American Noises: Keillor Silences Non-Christians
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  20:27:50  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  02:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool emulation of The Onion there with the commentaries.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  12:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garrison Keillor is indeed a peculiar American icon -- a weird amalgam of country primitive, sophisticated pitchman, musician, liberal-conservative, humorist, hick, and schlock purveyor purified to the sole essence.

Although he is a significantly political public presence, I have never been able to track a consistent direction in the politics hidden in his comedy schtick. The underlying fundamentalist evangelist
emerges pretty clearly, however, and he appears pretty clearly as solidly in the ranks of the Lutheran lunatic fringe - an image calculated to appeal to his intended radio audience in the noble tradition of the Rush Limbaugh school of voice worship.

When he is not opining, which is seldom, I find the guy kind of entertaining, but like five or six ears of country corn, one tires of it after a while. I suspect that Keillor's public persona is tailored precisely to his career goals and has little to do with the private person, who is likely irreligious and apolitical -- strictly a prostitute plying his trade!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  17:38:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, here's a link to Keillor's editorial, "Nonbelievers, please leave Christmas alone."
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Cool emulation of The Onion there with the commentaries.
Thanks! It should be, as I stole the format fair and square.
Originally posted by bngbuck

Garrison Keillor is indeed a peculiar American icon -- a weird amalgam of country primitive, sophisticated pitchman, musician, liberal-conservative, humorist, hick, and schlock purveyor purified to the sole essence.

Although he is a significantly political public presence, I have never been able to track a consistent direction in the politics hidden in his comedy schtick. The underlying fundamentalist evangelist
emerges pretty clearly, however, and he appears pretty clearly as solidly in the ranks of the Lutheran lunatic fringe - an image calculated to appeal to his intended radio audience in the noble tradition of the Rush Limbaugh school of voice worship.

When he is not opining, which is seldom, I find the guy kind of entertaining, but like five or six ears of country corn, one tires of it after a while. I suspect that Keillor's public persona is tailored precisely to his career goals and has little to do with the private person, who is likely irreligious and apolitical -- strictly a prostitute plying his trade!
I myself love much of what Garrison Keillor writes and sings. He's obviously a genius with humor, and especially for his understanding of upper-Midwest culture and personality types.

I've listened for many hours to his "A Prairie Home Companion" program. That makes me all the more disappointed, even angry, to discover that he seems to harbor deep-seated anti-Semitism, as well as homophobia.

It's comforting to think of bigots as being stupid people. But, as Keillor demonstrates, that's not always so.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/27/2009 17:48:05
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  11:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe that he was revealing his own anti-semitism but rather shining a light on anti-semitism in his own brilliant way.

Christmas does not need any improvements. It is a common, ordinary experience that resists brilliant innovation.

Don't change the banality of Christmas, we like it just the was it is. Especially those of us who work so hard to make it perfect.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  12:43:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

I don't believe that he was revealing his own anti-semitism but rather shining a light on anti-semitism in his own brilliant way.
Garrison Keillor has a history of expressing religious tribalism and marginalizing homosexuals and atheists, so I'm less shocked by this outburst than many who find his statements so outrageous that they assume they must be satire. I've yet to read a convincing explanation on exactly why his latest piece shouldn't be read at face value. He doesn't like outsiders messing with his religious holiday. Ok. Where's the supposed irony?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  13:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Garrison Keillor has a history of expressing religious tribalism and marginalizing homosexuals and atheists, so I'm less shocked by this outburst than many who find his statements so outrageous that they assume they must be satire. I've yet to read a convincing explanation on exactly why his latest piece shouldn't be read at face value. He doesn't like outsiders messing with his religious holiday. Ok. Where's the supposed irony?

Yeah. Last night I read Keillor's essay several times, and as many blogs and comments on the piece as I could endure, and my conclusion is that Garrison Keillor meant exactly what he wrote. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because of my love for The Prairie Home Companion, which was a wonderful show. But any doubt I had was eventually quashed. Keillor is just too good of a writer to not include some sort of a wink discernible to his readers. He may be dry, but he isn't that dry.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  12:20:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's disappointing
Keillor’s rage at the “trashing” of Christmas is focused solely on those who go to a different church. As he charmingly puts it, “if you’re not in the club buzz off.”

Apparently, with the loss of the Reverends Falwell and Robertson, Keillor feels the need to take up the banner of religious intolerance.
I really wanted to defend Keillor, but I guess my eyes needed to be opened. <<shrugg>>

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  13:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well that's disappointing
Keillor’s rage at the “trashing” of Christmas is focused solely on those who go to a different church. As he charmingly puts it, “if you’re not in the club buzz off.”

Apparently, with the loss of the Reverends Falwell and Robertson, Keillor feels the need to take up the banner of religious intolerance.
I really wanted to defend Keillor, but I guess my eyes needed to be opened. <<shrugg>>
I can't blame you for your original thoughts on Keillor's Christmas greetings. There's a serious Poe factor there (if only in our minds), and one should always be cautious of taking a humorist's words at face value. What tipped me off that Keillor was dead serious is the complete lack of humor in the piece.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.