The neverending story
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  20:27:09  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gee, a pedophile priest, whoda thunk it?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  20:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad they caught that one bad apple and cleared up any problems in Ireland. We'll hear no more accusations against churchmen there! Not with the anti-blasphemy law, we won't.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  05:12:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet he still walks the streets. It is likely that he will continue to do so in perfect freedom. Historically and today, the Catholic Church is a criminal organization that receives entirely unwarranted protection from a great many states. Islam; same deal except they are a little more honest and vicious about it.

Here's a Wiki on blasphemy laws world-wide.
[edit] Ireland
Main article: Blasphemy law in Ireland

In Ireland, blasphemy is prohibited by the constitution and carries a maximum fine of €25,000. A controversial law was passed on 9 July 2009 and went into effect on 1 January 2010.

And:
[edit] United Kingdom
Main article: Blasphemy law in the United Kingdom
Blasphemy laws in the United Kingdom were specific to blasphemy against Christianity. The last attempted prosecution under these laws was in 2007 when the fundamentalist group Christian Voice sought a private prosecution against the BBC over its broadcasting of the show Jerry Springer: The Opera (which includes a scene depicting Jesus, dressed as a baby, professing to be "a bit gay"). The charges were rejected by the City of Westminster magistrates court. Christian Voice applied to have this ruling overturned by the High Court, but the application was rejected. The court found that the common law blasphemy offences specifically did not apply to stage productions (s. 2(4) of the Theatres Act 1968) and broadcasts (s. 6 of the Broadcasting Act 1990).[52][53]

The last successful blasphemy prosecution (also a private prosecution) was Whitehouse v. Lemon in 1977, when Denis Lemon, the editor of Gay News, was found guilty. His newspaper had published James Kirkup's poem The Love that Dares to Speak its Name, which allegedly vilified Christ and his life. Lemon was fined £500 and given a suspended sentence of nine months imprisonment. It had been "touch and go", said the judge, whether he would actually send Lemon to jail.[54] In 2002, a deliberate and well-publicised public repeat reading of the poem took place on the steps of St Martin-in-the-Fields church in Trafalgar Square, but failed to lead to any prosecution.

The last person in Britain to be imprisoned for blasphemy was John William Gott on 9 December 1921. He had three previous convictions for blasphemy when he was prosecuted for publishing two pamphlets which satirised the biblical story of Jesus entering Jerusalem (Matthew 21:2-7), comparing Jesus to a circus clown. He was sentenced to nine months' hard labour.

The last prosecution for blasphemy in Scotland was in 1843.[55] In 1697, a Scottish court hanged Thomas Aikenhead for blasphemy.

On 5 March 2008, an amendment was passed to the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 which abolished the common law offences of blasphemy and blasphemous libel in England and Wales. (Common law is abolished, not repealed.) The Act received royal assent on 8 May 2008,[56][57] and the relevant section came into force on 8 July 2008.[58][59]

It has always been a wonderment to me that these gods are so puny and ineffectual that they must be protected by mere mortals. Kind'a defeats theistic philosophy, doesn't it?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/10/2010 06:00:00
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  05:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related matter, and to put a fine point on the topic:
Authorities in Ireland arrested seven Muslims who they say planned to kill a Swedish cartoonist after he drew a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad with a dog's body.

Irish police said the four men and three women arrested Tuesday planned to kill Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who in 2007 had drawn a caricature of Prophet Muhammad's head attached to the body of a dog to illustrate a newspaper editorial about freedom of expression and religion.

The seven, ranging from their mid-twenties to late forties, were from Morocco and Yemen but living legally in Ireland, according to Irish media reports.

Death threats

Vilks has a price on his head. A group connected to terrorist group al Qaeda had offered $100,000 (74,000 euros) to anyone who murdered him and a $50,000 bonus for doing it by slitting his throat. The same group offered a $50,000 reward for the murder of Ulf Johansson, the editor of the paper that published Vilks' drawing.

As the newspapers lack the onions to publish the cartoon in question, I have taken the liberty.

Not as good, from an art prospective, as the Danish bomb-in-the-doo-rag drawings, but evidently just as effective. I wonder; if Mr. Vilks should visit the Emerald Isle, will he get busted for blasphemy?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  06:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does nobody in the legal system see the stupidity in the assumption that an omnipotent omniscient god needs us to protect him? If I were the judge I would have the accused read their offending piece, redraw their cartoon, or whatever, and then wait 60 seconds for the lightning bolt or heart attack. If Yaweh doesn't defend himself in one minute the defendant walks. No harm no foul.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  07:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Does nobody in the legal system see the stupidity in the assumption that an omnipotent omniscient god needs us to protect him? If I were the judge I would have the accused read their offending piece, redraw their cartoon, or whatever, and then wait 60 seconds for the lightning bolt or heart attack. If Yaweh doesn't defend himself in one minute the defendant walks. No harm no foul.

Sorry 'bout the hijack, Rat; I hadn't realized I was doing it -- senile dementia creeps ever closer, ever closer.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  20:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this righteous indignation from the Vatican as the Pope gets truly angrified about being caught personally having protected and sheltered a child molesting priest. This happened when Ratzi was Archbishop of Munich and Freising. And the Pope has a handy former deputy who's trying to take the bullet to protect Ratzi:
. . .

Following a report in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper, the diocese of Munich and Freising confirmed earlier this week that then-Archbishop Ratzinger had let the priest, known only as H, stay at a vicarage in Munich for "therapy".

H had been suspected of forcing an 11-year-old boy to perform a sex act upon him in the northern city of Essen.

While he was in Munich, between February 1980 and August 1982, no wrongdoing was reported.

He was then transferred to the town of Grafing, where he was relieved of his duties in 1985 after allegations of child sex abuse, the diocese said.

In 1986, he was given an 18-month suspended jail sentence and a fine for sexually abusing minors, details of which were not given by the diocese.

Archbishop Ratzinger's former deputy, Gerhard Gruber, has taken responsibility for initially allowing H to remain within the Church, saying this had been "a bad mistake".

Speaking to the Associated Press, he added that there had been about 1,000 priests in the diocese at the time and that the archbishop "could not deal with everything".

. . .
This would all be hilarious, but for the "forcing an 11-year-old boy to perform a sex act upon him" part.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/14/2010 15:39:35
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  05:23:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Sorry 'bout the hijack, Rat; I hadn't realized I was doing it -- senile dementia creeps ever closer, ever closer.....

No sweat, I didn't see it as a hijack, just a comment.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  09:09:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that we now have 24 hour news channels and not just those one or two hour hour evening news programs on only three networks to cover everything. Expose these kretons, let there be no place to hide. Finally, the truth about about theists is getting the exposure they deserve. Child molesting perverted dirt bags priests. I'm sad there is no hell for them to go to.
What's this? Spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said there had been "aggressive" efforts to involve the Pope, but added: "It's clear that these attempts have failed." Not failed no me. Of course the pope helped hide this. They're delusional to the bone. Because they sell their line of crap to gullible idiots, they think everyone buys their line of BS. Seeing them squirm, priceless but it's not nearly enough. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:31:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

On a related matter, and to put a fine point on the topic:
Authorities in Ireland arrested seven Muslims who they say planned to kill a Swedish cartoonist after he drew a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad with a dog's body.

Irish police said the four men and three women arrested Tuesday planned to kill Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who in 2007 had drawn a caricature of Prophet Muhammad's head attached to the body of a dog to illustrate a newspaper editorial about freedom of expression and religion.

The seven, ranging from their mid-twenties to late forties, were from Morocco and Yemen but living legally in Ireland, according to Irish media reports.

Death threats

Vilks has a price on his head. A group connected to terrorist group al Qaeda had offered $100,000 (74,000 euros) to anyone who murdered him and a $50,000 bonus for doing it by slitting his throat. The same group offered a $50,000 reward for the murder of Ulf Johansson, the editor of the paper that published Vilks' drawing.

As the newspapers lack the onions to publish the cartoon in question, I have taken the liberty.

Not as good, from an art prospective, as the Danish bomb-in-the-doo-rag drawings, but evidently just as effective. I wonder; if Mr. Vilks should visit the Emerald Isle, will he get busted for blasphemy?

Those were just sketches he made while engaging in a debate about the importance of not imposing self-censorship, for fear of intimidation or physical threats. Islam became the natural target of the example, because of their intolerance of blasphemy and history of intimidation and violence against real or imagined trespassers.

The background to the imagery of the dog comes from a fairly new art-form that emerged in Sweden 5-10 years back: Someone made a simplistic sculpture of a dog, and placed it at the center of a roundabout. Eventually this caught on, and anonymous artists and artistic enthusiasts started making small statues of dogs from pieces of scrap, and placed them in roundabouts (or close to them) all over the country. Roundabout-dogs became a phenomenon. Whenever the authorities tried to remove these "unauthorized" displays, someone would make a new dog and put it out.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds.