Sure, why not?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  12:28:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a very interesting thought; why not fly passenger jets in a Vee formation like snow geese on their way south for the winter? Looks to me that it would work.
It's an interesting idea and of course, nature is again showing the way. The Guardian:

Such experiments suggest that 25 large birds – such as pelicans or geese – flying in a V-shaped formation can travel 70% further than solo birds. Many of the great migratory journeys, some covering thousands of miles, made by birds would be impossible without the energy-saving effects of group flight, scientists say.

But aviation engineers have now taken these discoveries to their logical conclusion and have proposed that aircraft fly in V-shaped groups so they can benefit from similar energy-saving effects. This idea is the brainchild of researchers led by Professor Ilan Kroo, of Stanford University, California, who say airlines could make substantial cuts in the amount of aviation fuel they use.

As a life-long duck, pelican, goose and vulture watcher, I'm always amazed at how easy they make it look -- not the vultures of course; they don't use the Vee. I just happen to like them.

So, can anyone come up with a reason as to why it wouldn't work?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  13:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Yeah. Erwin Washington and several other reasons come to mind.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  14:52:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
I'd bet it's entirely possible it could be done. However...

Aviation safety regulations stipulate aircrafts in mid-air should have a safety distance to each other. I bet the distance is large enough to prevent such flying formations.
Swedish military used to fly "Christmas-tree" formation for display over my home town (among others) a day or two before X-mas. But that's formation flying, and military standards.

They'd never allow commercial flights to do that until they have auto-pilots capable of formation flying. Until then, pilots would actually have to fly themselves, and they simply wouldn't do that for hours on end...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  15:11:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wake turbulence.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  18:09:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, the main reason we won't see much of this is that airports are equipped to handle landings of individual aircraft, rather than the simultaneous landings of entire flocks of them. A formation of commercial airliners would have to circle above an airport as individual planes were cleared to land. I suspect this circling would probably negate the fuel-saving advantage of a V-formation flying.

If it worked out that it was still advantageous, it would probably be so only for the longest of international flights. Can anyone imagine that a flock of, say, 12 international flights from the same originating airport to the same destination -- all at the same time -- would be a desirable way to manage the needs of the passengers?

I think that riding the upward part of wake turbulence is the point of bird-formation flying. There are probably simple technological tools that could be taken to assure a fairly safe spacing of commercial aircraft in formation, but these are probably not already installed.

I don't expect much to come from this idea.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  04:44:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

IMO, the main reason we won't see much of this is that airports are equipped to handle landings of individual aircraft, rather than the simultaneous landings of entire flocks of them. A formation of commercial airliners would have to circle above an airport as individual planes were cleared to land. I suspect this circling would probably negate the fuel-saving advantage of a V-formation flying.

If it worked out that it was still advantageous, it would probably be so only for the longest of international flights. Can anyone imagine that a flock of, say, 12 international flights from the same originating airport to the same destination -- all at the same time -- would be a desirable way to manage the needs of the passengers?

I think that riding the upward part of wake turbulence is the point of bird-formation flying. There are probably simple technological tools that could be taken to assure a fairly safe spacing of commercial aircraft in formation, but these are probably not already installed.

I don't expect much to come from this idea.
Neither do I, but hypothetically the airport traffic problem could be resolved using a number of permanent "squadrons," for lack of a better word, remaining aloft indefinitely. Flights could be assigned to one or another depending upon destinations, and drop out of the formation upon arrival. They would be replaced by others going somewhere else.

This would require careful coordination, something I'm not altogether sure the commercial airlines are capable of, and provide yet another reason not to fly.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/28/2009 04:47:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.