New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  18:55:23  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything pseudoscientists say they know about earthquakes is just another pseudoscience blunder. They know the effect, but have no idea about the cause because they can't see through the tons of rocks to watch an earthquake while it's happening.

All Seismographs can do, (the only technical tool pseudoscientists have) is record the vibrations. It most certainly cannot reveal the structure or the movement of the so-called plates, which may or may not even exist.

There's none so blind as those who won't see.

cantbe323

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  19:09:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google must be in on it too, doctoring Google maps to clearly show the mid ocean ridge! And don't even get me started on how they edited the so called "Ring of Fire".

They "claim" to be able to record the plates moving, inches every year. But if that were true, then tell me: where do they put the rulers?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/19/2010 19:14:11
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  20:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
>>

Great quote, but I don't see it as a fight or rationality, more like stating my case with observable common sense and letting the chips fall where they may. Skepticism is more about debunking the conventional things people have accepted as a way of life with conflicting metaphors, common sense, experience, and critical observation, not endless debate that goes nowhere.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  20:48:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

Everything pseudoscientists say they know about earthquakes is just another pseudoscience blunder. They know the effect, but have no idea about the cause because they can't see through the tons of rocks to watch an earthquake while it's happening.

All Seismographs can do, (the only technical tool pseudoscientists have) is record the vibrations. It most certainly cannot reveal the structure or the movement of the so-called plates, which may or may not even exist.

cantbe323

First, why call legitimate scientists "pseudoscientists"? Are you a tourist from the future who is acquainted with "real" scientists that put ours to shame? If not, that's just trash talk.

No, nobody but Superman can "see" with their eyes through the earth's crust and mantle. But there are ways of sensing indirectly. Jeeze, Louise, that's the case with so much we do in the 21st Century! Should pilots refuse to pay attention to collision alarms because they can't see approaching aircraft with their own eyes?

What's your point? You just hate science?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  21:48:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great quote... not endless debate that goes nowhere.

I see you have no response to my post.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  22:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All Seismographs can do, (the only technical tool pseudoscientists have)...
Well, this is simply a denial of reality.
You appear to be talking about yourself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  01:54:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Everything pseudoscientists say they know about earthquakes is just another pseudoscience blunder.
When you say "pseudoscientists" who are you talking about, more precicely.
I wouldn't trust a pseudoscientist either, I'd rather listen to geologists or planetologists about earthquakes.

Well, if psuedoscientists only use seismographs, then I wouldn't trust what they claims other than "There's been an earthquake". Geologists on the other hand have more tools than seismographs.

cantbe323
Indeed.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  04:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So ok, it's all "pseudo," then? Tectonic plate theory, the rise of mountain ranges; everything?

This reminds me of an argument I had with a young earth creationist some years back. He was on about eye witness testimony. According to him, it was impossible to know about the geological age of the earth because there was no one to see all of those things that the geologic record states, and radiometric dating is unreliable. Therefore the Biblical account of 6,000 years, give or take a couple, was true and anyone saying anything else is full of it.

Therefore, I must ask: if the scientific theories concerning earthquakes are incorrect, what then, cantbe323, is your take on the matter and how did you come to formulate it?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  06:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just a Troll people and one without a bridge we need to cross at that. You will see no legitimate attempts at defending his "positions" or rebuttals of your well worded replys.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  07:24:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

This is just a Troll people and one without a bridge we need to cross at that. You will see no legitimate attempts at defending his "positions" or rebuttals of your well worded replys.
Perhaps, perhaps. I'm still in the "benefit of the doubt" stage.

According to his profile, he's an engineer, although he doesn't stipulate what field of that worthy endeavor he's in. I'd be curious to know.

And I have a question: Was Darwin a "psuedoscientist?" Was Einstein? How 'bout Tesla?

Ok, that's 3 questions, but one answer should suffice.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  13:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, nobody but Superman can "see" with their eyes through the earth's crust and mantle. But there are ways of sensing indirectly. Jeeze, Louise, that's the case with so much we do in the 21st Century! >>

Actually, I classify deception two different ways. Those who have no harmful effect and those that do. Fortunately quake science is the former.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  14:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suprise! He failed to respond to any of the real points made and answered the rehtorical one literally with a Superman answer. Obvious Troll is obvious.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  14:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Suprise! He failed to respond to any of the real points made and answered the rehtorical one literally with a Superman answer. Obvious Troll is obvious.
But he's better than most trolls; he's posted 10 times! Not the usual single hit-and-run troll. I say he's a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  16:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, idiot troll alert.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  16:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody else can take him to task. Dennis Whasisface tired me out.

But I'd really like to know what his definition of "pseudo" is. It seems to me that someone, other than Jonathan Wells, et al., that spends all of those years learning and working in any scientific field can scarcely be called pseudo. All but a very few are smart, dedicated, very well educated, and work like dogs.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  04:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If plate tectonics is a fact, it's impossible to see how the shifting of one plate past, over or under another plate would not result in earthquakes.

And if anyone doubts plate tectonics, I am willing to take them on a little tour.

Just blocks from where I live is the Hayward Fault, running roughly north-south along the western foot of the East Bay range of hills. The west side of this fault has been slowly slipping northward in relation to the east side. In numerous places, creeks are offset by a considerable distance as they try to run downhill toward the west. They run westward until they reach the Hayward Fault, then run northward along the fault, then turn westward again. The offsets are marked by the span of each creek along the fault.

Anyone living in California would have to be an idiot not to accept basic plate tectonic theory as factual.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.