Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  04:15:04  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By bullshit I mean the nonsense democrats are pulling out of their collective asses in congress.

Republicans had 50 votes (with Dick to break ties) and they did what the fuck ever they wanted.

Democrats had 60 (if you count that useless piece of shit Lieberman), and they couldn't get a health-care bill through, say nothing of the public option or single payer system, despite overwhelming public support for it.

Now, since they nude model teabagger won in MA, the dems still have 59 (well, 58, piece of shit Lieberman can go fuck himself), and suddenly democrats all over are walking back on important issues.

I've heard Dodd pull back on legislation for consumer protection. I've heard a bunch of democrats say that the health-care bill was "too ambitious".

I've heard some of the fake dems (the ones who ran as dems just to get elected but are really republicans or worse) now propose that vital parts of upcoming climate legislation (like calling CO2/Methane/Nitrogen greenhouse gasses and allowing the EPA to regulate them) be removed.

GITMO is still open. We have escalated a bullshit war in Afghanistan. We still have troops in Iraq. Don't Ask Don't Tell is still the law. No Wall Street company or exec has been charged with a crime related to the near collapse of the world economy.

No real investigation into the rendition and torture of prisoners has been conducted. No effort has been made to repeal any of the domestic spying programs put into place under Bush. No one has been held accountable.

I'm 40 years old. I've been an voter since I was 18, never missed even a local election. I've always paid attention to politics, I write letters (email and sometimes even paper letters still) to my state and national elected officials. I have given money to specific political campaigns when I liked what the person had to say.

When I say I'm done, I mean I'm done voting. The dems will probably cling to a small majority this year, and if something doesn't change in dem politics they will lose it all in 2012. I simply no longer care. If they can't get anything done about the most important issues we face, with sixty fucking votes and a dem president, then they are no longer worth my time.

If they can't get their heads out of their asses and at least compete with republicans in the political spin game, then they really deserve to lose. I mean, seriously, how the fuck can you lose the media spin game vs people who advocate the use of torture?

So right now I'm done. Finished. Over it. I'm just one vote, but the dems are going to have to do without mine for now.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  07:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude
If they can't get their heads out of their asses and at least compete with republicans in the political spin game, then they really deserve to lose.

What did they lose? Obama's a Wall Street thug. He won.

Now, if the few so-called progressives in the Democratic Party lost something, then they need to get out, as has been suggested. Otherwise, they're just thugs like Obama.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  10:49:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the impression in your post dude that your a little upset but don't hold back, what do you really think?
You catch what the supreme court did recently? In reference to corporations?
Have no doubt that there are people with 100's of millions, even billions of dollars in assets ( yes they are out there) that want you to shut up and go away. After reading your post you haven't shut up but you have stated you will go away. I guess with that kind of money, they get what they want. With their money they control many media outlets ranging from radio, TV stations, cable channels, news papers, magazines, what have you. Now they got you out of the way, who's next? I have felt the same way you do. When it comes down to it I've decided I will shut up but not go away. I no longer get involved (bother) debating or even talk with the likes of the Bill Scott's that are out there on here, as there are better ways to spend my minutes. I will keep voting whenever I can.
Here is another Bill Scott that would jump with joy, if he read your post. When you don't vote, you truly have no voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNl6-j9x5w
SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:20:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At some point, I think voting just validates a corrupt system. I'm not sure that there is no point in voting, but we're close to it.

Not voting does not mean going away. Voting is a small part of democracy. We don't have many other avenues left in this country, but it's not the whole thing. Talking amongst ourselves, educating ourselves, etc., is part of it. Bill Scott may not learn, Dude may not learn, I may not learn, but others will.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I get the impression in your post dude that your a little upset but don't hold back, what do you really think?
You catch what the supreme court did recently? In reference to corporations?
Have no doubt that there are people with 100's of millions, even billions of dollars in assets ( yes they are out there) that want you to shut up and go away. After reading your post you haven't shut up but you have stated you will go away. I guess with that kind of money, they get what they want. With their money they control many media outlets ranging from radio, TV stations, cable channels, news papers, magazines, what have you. Now they got you out of the way, who's next? I have felt the same way you do. When it comes down to it I've decided I will shut up but not go away. I no longer get involved (bother) debating or even talk with the likes of the Bill Scott's that are out there on here, as there are better ways to spend my minutes. I will keep voting whenever I can.
Here is another Bill Scott that would jump with joy, if he read your post. When you don't vote, you truly have no voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNl6-j9x5w
SS

The thing is, that when your party has the presidency, a large majority in the House, and 60 votes in the Senate... if you don't accomplish your goals it means you never intended to accomplish those goals. The democrats have shown their true colors and those colors are so vastly different from how they represented themselves in 2008... I was pretty confident that Obama was a corpratist/centrist democrat, but I was apparently mistaken that he was actually a left leaning politician (at least with regard to the issues I think are critical, environment, healthcare, the rule of law, conducting wars).

The House and Senate are so disfunctional.... There are maybe two people in the whole place who are not sellouts to some lobbyist. As for the SCOTUS ruling... All that does is make it so corps don't have to hide their political involvement now. They can do it in the open. I'm just waiting for a senator to show up to work wearing a Pfizer patch on the back of his Italian suit, NASCAR CONGRESS.

I don't care if Bill Scott jumps for joy if I don't vote. Maybe what the US really needs is a Palin presidency with a teabagger congress. There is no explanation or excuse for failing to pass real healthcare reform. There is no explanation or excuse for not being able to silence and humiliate anyone who advocates the torture of another human being. There is no explanation or excuse why we have held not even a single person to account for the blatant crimes of the previous administration. And so on.

If the dems can't/won't do those things when they have the Presidency and a large majority in both chambers of Congress... then I'm never giving one of the dirty pigfucking sellouts my vote ever again.

Done voting.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

If they can't get their heads out of their asses and at least compete with republicans in the political spin game, then they really deserve to lose.

What did they lose? Obama's a Wall Street thug. He won.

Now, if the few so-called progressives in the Democratic Party lost something, then they need to get out, as has been suggested. Otherwise, they're just thugs like Obama.

Gorgo, you are as incomprehensible as ever.

They lost an election in MA, and my reference about them losing is for future elections. They deserve to lose future elections.

I'm not sure how you failed to grasp that from the context of my post.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

I know we go way back on opposite sides of the fence, but listen for a minute. I couldn't agree more with much of what you say in the above post. Obama's not only dropped the ball, he's never really got his hands on it. The "Blue Dogs" and Lilyliverman have put on the most disgusting public demonstration of venal self-interest ever witnessed in American Politics. Pelosi and Reid are performing their jobs like bumbling amateurs which apparently they are. And the fucking Limbaughs, Becks and O'Reillys of the media world are winning the hearts and minds of our moronic body politic according to most of the polls. In short, things are in the shitter.

But I'm with sailingsoul 100% in his take on this.

Dude, do you really think that the current situation is worse than Cheney/Bush was? We were knee deep in facist feces just a few years ago, and sinking fast!

You say you're not going to vote any more. Tiny as it is, that vote is the only real political voice that you and most ordinary citizens have. There appear to be millions more like you on the left. If this trend plays out in the fall elections, liberals will be conceding the country back to corporate and military control by default.

We WILL quickly get Mussolini's "corporate state", a melding of unrestrained capitalistic greed with one-party rule coupled with aggressive militarism. The rancid cherry on the top of this fecal sundae is Christian Fundamentalism - sure to become the state religion.

Dude, if you won't vote, you might as well give up your citizenship and move. In a few years you really won't want to live in this country if the bought-and-paid-for Republicans and Blue Sonofabitch Democrats win this fall. Nor will I.

It's becoming obvious that Obama hasn't got the balls or the brawn to rise above the quicksand of sewage that is the Washington establishment. Limbaugh, Rove, Cheney and even that insane clown Beck are garnering an ever-larger audience and Independents are more and more buying their bullshit!

If they win the Congress in the fall, Obama will be forced to veto damn near every bill that comes to his desk. Some of the lobbyist-written legislation will get a 2/3 majority on rerun and become law. And piece by piece, Big Money will really become Big Government - specifically, the Government of the United States - bought and paid for with corporate dollars!

The only real power that you and I and anyone without a public pulpit have is our tiny little vote. Use it, or you really will lose it eventually!

DON'T VOTE FOR OBAMA, VOTE AGAINST THE REPUBLICANS AND BLUE DOG GOAT-FUCKER DEMOCRATS!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:30:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how you failed to grasp that from the context of my post.

Yes, I read it at work and misunderstood what you're saying, but Wall Street won. Who cares if Wall Street won in MA with a Republican or a Democrat. We lose no matter who wins, not them.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 01/28/2010 12:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  13:30:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

The only real power that you and I and anyone without a public pulpit have is our tiny little vote. Use it, or you really will lose it eventually!

There's just very little evidence of that. We have little say in who runs, especially in the national contests, and money rules. Obama showed who he works for, as did Clinton. There is a difference between (R) and {D}, but if we keep voting for them, then they just keep moving farther away from us and toward the money.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  14:46:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo.....

We have little say in who runs, especially in the national contests, and money rules. Obama showed who he works for, as did Clinton.
Well, if you register as party committed and vote in primaries, you have a small voice. If you work actively in your party of choice, you have some voice in who gets nominated.

There is no doubt that money rules, but a Democrat's money is just as good as a Republican's. I hate to broach what appears to be an eggshell subject here on SFN, but if you can give a few bucks to the party that you most agree with, it helps.

I don't agree that Obama has shown who he works for. Who is that and what is the primary factual evidence for the allegation?

I think that Obama has taken on far more than he has the ability to control. If his ability only matched his rhetoric, he would be one of the most exceptional presidents we have ever had.

Clinton was pretty much a personal failure and I really had issues with his judgment - what with the blowjobs in the White House and all; but as far as domestic policy was concerned, he was a damn good president. I'd give him a C- on foreign policy and he certainly was as corrupt a pol as most, but nothing even approaching Cheney/Bush

What few Americans realize is that the political system in the United States is a business! Virtually unbridled capitalism has inevitably created a situation in which the government has become a system in which power, control, and governance are commodities which are for sale and freely exchanged for sums of money.

It is an indivisable part of the "Free Enterprise System"

Anyway, it will take years for the corruption of the Cheney years to fade and although I agree that if in power for several terms, eventually a Democratic administration/Congress will become totally beholden to power and money interests; I just don't feel we dare just turn it over to the totally corrupt Republicans immediately following the attempted Cheney Fascism coup!

All I can see to do is vote against Republicans for the present, and when the elected Democrats become more odious, throw them out and head back toward oligarchy. I personally have changed parties four times in the twenty eight national elections in which I have voted.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  15:20:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng,

If the democrats can't(more like won't) do what needs to be done when they have what amounts to a supermajority, then they will never do those things. It is obvious it was never their intent to do them in the first place by now.

I'm no longer giving my vote as an "against" vote. My silence at the poll will be my vote, and it will be "against" republicans and democrats alike.

The dems will need to actually accomplish something before I vote for them again. If they don't, then I'll be glad to send them home this fall and the same for Obama in 2012.

Hell, if they continue to piss me off as bad as they are pissing me off right now, I'm going to go change from independent to republican and vote for Palin in the 2012 primary.

Of course, I'll have my Canadian visa in hand when I do it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  15:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the dems can't/won't do those things when they have the Presidency and a large majority in both chambers of Congress... then I'm never giving one of the dirty pigfucking sellouts my vote ever again.

Just make sure to tell your local democrats this.

Suppose they get their act together?
Unless they learn about the dissatisfaction among the grassroots, nothing will ever change.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  15:57:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've sent letters. Not that I expect them to be read, but I've sent them.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  17:39:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a start, Bill

* 71 percent of Americans think that taxes on corporations are too low (Gallup Poll, April 2007), 66 percent of Americans think taxes on upper-income people are too low (Gallup Poll, April 2007) and 62 percent believe corporations make too much profit (Pew Survey 2004).

* 77 percent of Americans think there is too much power concentrated in the hands of a few big companies (Pew Survey 2004), 84 percent think that big companies have too much power in Washington (Harris Poll 2007), and two-thirds think that "big business and big government work together against the people's interests" (Rasmussen Reports, 2009).

*A majority of American voters think that the United States' "most urgent moral question" is either "greed and materialism" (33 percent) or "poverty and economic injustice" (31 percent). Just 16 percent identify abortion and 12 percent pick gay marriage as the nation's "most urgent moral question" (Zogby, 2004). Thus, nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of the population think that injustice and inequality are the nation's leading "moral issues" (Katherine Adams and Charles Derber, The New Feminized Majority [Paradigm, 2008], p.72).

* Just 29 percent of Americans support the expansion of government spending on "defense." By contrast, 79 percent support increased spending on health care, 69 percent support increased spending on education, and 69 percent support increased spending on Social Security (Chicago Council on Foreign Relations (hereafter "CCFR"), "Global Views,"2004).

* 69 percent of Americans think it is the responsibility of the federal government to provide health coverage to all U.S. citizens (Gallup Poll, 2006) and 67 percent "think it's a good idea [for government] to guarantee health care for all U.S. citizens, as Canada and Britain do, with just 27 percent dissenting" (Business Week, 2005).

* 59 percent of Americans support a single-payer health insurance system (CBS/New York Times poll, January 2009) and 65 percent of Americans respond affirmatively to the following question: "Would you favor the government offering everyone a government-administered health insurance plan - something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and over get - that would compete with private health insurance plans?" (CBS-New York Times, September 23, 2009)

Edit by @tomic to fix formatting.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 01/28/2010 17:40:24
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  17:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What made that go screwy? The preview was okay.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  17:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the progressives in Congress:

It is time for any real progressives in House or Senate to admit the truth--that they are boxed in and effectively neutered by the Party leadership--and that if they really want to be defenders of the public interest and the progressive cause, they must give up their sinecures, cut themselves loose from the shackles of the Democratic Party, and form a new and independent national progressive party. They have a model: Bernie Sanders, the independent self-described socialist senator from Vermont. Of course, even Sanders is boxed in, given that he is alone in the Senate as an independent progressive , so that if he wants a committee assignment he has to agree to vote with the Democrats on the key issues of party control. But that is because there is nobody standing with him in the Senate.

This could change if the progressive caucus members of both houses were to quit the sell-out Democrats and form the nucleus of a new party, instead of just a caucus within the sclerotic and rancidly corrupt Democratic Party.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.