Darwin as Noah in painting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  06:12:38  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My aunt forwarded me a link to this painting of famous figures from history and today. When you scroll over the person, it says who they are and a link to their wikipedia page opens up. Oddly, when I scrolled over what I thought was Noah, it said "Charles Darwin or Noah" and when I clicked on it, it went to the page on just Charles Darwin.

http://cliptank.com/PeopleofInfluencePainting.htm

So I'm interpreting this painting as acknowledging Darwin as the real historical figure (opposed to a legendary figure) and has depicted Darwin costumed as Noah to symbolize science replacing myths to explain observations in the world. Most aspects of this painting aren't especially creative in my opinion. They are just the famous figures all hanging out in the same scene. But this depiction of Darwin as Noah is a bit more creative, seems to have more of a meaning to ponder, so I enjoyed it more than most parts of the painting.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  06:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The painting overall is fun. It's one of those things that inspires the question, "But is it Art?"

Yeah, the Moses/Darwin bit was cute. Maybe the artists are saying that Darwin is a mythical figure?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/20/2009 06:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  10:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they stated "Charles Darwin or Noah" because they wanted to basically appeal to both free thinkers and Christians – similar to the way cable news shows don't take a stand but tend to leave a question open so they don’t loose any segment of viewers. Also the face looks like Darwin and also like a Hollywood Noah.

Take note also of Beethoven, Elvis, Nobel, Tolstoy, Mozart, Annan, and Cui Jian (identified as the father of Chinese Rock & Roll,) jamming on instruments. Not pictured is Barrack Obama – the three Chinese artists completed the painting before he was elected.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  11:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they stated "Charles Darwin or Noah" because they wanted to basically appeal to both free thinkers and Christians – similar to the way cable news shows don't take a stand but tend to leave a question open so they don’t loose any segment of viewers. Also the face looks like Darwin and also like a Hollywood Noah.
I think if they wanted to appeal to both they'd have rendered both figures separately and wouldn't have just linked to Darwin's entry in wikipedia.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  15:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the hell is Mike Tyson doing there?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  17:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marf, are you assuming that this is the website of the painters? I don't have the time to fully look into it, but this seems not to be the case. For instance, the email at the bottom is not one of the artists. I think the guy who put the painting up wasn't sure whether it was Darwin or Noah, and when you link you can only link to one page so he went with Darwin.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  18:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the two LOL cats!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.