Cash4Gold
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  05:08:51  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suspicions, if not confirmed, at least strongly reinforced.

Almost everyone not living in a Mongolian yurt has seen toob commercials for this outfit, wherein they promise to buy your "scrap" jewelry for "top dollar." Well, caveat emptier! is the name of the game for dealing with them. Or with anybody who wants your stuff, comes to that.
Brand Week explains …

In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs claim that Cash4Gold’s “unlawful behavior can be distilled down to three specific frauds.”

First, according to court papers, Cash4Gold promises to provide the highest care for any goods sent to its facility, a promise asserted in two sections on the company’s Web site.

“However, this high degree of care is a lie, as items sent to Cash4Gold are commonly ‘lost,’” the suit alleges. “At best, this means that Cash4Gold is not exercising the high degree of care it has promised and is liable for negligence. At worst, this means that Cash4Gold is intentionally stealing the goods sent to it and is liable for conversion.”

The second alleged example of fraud outlined in the suit involves Cash4Gold’s 12-day return policy, which asserts that customers who are unsatisfied with the price offered to them for their gold jewelry may contact Cash4Gold and have their jewelry returned to them.

“However, this ‘return policy’ is a lie,” the lawsuit alleges. “Importantly, it is measured from the date on the check sent to consumers. Then Cash4Gold, as a matter of company policy or practice, routinely issues the checks, sets them aside, and mails them out days later so that customers do not receive their checks until after the 12-day return window has already passed . . . customers are simply unable to reject Cash4Gold’s offer or to have their jewelry returned to them. In fact, in many cases, Cash4Gold actually melts down jewelry before the ‘return period’ has even passed, since it knows that due to its mailing schedule, customers literally have no way to successfully exercise the ‘return policy.’”

Third, the suit states that “to support and disguise the two major frauds of stealing customers’ jewelry and completely fabricating the existence of a return policy, Cash4Gold utilizes a ‘customer service’ staff which is deliberately frustrating and openly lies to the company’s customers.”

The suit claims that Cash4Gold’s customer service representatives are specially trained in techniques designed to mislead consumers.

My bullshit detector went off the first time I saw one of these spiels, and it starts muttering about it every time I'm told what a swell deal they're offering for my gold -- of which I have none beyond a couple of tooth fillings. I've noticed that they slyly imply that your jewelry is crap that you might be better off rid of.

I'm delighted to see them being called out on it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  09:22:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have seen these commercials. I always think while viewing, seems like a very safe way to get cash for stolen goods and only the naive would use. Certainly not a method I would ever use. Sadly I don't expect anyone to do time or suffer any real penalty for this behavior. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  12:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy! Do you not realize your post proves that Cash4Gold works?!?

1. Find gold item, mail it in.
2. Receive rebate check 12 days after it was issued, so no refund may be awarded.
3. Call Cash4Gold, attempt to get a refund.
4. Sue.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  21:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just what do you think you're doing? If you shut down the gold buyers, you're taking away the only ad revenue the conservative radio show hosts have left!

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200912160012

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.