Health care bill will pay for "prayer treatments."
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  04:50:08  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orin Hatch snuck this nonsense in with the support of Kerry and Kennedy. No surprise with the loon Hatch but I'm very disappointed with the other two.
This is, to say the least, strange. Crazy enough that Hatch inserted it, odder still that Ted Kennedy and John Kerry supported it. But if passed, this will open the floodgates to every fringe group out there:

Reporting from Washington - Backed by some of the most powerful members of the Senate, a little-noticed provision in the healthcare overhaul bill would require insurers to consider covering Christian Science prayer treatments as medical expenses.

The provision was inserted by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) with the support of Democratic Sens. John F. Kerry and the late Edward M. Kennedy, both of Massachusetts, home to the headquarters of the Church of Christ, Scientist.

The measure would put Christian Science prayer treatments -- which substitute for or supplement medical treatments -- on the same footing as clinical medicine. While not mentioning the church by name, it would prohibit discrimination against "religious and spiritual healthcare."

It would have a minor effect on the overall cost of the bill -- Christian Science is a small church, and the prayer treatments can cost as little as $20 a day. But it has nevertheless stirred an intense controversy over the constitutional separation of church and state, and the possibility that other churches might seek reimbursements for so-called spiritual healing.

Can you say "Scientology"? I knew you could!
I think that it has been sufficiently demonstrated that prayer does nothing for the sufferer and is mainly useful only to give the pray-ers something to occupy them while modern medicine either works or does not. I see no reason to turn wasting their time into a business at the expense of the rest of us.

I find myself reminded of the Teri Schiavo tragedy that was ruthlessly excaberated by religious mouth-breathers, including such scuz-buckets as Randall Terry. It would be insane to leave this item in the final bill.

Pray in one hand and piss in the other -- then you can pray that God won't let you be that stupid again.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/04/2009 04:51:21

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  05:26:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a Canadian with a great public health care plan I can tell you that most of us up here don't know whether to laugh or cry at what's going on with your elected officials. Notice that I didn't call them 'representatives' because I'm not certain that they're actually representing you. They seem to be working for the insurance companies and/or the ultra-far-right.

Why not just ship them all about half-way to somewhere, sink the boat, and start over?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  09:27:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, insurance companies have been paying for acupuncture and chiropractic for some time now. Hatch is a known fan of alternative meds. Apparently he doesn't really care how alternative they are. But the thing is, the insurance companies save lots of money on cheaper "cures." Don't think for a second that the insurance companies have nothing to do with this. My guess is they are lobbying for expanded cheaper "treatments."

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't this sort of thing come with the territory of trying to make healthcare policy in Congress? Isn't there only 1 non-religious person in Congress?

I wonder if Kennedy and Kerry only supported it to appease the Christian Scientists or Hatch himself. They could be campaigning for votes with insignificant provisions?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.