Politics
 Results from NY 23 district
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  20:03:01  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WASHINGTON (CNN) – With only 21 percent of precincts reporting, Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman leads Democrat Bill Owens. The Republican candidate, Dede Scozzafava, withdrew from the race a few days ago.

Let's see what the percentages are....yes, Hoffman is leading Owens....

43% to 52%.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/03/ny23.3.jpg

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  20:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My information says Owens has the lead with 75% in. Should be an interesting race...
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/03/2009 20:38:04
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  05:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the 23rd has a dem for the first time since the civil war.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  07:31:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may have been the most important race. The thing is, while some moderate republicans won in other elections, (which should cause some alarm in the White House) this wingnut, heavily supported by the teabagger nutballs was defeated by a democrat in a district that usually goes republican. The point being that the Beck and Palin contingency are poison to the health of the republican party.

I'm not trying to sugarcoat the situation though. Obama better start getting tough on bank regulations and push for a public option that has teeth. If he doesn't, we're screwed. Fuck bipartisanship. The republicans will not play ball. And Obama better come to that realization very soon. At this point he is seen as outside the fray and still trying to be "a different kind of president." He is coming off as milk-toast.

What people want to see is action. And if he doesn't deliver, the middle will turn. They already are, I suspect mostly out of frustration. So yeah, the wingnuts will be rejected, but moderate republicans are in a better position now if they can get the independents.

The only good news, again, is the 23rd. So along with hoping that Obama grows a pair quickly, and let go of the idea that bipartisanship is best, even if it means compromise that will gut the most important parts of health care reform, my hope is that the teabaggers will keep dividing what's left of the republican party.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather liked this one. The Beckian teagaggers got nicely kicked in the teeth, and damned well high time. A pity the kick was only figurative. Losers!

I agree that Obama should get his act together, like yesterday!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  07:51:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Not True

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York's_23rd_congressional_district

Mike Mcnulty(D) had it before it was redistricted (89-93).

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  08:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Not True

Interestingly, the before-and-after districts appear to have shared about zero geographic area. In 1913, the 23rd district was "Parts of Manhattan," almost as far south in the state as the current 23rd is north.

So when someone says, "Looks like the 23rd has a dem for the first time since the civil war," they probably mean the geographical area, and not the amorphous and ever-changing political entity.

I mean, since the Civil War, the political entity that's called "the 23rd District" (which has traveled the state) has been represented by 18 Democrats and 18 Republicans.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  08:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by Dude

Not True

Robb! Welcome back.

I only know what my TV and FAUXNEWS tell me! All the "news" channels have been reporting it as "republican since the 19th century". If the wikipedia entry is correct, and it probably is, then all the "news" channels are just as useless as they usually are.

But you, Robb, need to click this link and help me understand the damage done to your children by them having to listen to that black guy deliver that 15 minute motivational speech. You know, the one where he told kids to stay in school, study hard, and brainwashed them all and turned them into little liberals!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  13:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fallout has begun. From Crooks and liars:

Rush Limbaugh blames Newt Gingrich for Hoffman's loss in NY-23

Newt was the darling of the right just a few moments ago, it seemed, but now he's in a battle with the lunatic fringe of his own party.

Rush Limbaugh zeroed in on Newtie today and took out his rage against Gingrich and the "party bosses" because he supported a moderate conservative over the Palin-Beck-Limbaugh teabagger nominee named Doug Hoffman and Hoffman lost. Sarah Palin has as much egg on her face as the rest of them do. When a district like NY-23 comes up for election, a Republican always wins. Their purity test helped lose them a guaranteed seat. Pretty awesome.

LIMBAUGH: Here is -- these are my thoughts on New York-23. In the first place, I'll have to double check this, but I'm reasonably sure that this was the highest percentage of the vote ever won on the Conservative Party line by a House or Senate candidate. I think Hoffman had a higher percentage of the vote than even James Buckley, who won his U.S. Senate race on the -- against or against this Gooddell guy, Charles Gooddell, in the '70s. So, that's one thing.

But, the right message; we cannot forget how this whole thing happened in the first place. There was not a primary. The right message here would indict the way party bosses, Republican Party bosses and these big thinkers like Newt screwed the whole thing up from the get go.
No Rush, you bloated piece of noxious drain-blockage, it was the ignorant teabaggers scumbagging around the district rhat killed that election for you. Newt, for once in his life, did everything properly.

And Rush, unlike the Democrats in Congress, we ain't skeered; not of them, not of you. That is the lesson you should take from the 23rd District election.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  18:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newt, for once in his life, did everything properly.

But we all knew it couldn't last. Newt has taken a dive before the reinforced throne of Lord Limbaugh.
I was wondering how Newt Gingrich would react to the crazy teabaggers that attacked him for endorsing Scozzafava: Would he stand by his principles or would he bow down at the altar of Rush Limbaugh?

Here's what what said in his endorsement of Dede Scozzafava:

“The special election for the 23rd Congressional District is an important test leading up to the mid-term 2010 elections,” Gingrich said of Scozzafava's candidacy in a statement to supporters, as reported by the The Post-Standard. “Our best chance to put responsible and principled leaders in Washington starts here, with Dede Scozzafava.”
--
“The Republican Revolution in 1994 started very much like what we see today,” the former speaker said. “Like then, our country is reeling from misguided liberal policies, high taxes and out-of-control spending. This special election in New York’s 23rd Congressional District could be the first election of the new Republican Revolution, but we need the momentum to get it started.”

The NRCC said this:

But Gingrich, who served as Speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999, wants to unite the party. He sees Scozzafava and the Upstate special election – the only House race in the nation this fall -- as the best hope for Republicans to start a comeback and regain control of Congress.

Gingrich is apparently willing to overlook Scozzafava’s support for same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

Very good, but it seems that the Legions of the Hopelessly Deluded have scared him into saying this:
In retrospect it is clear Dede Scozzafava should never have been nominated because she was far too liberal to be acceptable.

Republican leaders in New York must recognize that Mike Long and the Conservative Party in that state have to be consulted before decisions are made. The national conservative movement is a force that has to be recognized and respected.

I certainly heard from enough friends to know that my decision to support the unanimous vote of the 11 New York county chairs was very unpopular with conservative activists.

In New York, after two failed special elections, it is clear the state party has to fight to change the election law so there are primaries in special elections. The insider nominating process is simply unacceptable to grassroots populists and guarantees a sense of illegitimacy.

Keep diggin; that hole, guys; just keep diggin' that hole.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.