Overdosing on homeopathic remedies?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  13:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overdosing on water

Oh hey. This is fun!

This from the NZ Skeptics:

A public mass overdose of homeopathic remedies has forced the New Zealand Council of Homeopaths to admit openly that their products do not contain any “material substances”. Council spokeswoman Mary Glaisyer admitted publicly that “there´s not one molecule of the original substance remaining” in the diluted remedies that form the basis of this multi-million-dollar industry.

Snip
The Christchurch “overdose” included an “underdose” – homeopaths believe that the more dilute things are, the more potent they become, so the skeptics were careful to try that approach. There are also claims by product manufacturers that, in fact, dosage doesn´t matter at all – whether you take 1 pill or 100 – but the important thing is the frequency of dosage, and the skeptics covered that base too. No ill effects were reported, apart from a distinct drop in the level of cash in various wallets. For the demonstration, Hyde reluctantly purchased two small boxes of tablets and a 25ml spray from a Unichem pharmacy, costing $51.95.

Water with a memory.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  16:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A public mass overdose of homeopathic remedies has forced the New Zealand Council of Homeopaths to admit openly that their products do not contain any ?material substances? >>

The actual healing effect of any homeopathic remedy can't be realistically assessed, because there are too many other variables involved, some they're not aware of.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  16:39:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

The actual healing effect of any homeopathic remedy can't be realistically assessed, because there are too many other variables involved, some they're not aware of.
Name one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  18:51:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

A public mass overdose of homeopathic remedies has forced the New Zealand Council of Homeopaths to admit openly that their products do not contain any ?material substances? >>

cantbe323

I get my underwear at K-Mart in Cincinatti, Ohio.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:21:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this rock that keeps tigers away.

I'll sell it for $1000.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 02/10/2010 19:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I'll sell it for $1000.
Does it work?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

I'll sell it for $1000.
Does it work?
Do you see any tigers around here?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  20:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual anti-tiger effect of the rock can't be realistically assessed, because there are too many other variables involved, some we're not aware of.

But I guarantee it - I have never seen a tiger any where near the rock! I accept paypal or money order.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  23:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pleco.....

Homeopathic payment of $1000 ($0.0000001) coming your way. Rock must be homeopathic for check to clear! Have BB gun for tiger if one shows up following installation of rock!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  01:27:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please allow 6 to 8 years for domestic delivery.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  10:36:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Pleco.....

Homeopathic payment of $1000 ($0.0000001) coming your way. Rock must be homeopathic for check to clear! Have BB gun for tiger if one shows up following installation of rock!
At 30X that would be more like $0.0000000000000000000000000001. Sign me up.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  10:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The actual anti-tiger effect of the rock can't be realistically assessed, because there are too many other variables involved, some we're not aware of.

But I guarantee it - I have never seen a tiger any where near the rock! I accept paypal or money order.

A laugh at lunch. Thanks.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  10:28:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/comics/dilbert

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  17:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/dilbert

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.