Humor
 Good luck getting to sleep...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  15:52:22  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See if you can spot the problem with this product.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  16:00:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no actual active ingredient:

Description: * Calms Forté is a homeopathic...

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  16:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

See if you can spot the problem with this product.

Which problem? All I see are problems.

I do like the double strength ingredients that are diluted as though potency means anything in a homeopathic. Also, the non-drowsy formula in a product that must make you drowsy to work is a nice touch.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  16:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the ignored.....

Well, outside of the fact that it is a fucking homeopathic preparation, it looks like standard, garden variety snake oil to me.

Is it from some special kind of snake, maybe? Didn't say on the label.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  20:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what stood out for me was that on the box right under the words "Sleep Aid" was "Non-Drowsy Formula." I don't know about other people, but personally, I don't much mind risking drowsiness when trying to get to sleep. It doesn't seem like an adverse side-effect.

Oh, Dave nailed that one first!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/29/2009 20:30:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  02:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Checking out the ingredients, I don't think it'll kill anyone but I don't see where it'll be of much help beyond a mild placebo effect, either. The problem is in rip-off, as a glass of warm milk will do at least as well and provide a little nourishment in the process.

This one, on the other hand, could and probably will get someone badly injured or killed.

These commercial homeopathic remedies are bullshit that is badly in need of some serious regulation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/30/2009 05:18:05
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  08:27:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are only two types of homeopathic preparations which can have any effect. The first would be those which are not diluted to the 'infinitesimal' level, so that some active ingredient still remains. Whether the active ingredient is in any way therapeutic is another matter. The other type would be those turned out by homeopaths who are even less honest than others, the ones who will adulterate their product with a real drug in order to create a real effect. Since you can't be certain of what you're getting in such a thing it could be dangerous due to allergies or interactions with other medication. Bastards.

To a homeopath, a 'double blind' study means keeping both eyes closed while you read the data.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

jacq

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  03:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jacq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of my favourite homeopathic posters... How they are allowed to sell/market this shit is beyond me...

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/04/best_anti-homeopathy_poster_ever.php

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." — Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  09:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That poster is BRILLIANT!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

jacq

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  02:41:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jacq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, isn't it! :) Odd that the homeopathic "practitioners" don't seem to consider the "poo" aspect! I wonder how they would justify that...

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." — Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.