Atheism and Education
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  12:20:47  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a link between education and atheism and what is that link?

What statistics or studies have been done on this?

I've tried googling but was unable to find very much of significance.

I think it would be intuitive for rising education to corrode one's religion, but maybe I'm assuming too much?

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  12:46:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baxter......

Try this link

It's a good start and gives many suggested source materials on this subject.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  13:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

The most notable thing I found on that page was this: "In the US, according to raw data from the 2004 General Social Survey, those with graduate degrees were the least likely to believe in the afterlife or the Bible as the word of God, suggesting a link between religious belief and lower educational attainment."

I would think that there would be plenty of statistical data on this. Maybe some it isn't released because it's politically incorrect.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  13:37:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baxter....

This paper casts a little additional light upon the correlation between religiosity and educational attainment.

Apparently there has not been extensive sociological inquiry into the relationship between religiosity and educational attainment, particularly with reference to a possible correlation between degree of education and a position of atheism.

I have looked for statistical data in this area for source material and footnote reference, but so far have not had a lot of success.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  15:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have said a loss of religious belief, not necessarily atheism. I would be interested to know how education statistically affects religious belief in general.

This paper looks interesting, I wish I could access it:http://www.nber.org/papers/w8080

Edited by - Baxter on 01/13/2010 15:17:41
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  15:47:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baxter.....

JSTOR is accessable from many University libraries and a number of Public Libraries.

For more information about linking to JSTOR, e-mail support@jstor.org. You may have to use a little creative persuasion, but if you can claim any connection with an educational institution, academic research, or the like, you should be able to gain access to their data base and be able to download the entire article (plus an enormous amount of other research).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.