Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  19:59:11  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to CNN:
At least 7 arrested after raids in 3 states
By the CNN Wire Staff
March 28, 2010 10:30 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Federal authorities plan to unseal charges Monday against several people arrested in a series of weekend raids in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, prosecutors in Detroit said Sunday.

At least seven people were arrested on charges that were under seal over the weekend, a law enforcement source said Sunday.

Gina Balaya, spokeswoman for the U.S attorney's office in Detroit, said those charges will be revealed during a federal court hearing Monday.

Mike Lackomar, a county leader for the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia, said the target of the raid was a Christian militia group called the Hutaree. The group proclaims on a Web site that it is "preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive."

The FBI would disclose no details of the raids. The law enforcement source told CNN the arrests were unrelated to any terrorist plot. The source would not confirm Hutaree members were among those arrested, but said the suspects were not planning attacks against government targets and the raids were unrelated to recent threats against members of Congress.

At least two arrests were made in Huron and Sandusky, Ohio, but the case is being handled out of Detroit, said Scott Wilson, an FBI spokesman in Cleveland.
The Southern Poverty Law Center, which track hate groups, has little, but lists them on their "Active 'Patriot' Groups in the United States in 2009" page.

The Hutaree itself has this Web site. That site looks crazy-dangerous from the first glance on.

Wikipedia has just a little on the organization, but a fair number of links:

Hutaree is a Christian militia based in Adrian, Michigan. According to their website, Hutaree means "Christian soldier".[1] The members say are preparing for battle with the Anti-Christ. On March 28, 2010, seven people were arrested for allegedly selling pipe bombs in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. A spokesman for Michiganmilitia.com, Mike Lackomar, said he was told that "FBI targeted the Hutaree after its members made threats of violence against Islamic organizations." Though it is an apocalyptic organization, the Hutaree Doctrine, outlined on their website, promotes a view that the apocalypse is not necessarily at hand, and that the "wise" are those who are willing to wait an indefinite amount of time without losing faith.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/28/2010 21:40:47

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Brayton (also known for his blog, Dispatches from the Culture Wars) posts this at the Michigan Messenger:
Hutaree member posts message
By Ed Brayton 3/28/10 5:33 PM Digg Tweet

On the Hutaree message board, an apparent member of the group named Anna left a message with some details of what happened. She says the FBI raid came into their home and she and one child escaped and are now driving south. Here’s the full message:

The Federal Authorities have raided not only our group but also the Michigan Militia. They have hijacked their website and placed word there that they were not raided.

We need some help please. This has to stop. I am enroute south with my children using the wifi’s as I can.

They were catching others as they came to their rallying points, they broke into homes and took children and used the tasers on wives, my son who is 12 and I got out by crawling through the creeks behind our house.

My husband and others are taken, please call the press and tell them, if any in the Michigan Militia is still free please rally with them.
Please help.

Here's another item in the Michigan Messenger:
Reports: FBI raids militia group in Adrian
By Todd A. Heywood 3/28/10 5:22 PM Digg Tweet

Several Michigan news outlets are reporting that the FBI, Homeland Security, the Joint Terrorism Task Force and local law enforcement authorities have executed numerous search warrants related to a conservative Christian militia group located in Adrian. Reports indicate five people had been arrested.

The raids occurred Saturday night in the Lenawee county town of Adrian and focused on members of the group Hutaree. Hutaree bills itself as Christian group that “will one day see its enemy and meet him on the battlefield if so God wills it.” It also claims on its website to be “Preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center reports Hutaree is one of 47 active militia groups in Michigan.

While some news sources have reported the raids were directed at the Michigan Militia, the raids and arrests in Michigan were directed at Hutaree.

Lee Miracle, coordinator for the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia, says his group was not connected with Hutaree. He said his group withdrew from working with Hutaree because members of Hutaree were “forceful towards recruiting,” and “they had this you’re with us or against us mentality.”

Miracle said his group is secular, interested in protecting the Constitution, while Hutaree was a religious group that excluded people who did not believe in their particular brand of Christian thought.

“They think the end times are coming and they need to protect themselves and even worse, enforce their Christian beliefs on others after the end times,” Miracle said of Hutaree’s beliefs.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/28/2010 21:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Lee Miracle sounds like a font of rationality compared to the Hutaree folks, doesn't he?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:15:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, Lee Miracle sounds like a font of rationality compared to the Hutaree folks, doesn't he?
Relatively, yes. I'm so glad that the batshit insane Right in this nation is so divided. Imagine how much more dangerous things would be if they had good organization and a charismatic leadership.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  00:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems they are antisemite scum, too. What a surprise. This is another article on Hutaree:
Hutaree Christian militia: God, Guns, and 'evil' Jews... FBI reportedly moves in

By D. Scriber l Published: Sunday, March 28 2010 16:15

hutreeaA handful of people have been arrested by the FBI's anti-terrorism task force in connection with an investigation of an Adrian, Michigan-based Christian militia group -- Hutaree, a group that claims it is made up of Christian soldiers preparing for a war with the anti-Christ. Over the weekend, a large number of agents, aided by helicopters and the Department of Homeland Security, swept through Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana in raids that were apparently part of a probe into the group's activities, claim numerous news reports from the Detroit area that quote FBI officials and/or unnamed sources. More will be known tomorrow because suspects are expected to appear in U.S. District Court in Detroit. The arrests are sure to thrust the little-known Hutaree group into the national spotlight. A group of men dressed in combat gear pose for a photo in a forested area, armed with assault rifles, on the group's website along with the statement, "Preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive."

The group further explains itself on the website: "We, the Hutaree, are prepared to defend all those who belong to Christ and save those who aren't. We will still spread the word, and fight to keep it, up to the time of the great coming. Being Hutaree is to stay the Testimony of Christ alive, and follow a motto, John15:13, 'Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.'"

The Hutaree's website also has online forums, including one called the "Evil Jew Forum," where people "talk about being an evil Jew and how we are taking over the world in our own private forum where no one else can see. Shalomi or something."
[My emphasis.]

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  06:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit it, sometimes I find Mooner's sense of humour enigmatic.

I missed the punchline again, I guess.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  12:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the latest news:
Nine members of a Michigan-based Christian militia group have been indicted on sedition and weapons charges in connection with an alleged plot to murder law enforcement officers in hopes of setting off an anti-government uprising.
Wow.
The indictment charged that between August 2008 and the present, the defendants - led by David Brian Stone, 45, who also used the name "Captain Hutaree" - developed a conspiracy that they hoped would result in a war against the United States government. They allegedly decided they would kill a local law enforcement officer, and then bomb the funeral caravan. The killings "would intimidate and demoralize law enforcement diminishing their ranks and rendering them ineffective," it said.

Afterward, the indictment said, Hutaree members would retreat to several "rally points" and wage war against the government, using prepared fighting positions as well as "trip-wired and command-detonated" bombs.

"It is believed by the Hutaree that this engagement would then serve as a catalyst for a more wide-spread uprising against the government," the indictment said.
I wonder how that was supposed to work.

By the way, "Hutaree" is a word they made up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  13:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

I admit it, sometimes I find Mooner's sense of humour enigmatic.

I missed the punchline again, I guess.
!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  13:45:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It is believed by the Hutaree that this engagement would then serve as a catalyst for a more wide-spread uprising against the government," the indictment said.

Not only are they crazy, their also idiots, apparently.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  14:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Some of the latest news
I'm glad to see that "sedition" is being charged. It rarely is, but surely fits these guys. Treason and sedition have become fashionable recently largely because these militia wingnuts seem to think they can get away with it forever. They were likely inspired by the Religious Right antics of Palin, Bachmann and Boehner, who have shot off their mouths in a way that has at very least flirted with and hinted at sedition.

What grandiose, unrealistic plan! (Read: "Flat out delusions-of-grandeur-grade craziness"). This went way beyond what I'd thought they'd be arrested for, ie the rumors of bomb selling and plans/threats to kill Muslims.

The Hutaree strategy makes John Brown's Harper's Ferry raid looks a model of careful planning by comparison. I'm so glad these toy soldiers were rounded up without (so far) any deaths. No telling how many other "militias" run by other madmen would look to these fools as martyred heroes if that had happened.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  15:02:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Not only are they crazy, their also idiots, apparently.
I think it's their version of "okay, at 2:24, we all stand on our desks and moon the teacher, agreed?"

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  17:35:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the full Hutaree indictment.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  17:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the stupidest part of the Hutaree action plan was to include local law enforcement officer on their enemies list.

Even the wacko John Birch Society (now making a comeback as cosponsors of right-wing gatherings) was smart enough in the early 1960's to use the bumper-sticker slogan, "Support your local police." That position gave them some traction with "State Rights" segregationists and the eternal IRS haters, while opposing the "communists" supposedly running Washington. The Hutaree are idiots, thank goodness.

That the Hutaree were arrested on a Federal Grand Jury indictment implies that a long term surveillance and infiltration has targeted the group, perhaps for years. You can bet that the evidence will turn out to be substantial, including secret recordings and the testimony of police agents and "turned" members. The trial should be fun to watch, and a cautionary tale for would-be copycats.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  18:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
That the Hutaree were arrested on a Federal Grand Jury indictment implies that a long term surveillance and infiltration has targeted the group, perhaps for years. You can bet that the evidence will turn out to be substantial, including secret recordings and the testimony of police agents and "turned" members. The trial should be fun to watch, and a cautionary tale for would-be copycats.

Agreed, feds almost always build their case before indicting.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  19:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Brayton will be on Rachel Maddow's show tonight to talk about the Hutaree case:
It looks like I'm going to be on the Rachel Maddow show again tonight to talk about this Christian militia group Hutaree and the arrest of their leaders over the weekend. We're still working out all the details (going to a studio vs sending a satellite truck to my house), but it looks like it's going to happen. So tune in at 9 pm EST.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  19:23:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's where you can find that video of Ed Brayton on Rachel Maddow.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.