Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  06:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Bill scott

such as hurricanes (which are pegged to AGW).

What part of "warm ocean surface waters fuel hurricanes" don't you understand, Bill?

What does that have to do with AGW? How was the hurricane activity this year?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  06:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by bngbuck

Bill scott.....

What was your Christian contribution to Haiti relief, Bill?

What is your atheistic contribution to any or all human relief efforts over, say, the last five years? What about your personal volunteer time?
So, you gave nothing, huh?

To hatian relief or in general?

What is your atheistic contribution to any or all human relief efforts over, say, the last five years? What about your personal volunteer time?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  09:00:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atheists sending aid to Haiti. There's a lot of them and adding in those of us not affiliated with any organization the numbers are quite high.

Non-Believers Giving Aid
Category: Godlessness
Posted on: January 16, 2010 8:52 PM, by PZ Myers

If you haven't already donated to disaster relief in Haiti, here's your chance: a new umbrella organization to coordinate charitable giving for the godless has been set up. In the first two hours that this was created, over $11,000 has been donated. Get on the bandwagon!

Non-Believers Giving Aid: a religion-free way to help disaster victims

Washington, DC January 17, 2010

In response to the tragedy in Haiti, several organizations representing 'non-believers' and others have set up a disaster relief fund called 'Non-Believers Giving Aid'. In an appeal for donations, the website of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science states (http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net/):

Spurred by the horrific suffering in Haiti, the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS) has set up a dedicated bank account and PayPal facility to collect donations to non-religious relief organizations. This new account is in the new name of Non-Believers Giving Aid, with all of the money donated being distributed to disaster relief.

Clearly the immediate need is for the suffering people of Haiti, and all the money raised by this current appeal will go that cause, but the new account will remain available for future emergencies too. There are, of course, many ways for you to donate to relief organizations already, but doing it through Non-Believers Giving Aid offers a number of advantages:

100% of your donation will be go to these charities: not even the PayPal fees will be deducted from your donation, since Richard will personally donate a sum to cover the cost of these (Capped at $10,000). This means that more of your money will reach the people in need.

When donating via Non-Believers Giving Aid, you are helping to counter the scandalous myth that only the religious care about their fellow-humans.

It goes without saying that your donations will only be passed on to aid organizations that do not have religious affiliations. In the case of Haiti, the two organizations we have chosen are:

Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans Frontières)

International Red Cross

You may stipulate using a dropdown menu which of these two organizations you want your donation to go to; otherwise, it will be divided equally between them.

Here's s list of some of the private organizations supporting it.
Non-Believers Giving Aid
http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net

The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science is a 501(c)(3).
www.RichardDawkinsFoundation.org
www.RichardDawkins.net

Mailing Address: 11605 Meridian Market View, Unit 124 PMB 381, Falcon CO 80831

Photo downloads: http://richarddawkins.net/media

Contacts for participating organizations

Atheist Alliance International
http://www.atheistalliance.org/
Contact: Stuart Bechman, President email: president@atheistalliance.org
Tel: +01-866-HERETIC.

Atheists United
http://www.atheistsunited.org/
Contact: Bobbie Kirkhart, President email:e-mail president@atheistsunited.org
Tel: 323-229-5500.

The British Humanist Association
http://www.humanism.org.uk
Contact: Andrew Copson, Chief Executive email: andrew@humanism.org.uk
Tel: 020 7079 3584 or 07534 248596.

James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org
Tel: 954-467-1112
Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF)
http://www.maaf.info
Tel: 614-329-1776

Pharyngula
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/
Tel: 320 589-7116

The Reason Project
http://www.reasonproject.org/

The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
http://www.RichardDawkinsFoundation.org & www.RichardDawkins.net
Contact: Liz Cornwell, Executive Director email: rec@RichardDawkins.net
Tel: 719.351.6324

The Skeptics Society
http://www.skeptic.com/
Contact: Michael Shermer, Founder email: mshermer@skeptic.com
Tel: 626/794-3119

For information on the Disaster Relief Agencies:

Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans Frontières)
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

International Red Cross
http://www.icrc.org/ome of the private outfits sn dupport og the project:
Dig deep, you godless bastards. The Haitians are beyond desperate!

And let us hear no more of how only the inspired by some god or other can be generous. We don't need outside inspiration from from a doubtful supernatural.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  09:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by bngbuck

Bill scott.....

What was your Christian contribution to Haiti relief, Bill?

So, you gave nothing, huh?

To hatian relief or in general?

No, I won't answer until you do. That's how it works: You were asked first. But never mind. It's clear you don't give to dark strangers, even when a catastrophe like the Haitian quake hits.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  09:15:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, the old 'xtians are the only ones that have morals' argument.

Just speaking for myself....
I've been an Atheist all of my 56 years and have been helping grannies cross the street my entire life. Imagine that!

Also volunteered 17 years for Special Olympics, including a Big Brother/Sister program throughout the calender years. But honestly, Atheism had nothing to do with it since Special Olympics is secular.

Have donated a few thousand dollars to Am. Red Cross, Am. Cancer Society, etc over the years. Also did 12 years with my troubled nephew in the Scouts program. He has turned out just fine now as a young adult. Took lots of patience and proper guidance. (probably helped too that he grew out of it.)

Yes, I was a stealth Atheist in BSA...oh my dog! So have been many others. At the wrapping up with my BSA involvement, I received one of their high honors for years of volunteer work.
BSA certainly isn't perfect in my book since ALL kids could benefit from most of their program.

Why would I an Atheist want to do this?...I dunno...maybe it helps me feel good/human.

One can actually be driven by a sense of community/empathy/just wanting to help humankind in some way. I see no need to wave an Atheist flag or drag along and inflict a belief system of space-daddies/myths/primitive legends.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  09:23:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks filthy for the list.
Here's a few more from the good guys at the Austin Atheist Community....

http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  10:34:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for that, Hal and bngbuck.

Meanwhile, the execrable Pat Robertson is blaming the quake on the Haitians for making a deal with Satan to throw off their French masters (he doesn't mention the slavery thing), while using the catastrophe to raise money for his own missionaries.

Funny thing Halfmooner, guess what that Haitian uprising (idiot Robertson's "pack with the devil" claim) led to....
The Louisiana Purchase.

From Wiki...

"Napoleon had failed to re-enslave Haiti; he therefore abandoned his plans to rebuild France's New World empire. Without revenues from sugar colonies in the Caribbean, Louisiana had little value to him. On April 10, 1803 Napoleon told Treasury minister Barbé-Marbois that he was considering selling the whole Louisiana Territory to the U.S.. On April 11, 1803, just days before Monroe's arrival, Barbé-Marbois offered Livingston all of Louisiana instead of just New Orleans, at a price of $15 million, equivalent to about $213 million in present day terms."

The irony meter, once again, goes off scale.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  12:47:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pat Robertson to the rescue! Haiti is saved -- well, a little of it, anyway. And how sweet is this:
Pat Robertson voodoo doll - proceeds to Haiti relief
by Chris in Paris on 1/17/2010 12:37:00 PM

This ought to really make Pat's day. One hundred percent of the sale prices will go to the Haiti relief charity.

Finally! What you've all been asking for! A one of a kind, handmade PAT ROBERSTON VOODOO DOLL.

After an exclusive deal with devil, we are finally able to bring black magic into your very own home! The lucky winner of this auction will attain the soul of Televangelist PAT ROBERTSON in a handheld figurine comprised of the finest straw, cloth, and other organic natural materials!

Ever wanted to cause Pat Robertson a massive headache? give him back pain? jab him in the crotch? Of course you have! Well then BID NOW to own your very own physical representation of the dark, dark soul of Pat Robertson.

Accessories included with the doll are Pat's very own "HOLY" BIBLE and BAG OF MONEY taken from real Americans! WOW!

Needless to say, I want one! I'd stab it with rusty fishhooks and and cheap, plastic tableware from Mickey D's. Oh, what fun, and all in the best of causes.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  13:01:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Oh, the old 'xtians are the only ones that have morals' argument.

Just speaking for myself....
Now that someone other than HalfMooner have given their go, I see no reason to up the pressure on Bill.

Over the last 5 years, I've donated around 3000$ (cash, by regular monthly donations), not counting the value of donated clothes, foods, furnitures and other household articles given to local relief organizations for distribution or sale.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  13:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMFG, this is all Haiti needs! Baby Bush will be there to see that the relief money is spent wisely!
Why does this not make me feel any better? And now we're going to get to see The Shrub as Molly Ivins nicknamed him on Meet the Press. Oh goodie. I don't want to disparage the relief organizations being touted, but putting Bush out there to "make sure the money is spent wisely" is the last thing I want to hear. You and Cheney going to get Haliburton down there for us George? Word is they're already "protecting" one of our media outlets down there. I'd love to know which one.

Our own web master and computer guru extraordinaire Jamie at Intoxination has a fundraiser going at his blog if you'd like to donate to MercyCorps. I welcome anyone else who has a charity they'd like to recommend to help the people of Haiti to add their links in the comments section.

Back to the subject of Bush and being subjected to hearing him speak again. I already posted Harold Ford Jr.'s nauseating response to listening to W's little speech today. Thanks Harold for making me almost as ill as I felt after hearing him talk with your fawning over him. Back when this clown was still running the country, or pretending to when it was probably actually Darth Cheney operating from his secret bunker calling the shots, I used to play a little game with some of my conservative co-workers.

Yeah, George, you pigfucker, like you so wisely cleaned out the treasury and then deficit spent the country almost to the point of bankruptcy. Haiti has enough on it's plate without compounding the mess with this sorry, ignorant little popinjay.

What the hell is Obama thinking, to let this rat bastard anywhere near anything that requires honesty and competence.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  14:14:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill scott.....

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer your question as it pertains to myself:
I had not given any personal volunteer time until 2000 because I was too busy making or trying to make money. In 2000, I became a volunteer for Homes for the Homeless in Colorado, where I was living at the time. From 2000 to 2003 I contributed about 20 hours per week to volunteer activity finding and providing help to homeless persons and families in the Denver area.
During that time I personally contributed over $10000 to the charity that I was working for in addition to the volunteer time that I gave.

Since 2003, and moving to the resort area of Coeur D'Alene Idaho, I have only worked about 10 to 15 hours a month in volunteer work for homeless people - the need here is enormously smaller than it was in Denver. However, I have continued to contribute to the best of my ability to this worthy cause - a total of about $4000 to date since moving to Idaho. I lost a large amount of money due to the stock market crash and I have not been able to maintain the contribution level that I have maintained in the past.

I am an atheist.
I have contributed over 4000 hours and $15000 to human relief efforts over the past ten years.

You are a Christian.
What is your contribution record to human relief causes over the past ten years, Bill?

What has been your Christian volunteer activity and monetary contribution to human rights causes in the past ten years, Bill?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  18:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is everyone done measuring their charity penises, yet? I'm sure you all know that Bill scott isn't going to share the length of his tool, regardless of how well endowed he is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  18:57:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the lack thereof.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  19:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is everyone done measuring their charity penises, yet?
Nope, there are some we haven't heard from.

As far as I'm concerned, it's far better to have a charity penis of any length than to just be an unadorned dick!
Edited by - bngbuck on 01/17/2010 19:53:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  20:52:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Or the lack thereof.
I've got no doubt that Bill has done some charitable giving. After all, his magic sky daddy says that he should. I just find the who-is-holier-than-whom thing to be rather ridiculous. And because charity work can be deeply personal, and because some people simply can't "dig deeper" when an emergency arises, I find requests to demonstrate such activity to be offensive.

Sure, Bill may have come into this thread with patently ludicrous stuff about Danny Glover, but he didn't say that Haiti relief isn't a worthwhile cause, nor did he criticize or even ask about anyone else's charitable giving. A different idiot started that crap, in what looks to be nothing more nor less than a "I bet my penis is bigger than yours" childish challenge, a hypothesis supported by his later whipping it out and showing the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill scott were just pointing and laughing. I know I am.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.