Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  12:06:30  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Authorities are afraid that the death toll from the Haitian earthquake could reach into the hundreds of thousands. Obviously most of us aren't in a position to offer direct assistance, but there are a number of very easy ways to contribute.

The Daily Beast has posted an article identifying a number of NGOs working to provide relief. In particular, anyone with an SMS-capable cell phone can donate $10 to the International Red Cross Relief Fund by simply texting 'HAITI' (minus the quotes) to 90999. This and other avenues are detailed here.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  12:53:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hal I have donated $100.00 to Doctors without Borders Haiti Relief cause.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  13:03:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, Hal and bngbuck.

Meanwhile, the execrable Pat Robertson is blaming the quake on the Haitians for making a deal with Satan to throw off their French masters (he doesn't mention the slavery thing), while using the catastrophe to raise money for his own missionaries.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  13:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, I'll give through a local church that always that passes the hat for disasters. Nice folks.

'Mooner, that's just Robertson being his normal, pustulent self. It's how he got so rich; feeding from the blood and the gelt of others. What a pity that this pious parasite out-lived Falwell.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  13:54:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robertson:

Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon III and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so the devil said Ok its a deal, and they kicked the French out, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other, desperately poor. That island of Hispaniola is one island cut down the middle - on one side is Haiti, on the other side is the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. and Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. They need to have, and we need to pray for them a great turning to god, and out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come, but right now we're helping the suffering people and the suffering is unimaginable.

Napoleon III?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Robertson:

Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon III and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so the devil said Ok its a deal, and they kicked the French out, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other, desperately poor. That island of Hispaniola is one island cut down the middle - on one side is Haiti, on the other side is the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. and Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. They need to have, and we need to pray for them a great turning to god, and out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come, but right now we're helping the suffering people and the suffering is unimaginable.

Napoleon III?
I'm not even sure what Pat's arguing. He says the Haitians were enslaved but god wouldn't help them so they turned to the devil. But their revolt worked so I guess the devil succeeding in helping these people where god failed. But now the Haitians are cursed--by god, I must assume--for refusing to accept their god-ordained role as slaves. That 300 years of slavery must have just been a test of faith. And now, with this latest tragedy, Robertson actually thinks Haitians will turn to god after all of that? Tell me, if Yahweh just slaughtered most of the inhabitants of your island with an earthquake, are you going to feel like running into his sweet embrace? Is Pat out of his fucking mind?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/13/2010 16:39:50
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  17:19:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H. Humbert.....

Is Pat out of his fucking mind?
Pat Robertson? No, not Pat Robertson, the utterly irrational religious retard who speaks to God hourly and reports it on his fucking radio network 500 Club daily. Not Pat, who publicly asks that God destroy all homosexuals, Pat who asks God to kill liberal Supreme Court judges, Pat who asks for the nuclear destruction of Washington D.C. ("Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up") That Pat Robertson out of his alleged mind? No, no, of course not!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  18:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pat is only showing he can still defecate in all directions.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  18:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some video.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  18:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Napoleon III?
Good question. Napoleon III wasn't even born until about four years after Haiti gained independence from France.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  10:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CBN's response

On today’s The 700 Club, during a segment about the devastation, suffering and humanitarian effort that is needed in Haiti, Dr. Robertson also spoke about Haiti’s history. His comments were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Boukman Dutty at Bois Caiman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. This history, combined with the horrible state of the country, has led countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed. Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear...

blah blah blah

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  15:15:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

CBN's response

On today’s The 700 Club, during a segment about the devastation, suffering and humanitarian effort that is needed in Haiti, Dr. Robertson also spoke about Haiti’s history. His comments were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Boukman Dutty at Bois Caiman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. This history, combined with the horrible state of the country, has led countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed. Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear...

blah blah blah

I almost had to do a double-take on
this
, until I read the last line.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  22:12:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raymond Joseph, the Haitian Ambassador to the U.S., opened his interview on Rachel Maddow with this:

...I think before I say anything, I would like to address one thing that I heard tonight....about how the "pact with the devil" made it possible for Haiti to suffer the way it is. I would like you, the whole world to know, America, especially, that the independence of Haiti, when the slave rose up against the French and defeated the French army, powerful army, the U.S. was able to gain the Louisiana territory for $15 million. That‘s 3 cents an acre. That‘s 13 states west of the Mississippi that the Haitian slaves' revolt in Haiti provided America.

Also, the revolt of the rebels in Haiti allowed Latin America to be free. It‘s from Haiti that Simon Bolivar left with men and boats to go and deliver Gran Colombia and the rest of South America.

So, what "pact" the Haitian "made with the devil" has helped the United States become what it is.

(emphasis and quotes mine)

video here: http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/rachel-maddow-show-haitian-ambassador-sham

A brief video history of Haiti can be found if you click on "playlist" in the msnbc player and select "Jan. 13: Haiti's proud history".

There is also a list of organizations accepting donations at the show's site:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34834553/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show
Edited by - podcat on 01/14/2010 22:14:08
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  09:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5 times, I'll see if it works

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  18:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read that the Doctors with Borders lost all three of their hospitals to the quake in Haiti. Eeeep! What a crushing tragedy, no pun intended. Very very sad. :(
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  18:33:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I read that the Doctors with Borders lost all three of their hospitals to the quake in Haiti. Eeeep! What a crushing tragedy, no pun intended. Very very sad. :(

*WITHOUT Borders. I can no longer edit or delete my messages. Why?
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 02/24/2010 21:16:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.