Interesting study needing participants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  12:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently received an email about an interesting study. The Web site's intro reads, in part:
Experiment on individual differences and pattern detection

We are looking for people who believe OR disbelieve in paranormal phenomena (see definitions) to participate in this study, which seeks to explore individual differences behind the tendencies to see patterns and pictures in visual noise and hear sounds and words amid auditory noise (there may or may not be a pattern present and where there is a pattern, this may be a weak stimulus or an ESP stimulus).

Insights gained from this study will extend our current understanding about the way in which people are able to perceive weak signals (including ESP and weak signals) within both visual and auditory noise and the processes involved in creativity.
Sounds interesting, at least. I wish I were closer to the study centers.

Isn't Durham, NC, sort of in your neck of the woods, filthy?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  18:56:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, though my hunch is that perceptions won't be different but interperetations will be. Like, I sometimes see weird stuff when I first wake up in the morning: total strangers standing in my bedroom, giant spiders crawling on my walls, squirrels leaping around, and other oddities; yet I simply interperet these events as my brain was still partially asleep. When I tell this to woo people, they immediately leap to the conclusion that there are spirits and/or I have a special "gift". Oy vey!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  20:39:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thor.....

I sometimes see weird stuff when I first wake up in the morning: total strangers standing in my bedroom, giant spiders crawling on my walls, squirrels leaping around, and other oddities
Thor, what do you usually have as a nightcap?
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  22:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, bngbuck, it's just hynagogia, a well-known phenomena. I've gotten used to the giant spiders and watch them with interest as they silently sputter out of existence, but I still literally scream when I find those strangers standing there. Gaaaah!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  08:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I recently received an email about an interesting study. The Web site's intro reads, in part:
Experiment on individual differences and pattern detection

We are looking for people who believe OR disbelieve in paranormal phenomena (see definitions) to participate in this study, which seeks to explore individual differences behind the tendencies to see patterns and pictures in visual noise and hear sounds and words amid auditory noise (there may or may not be a pattern present and where there is a pattern, this may be a weak stimulus or an ESP stimulus).

Insights gained from this study will extend our current understanding about the way in which people are able to perceive weak signals (including ESP and weak signals) within both visual and auditory noise and the processes involved in creativity.
Sounds interesting, at least. I wish I were closer to the study centers.

Isn't Durham, NC, sort of in your neck of the woods, filthy?
It's some thirty miles south of me, and a town I dearly loath. Unfortunately, the VA hospital is located there, so I can't entirely avoid it.

I'm not sure this is something I want to get involved in, as it looks like educated woo to me. Besides these things have been done in one form or another since the '50s and probably earlier.

I'll give it some thought, though; might be interesting.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:19:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the references to ESP puzzling. They really do mean extrasensory perception.

I have participated in similar studies on pattern recognition before, though. It is genuinely interesting stuff, although the experiments aren't always that interesting to participate in.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.