Denyse, Denyse...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely venture into the rank stupidity of uncommondescent anymore. The brain cell apoptosis that inevitably follows gives me a headache. Let me give an example. Denyse O'Leary, chief tardette, talks about how important natural selection is to speciation (March 13th, 2010. No link provided. I'm afraid that the SFN server might collapse). She quotes an article in New Scientist that states:
“When it works, it works remarkably well,” he says. “But it only works in about 6 per cent of cases. It doesn’t seem to be a general way that groups of species fill out their niches.”

All very well. It doesn't seem that natural selection does it most of the time. How does Denyse respond to this:
Then Darwin’s theory just barely makes it to statistical significance, conventionally given as 4 per cent.

A few points:

1. Statistical significance is usually set at 5 percent. Denyse fails.
2. Something is usually deemed statistically significant if it's p-value is less than 5 percent. Denyse fails.
3. The 6 percent value from the article she links to is not a test of statistical significance. Her comparison is meaningless. Denyse fails.
4. In the comments, when called on point 3 above, she claims that the 4 percent had to do with opinon polls.............. Denyse fails.
5. 4 percent is not conventionally used in the margin of error for opinon polls.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  08:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's people like Denyse who make the rest of us hack writers look bad.

It's been a spell since I've visited UD. It's boring. It all seems to run together; no variation at all. And I've been banned from the forum anyway, so it scarcly seems worth the keystrokes to get there.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  11:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lost 5 IQ points when I read this on AtBC. I lost another 5 for just opening this thread.

Dammit.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  14:17:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a thorough takedown, Hawks.

It has just struck me that, for people who claim all knowledge springs full-blown and perfect from ancient scriptures, Creationists certainly are avid to make up their own facts.

Denyse of all people should not attempt this, as she's simply way, way too ignorant and stupid to pull off the kind of fiction writing which will allow the reader to suspend disbelief even for a moment.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  15:57:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I lost 5 IQ points when I read this on AtBC. I lost another 5 for just opening this thread.

Dammit.

I lost my lunch when I saw the picture that HalfMooner posted.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.