well said, Mr. Shermer!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.