Stupidity, sheer stupidity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  06:18:52  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beloved children's book is banned in Texas.

I don't know which is more stupid, the simple name association or the admission by a board member that she hadn't even read it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Edited by - The Rat on 01/30/2010 07:48:28

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  06:37:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Beloved children's book is [url="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-books_25tex.ART.State.Edition1.4ba2046.html]banned in Texas.[/url]

I don't know which is more stupid, the simple name association or the admission by a board member that she hadn't even read it.
Ya blew the link, bro, but I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about. Stupid indeed, but that's the educational standards in TX.

Anne Frank's Diary was banned somewhere else -- forgot where -- because of a brief passage that mentioned vaginas.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  07:48:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fixed it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  07:51:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link doesn't work, that's true. What a great little challenge to fiddle with while awaiting mooner to post another geo-cryptic challenge. I can only imagine that creating one is as hard, if not harder than solving them. I approached this as a similar challenge. Shifting in puzzle mode I noticed several things, like the link was not blue, underlined and [ url ][ /url ]codes were visible, all are off from normal hyperlinks posted properly. What can cause that? The opening [ url ] was wrong. I also noticed a period at the end of the address and I've never noticed a period at the end of an address string before. Not that I read these as text, the're not require to be punctuated as text. I tried the link with those problems removed and got me to web site but not the article. then I searched for the article in their search window, with " texas school bans book". The link http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/012510dntexbooks.3e17c50.html

SS
[ url ][ /url ]

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  08:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you can see I failed at the final puzzle requirement. Coming in a few minutes late does not make you first. Note to self " type fast". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  13:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know which is more stupid, the simple name association or the admission by a board member that she hadn't even read it. >>

Protecting little children from reading things the'll learn about when they get older, is definitely non-productive. Another banned book case was the works of Dr. Wilhelm Reich, and when he tried to sell his orgone box, they put him in jail. I still have a copy of his "Listen Little Man."

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by The Rat

Beloved children's book is http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-books_25tex.ART.State.Edition1.4ba2046.html]banned in Texas.[/url]

Ya blew the link, bro, but I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about. Stupid indeed, but that's the educational standards in TX.

Anne Frank's Diary was banned somewhere else -- forgot where -- because of a brief passage that mentioned vaginas.

Found it:
Anne Frank's adolescent curiosity about sexuality is too much for a Virginia school district that has pulled the complete version of the young Jewish girl's diary off its curriculum and off its shelves over a parent's complaint about sexually explicit passages.

Culpeper County Public Schools has pulled Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition off the shelves because parents complained "over the sexual nature of the vagina passage in the definitive edition," reports the Culpeper, Virginia, Star-Exponent.

The complaint has to do specifically with an expanded version of the diary published in 1995. Frank's father, Otto, had excised large parts of his daughter's diary prior to publication in the late 1940s. Anne died of typhus while being held at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in March, 1945. Her diary has made her arguably the most famous Holocaust victim.

According to Valerie Strauss at the Washington Post, the offending passage is a description of female genitalia:

There are little folds of skin all over the place, you can hardly find it. The little hole underneath is so terribly small that I simply can't imagine how a man can get in there, let alone how a whole baby can get out!

Horrors! Adolescents shouldn't be allowed to even explore their bodies, let alone write about them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/30/2010 14:27:47
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:43:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anne Frank's Diary was banned somewhere else -- forgot where -- because of a brief passage that mentioned vaginas. >>

History Channel had a special about her plight, and they showed the actual rooms in detail. From what I could see... no toilet, tub or even a faucet, and yet all those people lived in that impossible envioronment for years.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  15:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One guy online suggested we call Virginia "Vaginia" or just "Vagina" becaus eof this. Their state motto would then become "Vagina is for lovers."

I wish I could claim credit for that.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  08:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from these clowns:
I'm not sure which is worse, that one of them didn't know a damn thing about Thomas Paine but felt competent to suggest his inclusion in the curriculum, or that the rest of them would likely not want Paine in the standards because he was a critic of Christianity and the validity of the Bible. Both are frightening.

What sane society allows people like this to write curriculum for anything other than a Sunday School class at the local fundie church?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.