"Finding meaning in meaninglessness?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  08:26:49  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems the atheist convention in Australia has attracted the attention of our friends at AiG. Ken Ham, he of the Cretin Museum, has posted some blather concerning it.

Over the next few days in my homeland of Australia, atheists are converging from around the world in the city of Melbourne for what many of the organizers are calling a “celebration of atheism.” I commented on this atheist meeting in my January 16 blog post and have adapted it here as a commentary on a convention that has apparently become so popular that it is a sell-out.

Yeah, I wish I could have gone. It begins to add a sort of balance to all of the prayer meetings, revivals, TV preachers, "Praise Jesus" billboards, street-corner evangelists, stories of Catholic, et al. paedophilia, and phony creation sideshows such as yours.

Let’s consider some of the down-to-earth practicalities of what a large convention of atheists is trying to accomplish as they hold this major international convention.

Okee-dokee.

If a person is an atheist, does not believe in a supernatural Being, and holds a blind-faith belief that the universe and life can be accounted for by natural processes (which is is now, by and large, taught in the public education system), then what happens when atheists die?

Same thing as what you get; a hole or an ash jug, and some folks grieving whilst others smirk and say how great it is that that son-of-a-bitch has finally croaked.

Of course, from their perspective, they cease to exist and wouldn’t know anything of their past life. Most atheists believe that eventually the whole universe will die a heat death, and ultimately there will be non-existence for everyone. So, then, what is the point of anything an atheist will do now anyway, when there will be a time (from their perspective) of no consciousness—nothing to be remembered? It will all be nothingness.

I might ask what is the point of following the teachings of any of the world's religions, other than to have someone else do your thinking for you? Thus, you shirk responsibility for your actions using the Bible, or the writings of some other religious quacks as an excuse. There is no "point" to be made, and by it's very nature, there is nothing wrong nor right with "nothingness."

Atheists may (subjectively) claim that they make their own meaning and purpose right now. But so what? What they decide is just a meaningless opinion anyway. They may claim (as some have) that all people should follow the “Golden Rule”—but, ultimately, why? And even if some atheists agree with accepting the Golden Rule, that is just their subjective opinion. Why shouldn’t others chose to have different “rules”? After all, if there is no absolute authority, everyone is free to make up rules if they want—and if they can get away with it.

It's called a conscience, Kenny. We all have one, to some degree, anyway. I find myself reminded of the huge amount of Christian viciousness we see and read of.

Today’s secularized era reminds me of verse 25 of Judges chapter 21: “In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

And Israel was the better off for it. Just look at the mess they're in today, when they have a "king."

If atheists were consistent (and they are not; they are living inconsistently in a world without purpose and meaning), why even bother to try and impose their views on others? Why get upset with Christians/creationists? Why spend so much money to put up billboards and place ads on buses? What’s the point anyway? Ultimately, no one alive will know he or she ever existed. Why bother trying to assist people in earthquake-devastated Chile or Haiti, for example?

OMFG! Do you have any idea how many Christian bill boards there are in this country? I don't either, but there are a shit-load of them. Just try traveling across almost any state and check it out. Hell, you can't even drive across the county without passing a dozen and more churchs, each with their funky, little sign in the yard. By comparison, the atheist ads are a lot less than one percent. The same holds for public buses and subways.

I suppose there are evangelical atheists here & there, but I don't know any. Of course, if you consider ridicule to be evangelism, then the tally gets a lot higher.

In the Creation Museum’s backyard, a billboard in Cincinnati proclaims the atheistic worldview of meaninglessness and purposelessness.

And that just burns your holy-rollin' ass, doesn't it?

Now, I totally agree that we should help such needy people in Chile and Haiti, and that’s because my worldview is based on an absolute authority, the Bible—not just an opinion. The teachings of Scripture dictate that I love my neighbor and help them in their need. But why should atheists care?

It's that conscience thing again. We don't need a book of fables to push us into taking care, as best we can, of victims of geological misfortune. I gave, as I'm sure others here did as well.

Now, they can say it is important to be philanthropic, but from a consistent atheistic philosophy, why? If we are all just matter—mere molecules in the universe—and our consciousness will cease one day, ultimately what’s the point of doing anything—including gathering at a convention in Australia to discuss something participants don’t believe exists (God)? Atheists can offer whatever subjective opinions they want, but, ultimately, why does it matter so much to them?

I might ask the same of Judea-Christianity. Christian beliefs state that everyone gets to sit and worship God for eternity. I really can't think of a duller scene; no thought, no creativity. It makes nothingness look pretty good.

Only Christianity and its teachings can explain the purpose and meaning of this world—and also gives the basis for right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

Bullshit. Where's the evidence?

Ultimately, I submit that atheists are shaking their fist at the very God they claim does not exist. In essence, they are refusing to be accountable to anyone. They don’t want to recognize their sinful nature and that they are in rebellion against God. Furthermore, they don’t want to acknowledge that they are in need of salvation. Essentially, they want to be their own “gods.”

An atheist by definition is one who doesn't believe in God and in many cases are disrespectful of those who preach the Gospel. It seems futile to me to "shake fists" at what doesn't exist. The obnoxious preachers, on the other hand, do exist. You've got it exactly backward.

This phenomenon also happened in Genesis chapter 3, where Satan came to Adam and Eve and tempted them with the promise: “You can be as gods.” In other words, you shouldn’t obey God—become your own god. Today, that remains humankind’s basic problem—people want to be their own god, and they continue to rebel against the true God.

Oh. gimmie a break! While I love the Book of Genesis, it is really no more than the beginning of a guilt trip, and yet another attempt at dodging responsibility: "It's all the fault of that fucking Adam and his skanky bitch! Wasn't for them, we wouldn't be in this mess!"

Ok, describe Satan and tell me where I might find the fellow.

Answers in Genesis is an organization dedicated to taking the message of salvation to all people (including atheists) and declaring that God Himself stepped into history to pay the penalty for our sin so that a relationship with our Creator can be restored—and then we will live with our Creator for eternity. That is the true purpose and meaning of life.

The meaning of life, the universe and everything is 42.

AiG is an organization dedicated to spreading myths that only the seriously brainwashed would accept. For an example, I submit the Creation Museum in Petersburg KY. It is filled with attractive exhibits, each of them explained with an unabashed and outright lie.

And as the Bible reminds us in Romans 1, we are all “without excuse.” The atheists gathering in Melbourne are “without excuse”; it is written on their hearts that there is a God. For all their raving, ranting, and name-calling, these atheists will stand before God one day—and they will exist for eternity, though sadly they will be separated from God unless they repent and receive the free gift of salvation.

More bullshit. Please give examples of atheists "ranting and raving." Beside the preachers, we come off as calm to nigh comatose. And no one, God nor Demon, has ever tattooed anything on anyone's heart, nor any other internal organ for that matter.

To fully understand the right way to think logically about the existence of God, including how to engage a non-Christian in conversation about the God of the Bible, I encourage you to obtain a copy of The Ultimate Proof by Dr. Jason Lisle of our staff and the DVD set Ultimate Apologetics that presents the material in his book. You can obtain both these items from the online bookstore.

Here we go again; buy the book and learn to argue with atheists. Ok, fine, read that book, then bring it on.....

Also, find out how Answers in Genesis is equipping Christians to have answers to boldly defend the Christian faith in an increasingly secular culture—and through various media channels—by going to IAmNotAshamed.org. By the way, here is the website for the atheist convention in Australia.

If the faith is so great, why do you need to defend it? Or would not defending it shrink the profit margin?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/13/2010 09:28:18

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  11:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Of course, from their perspective, they cease to exist and wouldn’t know anything of their past life. Most atheists believe that eventually the whole universe will die a heat death, and ultimately there will be non-existence for everyone. So, then, what is the point of anything an atheist will do now anyway, when there will be a time (from their perspective) of no consciousness—nothing to be remembered? It will all be nothingness.

There can be no greater example of anthropomorphising than in the presumption of a purpose to the universe.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  11:19:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, heat death for the universe? That went out of style a while ago.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  11:40:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Atheists may (subjectively) claim that they make their own meaning and purpose right now. But so what? What they decide is just a meaningless opinion anyway. They may claim (as some have) that all people should follow the “Golden Rule”—but, ultimately, why? And even if some atheists agree with accepting the Golden Rule, that is just their subjective opinion. Why shouldn’t others chose to have different “rules”? After all, if there is no absolute authority, everyone is free to make up rules if they want—and if they can get away with it.

It's called a conscience, Kenny. We all have one, to some degree, anyway. I find myself reminded of the huge amount of Christian viciousness we see and read of.

Is it not true that consciences tell different people different things? Even if it were constant in all people, what basis do we have to accept that conscience is a worthwhile guide? Some credit its existence evolution (Dawkins?), some credit social environment -- in either case, why is it worth following?

In the evolutionary case, if conscience is posited as our primary guide, would this not mean our primary goal is actually preserving the species? I have to admit, it's not that important to me -- I care about people living now, but I cannot say I lose any sleep over the possible struggles of humans born many generations after my death.

If it's from environment, it's just another unverified teaching ingrained by society, no better than religion as far as I can tell.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 03/13/2010 12:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  15:25:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if we give Ham that there actually is an absolute authority, we still wouldn't know what our purpose is since we don't know what purpose the absolute authority has for us. Ham's purpose is just as subjective as anyone else's.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  17:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is easy. Again, I cut through the BS, straight to the OP's title. It's there, the first two syllables of "meaninglessness." What's Ham's prize?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.