V
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  17:38:55  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight, ABC is re-launching the mini-series V. For those not in the US (or too young), the original show aired in 1983. The premise of both shows is the same: human-looking aliens come to earth promising advances in technology, etc., in exchange for some of our natural resources.

Of course, the visitors are really evil reptiles who ultimately plan to plunder the planet and (at least in the original) use humans as food. (!!)

I bring it up here at SFN because while the original V was an allegory for Nazi Germany-- right down to the visitors' swastika-like symbol:

this new version seems to have a different spin. In particular, they visitors seem to present themselves sort of as almost religious leaders. For instance, in its review, USA Today quotes the executive producer:
'There's a lemming mentality that goes on in our humanity, and the idea of blind devotion, to me, is really fascinating. If you don't ask questions about things you have faith in, it could wind up coming back to bite you.'

There are probably other ways to interpret the show-- and none or all might be right. But I'll be curious to see if they push this religion/blind devotion thing in the series.

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/03/2009 19:30:16

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  19:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Growing up I thought V was pretty much the best television show that had ever been made. Don't know what I'd think if I saw it again today, but I have a feeling I'd still think it kicks ass. Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely check out the new series. I think the idea of the Visitors coming to Earth as messianic figures sounds like a great idea. It's always the groups who promise heaven that end up causing hell. Not really all that different than modeling them after Nazis when you think about it.

I just hope they keep the fake skin. They better not make them shape-shifters or anything. You have to be able to rip their faces off and expose them!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/03/2009 19:18:29
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  05:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it better than I thought I would. No shapeshifting HH, though I want to smack Elizibeth Mitchell's kid, what a snot. Should be On Demand starting today if you have Comcast.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the first episode. Is this a actual rerun of the original V (which I didn't see), or is it a remake with chronological updates?

I was getting some decidedly political overtones from last night's show, several references to recent events in the news, so I assume this is new material.

I couldn't get a clear picture of where the politico-religious shading of the plot was going, it actually seemed a mix of conservative and liberal political philosophy with some subtle tones of religious commentary. Brainwashing, subterfuge, hidden agenda of the aliens was evident. It wasn't clear to me why the alligators didn't just use their obviously superior technology to conquer (a la the Wellesian War of the Worlds), instead of all the elaborate subterfuge. I guess this will come out in later episodes.

Great looking crocodile chicks, tho'!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like "V" (original and new version) - do see: "They Live".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:10:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I saw the first episode. Is this a actual rerun of the original V (which I didn't see), or is it a remake with chronological updates?
This is NOT a re-run of the original. You'd have known the original instantly by the decidedly early 80's haircuts of the cast.

Nevertheless, the first episode of this re-imagining seemed fairly true to the original, although this one is a bit truncated-- I don't think we learned that the V were rodent-eating reptiles for a few episodes into the original.

I couldn't get a clear picture of where the politico-religious shading of the plot was going, it actually seemed a mix of conservative and liberal political philosophy with some subtle tones of religious commentary. Brainwashing, subterfuge, hidden agenda of the aliens was evident. It wasn't clear to me why the alligators didn't just use their obviously superior technology to conquer (a la the Wellesian War of the Worlds), instead of all the elaborate subterfuge. I guess this will come out in later episodes.

Great looking crocodile chicks, tho'!
Yes, they threw a lot of stuff out there, with the FBI agent commenting towards the end about how the V are using (and I'm paraphrasing) the most powerful force out there-- devotion-- in this battle. We'll just have to see how it plays out in the coming weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Available online on the 7th at abc.com, in case you don't have crapcast cable with the abc on demand channel.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  14:13:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Nevertheless, the first episode of this re-imagining seemed fairly true to the original, although this one is a bit truncated-- I don't think we learned that the V were rodent-eating reptiles for a few episodes into the original.
There were only two parts to the original miniseries (the smallest it could have and still be called a "series" in any sense), and if I remember correctly, the rodent-eating was revealed near the end of the first part.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  15:18:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
There were only two parts to the original miniseries (the smallest it could have and still be called a "series" in any sense), and if I remember correctly, the rodent-eating was revealed near the end of the first part.
Here is a good fan site that lists the episodes and provides comprehensive overviews. The mice eating was indeed in Part 1:
Mike then uses the internal ductways of the ship to spy on various quarters and the Visitors that occupy them, including one room where Diana describes something called a conversion process to Steven. Ever since the aliens' arrival, nobody has seen them eat much of anything, but Mike soons discovers the reason — they eat live animals, like mice and guinea pigs, whole!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  15:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Then each part must have been longer than an hour! At least, in my memory it went awhile before the ruse was up... and yes, IMDB said the whole thing was 197 minutes. Factoring in commercials and it sounds like 2 2-hour shows.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  16:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune, I was nosing around IMDB's message boards to get a feel for whether or not people liked the new V. A common criticism was that the plot felt "rushed," so you are definitely not alone.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  19:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

If you like "V" (original and new version) - do see: "They Live".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/

And here, I thought I had drunk enough Tequilla to forget Rowdy Roddy Piper's foray into film. This, and "Hell Comes to Frogtown" showcase the Hot Rod's acting ability.

That is, Piper in pain and Piper not in pain.

Does have some funny lines, though.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:06:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Roddy's big fight scene in the alley is way too long but I like most of the rest of the film, especially the Alien-Yuppies and the sequence where he see's standard ads on billboards in town and then through the sunglasses they change to commandments like "Obey" etc., the film is worth a look to anyone who hasn't seen it...

Anyway back to "V"...

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  09:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are probably other ways to interpret the show-- and none or all might be right. But I'll be curious to see if they push this religion/blind devotion thing in the series.
Now that this show has been on air for a bit, I think we can clearly see what slant they've decided to push. Depressingly, the Visitors are a stand in for the Democrats:
More than a few journalists and bloggers have remarked that it's possible to read V as an allegory hostile to President Obama and sympathetic with the birthers and other nutcases who believe him to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. The charismatic Visitors load up their "bandwagon" by "spreading hope." In using their sophisticated iguana technology to provide free medical services, they promise "universal health care." (bolding mine)

This not-so-subtle reference has already begun to shown up in the rhetoric of the tea-partiers. Notice the V on the left side of the sign:

Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/23/2010 09:15:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.