General Skepticism
 "Physicists" say: No Greenhouse Effect.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  04:22:23  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to this report anyway.

I'm suspicious since look who's picked this up.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on sites like "scienceblogs" and see what comes of this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  04:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just scanned it. Found this bit from the physical summary interesting:

There are no common physical laws between the warming phenomenon in glass houses and the fictitious atmospheric greenhouse eff ect, which explains the relevant physical phenomena. The terms "greenhouse eff ect" and "greenhouse gases" are deliberate misnomers.

In other words, this authors are clearly nuts.
It's not that they are incorrect in stating the above. The problem is that no climatologist I ever heard, or anyone working on climate or the greenhouse effect, ever pretends that the greenhouse effect works in the same way as a normal greenhouse. It's a straw man argument.

It gets worse from there. They basically categorically deny that CO2 has an effect on temperature on earth.

For those interested, a refutation is to be found here:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0802/0802.4324v1.pdf

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  06:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy shit, that was fast! Thanks. I was figuring that no rebuttal was even up yet, and you found it. Either you're good, or I'm lazy.

(shut UP, Mooner, !)

Anyway, I posted that link of yours there.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/07/2010 07:05:37
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  07:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Holy shit, that was fast! Thanks. I was figuring that no rebuttal was even up yet, and you found it. Either you're good, or I'm lazy.

(shut UP, Mooner, !)

I'm just that good

I'll have to dive in the article more deeply to actually make sense of the whole argument. In and of itself, the article seems quite garbled to me. However, it does tie in with some other claims I've seen bandied about recently on how CO2 can't have the forcing effect it is purposed to have and how Arrhenius got it all wrong.

At a more basic level, these arguments remind me of arguments on how evolution can't be true, because Darwin was wrong. The general rebuttal is the same, namely for the "skeptics" to get to the 21st century, just like the rest of the world.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  09:37:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lemmee drop just a dollop of poison that well.
Gerhard Gerlich and Ralf D. Tscheuschner: neither of these physicists has produced a single peer-reviewed paper bearing on any aspect of climate science, or even on the radiative physics underpinning climate science... Indeed, a look at the paper by anybody who has even a nodding acquaintance with radiation physics shows why they wouldn’t dare subject it to peer review. About 40 pages of this 90 page opus is in fact devoted to discussing the well-known flaws in the glass-greenhouse analogy sometimes used in simplified explanations of the phenomenon. These flaws have no bearing whatever on the manner in which the greenhouse effect is actually computed in climate models. The rest of the paper is simply bad physics; in fact, if they were right, not only would there be no anthropogenic greenhouse effect, there would be no greenhouse effect at all! They’ve "proved" too much! The Earth would be a solid ball of ice, and Venus would be 400 degrees colder than it is. — Raymond T. Pierrehumbert

Not definitive, of course, but something to keep in mind.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  09:59:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm going to be keeping an eye on sites like "scienceblogs" and see what comes of this.
The original paper was published over a year ago, so you might have better luck searching ScienceBlogs for the author's names.

Hmmm... It seems that the argument is even older than the paper you linked to, because this German paper (which allegedly is a line-by-line refutation of Gerlich and Tscheuschner's paper) was written in January, 2008. So when Tim Lambert called their argument "stupidity" almost a year ago, it had already been shown to be stupidity for quite a while.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:59:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh...shit. Looks like someone else has been doing research:

From a commentator on Vox's post that I had in the first link:

Idle Spectator: 3/6/10 7:14 PM:

And here's some more scientists tearing your cited Arthur P. Smith paper apart, and from the exact same archive too!

A refuting of the refutation.There by confirming the validity of original paper that Vox posted at the top.
Comments on the "Proof of Atmospheric Greenhouse Effect"

Round and round we go! Where will it stop? Nobody knows.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about using Google!

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/07/2010 11:15:35
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

(shut UP, Mooner, !)

Okay, no "forced dichotomy" comment.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  12:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A refuting of the refutation.There by confirming the validity of original paper that Vox posted at the top.
Comments on the "Proof of Atmospheric Greenhouse Effect"
Except that as we can see in his own writings (see down in the comments) that Gerhard Kramm is an apologist for G&H, and not providing any actual refutation of Smith's refutation of G&H.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  16:04:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some Google fruit on Gerhard Gerlick, lead author of the new denialist paper. From SourceWatch:
Gerlich was a member of the European Science and Environment Forum. The agenda of this group was to discredit government safety regulations and reports on such things as genetically-engineered bovine growth hormone, pesticides, public smoking, and global warming.
Yet another person in the scientific community who is whoring for dollars and/or euros, it appears.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.