Soon to be the most loathed season?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  14:10:04  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It didn't used to be that way. Christmas Season, by any name, was once a happy time, but now the Culture Whingers Whiners Whackos Warriors are trying to take over and, in the most base of hippocratic, political maneuverings, would have us snarling at one another, "Merryfuckin'Christmasmotherfuckers!" These are Republicans trying to fellate their base, as might be expected.
Dumbass Legislator of the Year
Posted on: December 29, 2009 9:23 AM, by Ed Brayton

Rep. Henry Brown of South Carolina and 74 Republican co-sponsors in the U.S. House of Representatives actually wants Congress to pass a resolution condemning people for saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas."

The religious meaning of Christmas is serious to Brown. In an explanation of his resolution to the Christian Broadcast Network, Brown noted that, "we're in a troubled world," so "we can't lose sight of our deep faith by some how or another diminishing the value of Christmas."
The main threat to Christmas, Brown contents, is the use of the term "happy holidays" rather than an emphasis on "Christ and Christmas."

He continues in an interview with Fox News:

BROWN: We forget the real meaning of Christmas by using "happy holidays" or "joy to the seasons" or some other word rather than "Merry Christmas." [...]
Every year, more and more people are shying away from "Merry Christmas" and using "happy holidays" or some other means of expressing this special time for us.

And of course, he's using this as an attack on Obama:

This foul, little vermiform and his equally slimy fellow travelers have no business in any sort of a leadership role. Indeed, they are scarcely fit to follow. Hypocrisy has no place in governance, or at least that's how it should be.
GOP Lawmaker Behind The Anti-‘Happy Holidays’ Resolution Sent A ‘Happy Holidays’ Greeting Last Year
Leading the fight to defend Christianity in the so-called “War on Christmas,” Rep. Henry Brown (R-SC) introduced congressional resolution 951, which “urges protection of the symbols and traditions of Christmas.” Despite criticism from House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) against frivolous legislation, Brown has pressed forward and collected 74 GOP cosponsors. The religious meaning of Christmas is serious to Brown. In an explanation of his resolution to the Christian Broadcast Network, Brown noted that, “we’re in a troubled world,” so “we can’t lose sight of our deep faith by some how or another diminishing the value of Christmas.”

The main threat to Christmas, Brown contents, is the use of the term “happy holidays” rather than an emphasis on “Christ and Christmas.” In an interview with Fox Business last week, Brown lashed out at the use of “happy holidays”:

BROWN: We forget the real meaning of Christmas by using “happy holidays” or “joy to the seasons” or some other word rather than “Merry Christmas.” [...]

Every year, more and more people are shying away from “Merry Christmas” and using “happy holidays” or some other means of expressing this special time for us.

Found both links at PZ's.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  15:22:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a second. Why does it have to be "Merry Christmas?" I think it should be "Happy Hanuka"!!! And then we should wait a respectable few days before allowing "Happy New Year" to be the greeting of choice.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  19:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Yule to everyone but those 75 nut-jobs!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  02:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
of hippocratic, political maneuverings,
I don't really want to be picky here, but aren't "hippocratic" and "political" defacto mutually exclusive?
(though I think ideally they should be the same)

I can't imagine even regular republicans being positive toward legislating forced religious celebration like that. Can someone who understand American culture please explain to me how these morons keep get elected, when they only represent a fringe religious group and work against religious freedom that I thought was held in so high regard in America...?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  04:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I don't really want to be picky here, but aren't "hippocratic" and "political" defacto mutually exclusive?

I can't imagine even regular republicans being positive toward legislating forced religious celebration like that. Can someone who understand American culture please explain to me how these morons keep get elected, when they only represent a fringe religious group and work against religious freedom that I thought was held in so high regard in America...?

It's just nonsense tossed out by what are essentially teabaggers with neckties. It means nothing and they know it, but it makes them look good to the FOX-watching numskulls who voted for them. It's good for a laugh, but the downside is that bullshit like this costs Congress, and by extension everyone else, time that would be better spent on other legislation. And the even downer side of it is that these are the ones who commonly wrap themselves in the flag and shriek of "patriotism," knowing full well what the refuge of a scoundrel is. Sadly, the numskulls they are trying and succeeding to impress do not, and will likely return their sorry ass' to office next year.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  08:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure he meant "hypocritical."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  09:01:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's exactly what I meant but wound up with my spell-checkers translation.

Note to self: check the checker!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  12:04:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Mabuse.....

The mechanism is pretty simple and pretty flawed but it works something like this:

In the more primitive and backward regions of the US, the Republican Party is dominant. And in the the more rural and isolated parts of these basically Republican regions, the really crazy "wingnuts" of the Republicans are strongly concentrated, largely because of the abysmally low educational level that prevails in the rural southern states of the US.

These redneck sub-literates overwhelmingly saturate several congressional districts, and will repeatedly vote for the most ultraconservative knuckle-dragging reactionary Republican that is running for office.

Representative Henry Brown is the US House of Representatives member from District One in South Carolina. Although District One is probably not the most reactionary district in South Carolina, the whole state is so redneck Republican that it doesn't matter!

Someday, when we can eliminate the electoral college and insulate geographical districting from crooked politics, we will begin to approximate a true democratic process in our national elections. What we need to achieve those goals is a much higher educational level in many of our more backward states. It is indeed a flawed system, Mab, but it's the best we have for now!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  12:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.

That's exactly what I meant but wound up with my spell-checkers translation.

I used it as a vehicle to express my opinion that politicians should (like doctors) cure the nation from social ills by means of politics, and like doctors do so with a hippocratic oath in mind.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.